ECS K7S5A motherboard

Post by dave » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 02:41:56

Hello,
    Does anyone have any experience with this motherboard with fbsd5, either
good or bad? Are there any performance tips i could use to get the best out
of it? It's got a duron 1.2 ghz processor, and 384 mb of ddr 133 ram.
Thanks.
Dave.

ECS K7S5A motherboard

Post by Martin Styrno » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 04:11:53

> Hello,
> Does anyone have any experience with this motherboard with fbsd5,
> either good or bad?

The SIS chipset seems to make problems if you have a geforce-graphics
card and want to use the nvidia drivers. I tried to get them running on
my pc (same mainboard), but i got only green stripes on my screen.

martin

ECS K7S5A motherboard

Post by dave » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 04:59:20

Hello,
    Thanks. What about motherboard performance as it relates to hard drives,
is there anything i have to do to tweak this? The card in said machine for
now is an ATI 128.
Thanks.
Dave.

ECS K7S5A motherboard

Post by CyBorg_009 » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 09:04:46

I have this board which runs Freebsd 5.0 ,it runs great but have not had
time to see if the sound will work or other silly consumer stuff,but is
connected to the network as a desktop machine.

Quote:> Hello,
>     Thanks. What about motherboard performance as it relates to hard
drives,
> is there anything i have to do to tweak this? The card in said machine for
> now is an ATI 128.
> Thanks.
> Dave.

ECS K7S5A motherboard

Post by CyBorg 009 » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 18:31:38

> Hello,
>     Thanks. What about motherboard performance as it relates to hard drives,
> is there anything i have to do to tweak this? The card in said machine for
> now is an ATI 128.
> Thanks.
> Dave.

Could not get the sound to work

ECS K7S5A motherboard

Post by William Clard » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 21:44:35

>Hello,
>    Does anyone have any experience with this motherboard with fbsd5, either
>good or bad? Are there any performance tips i could use to get the best out
>of it? It's got a duron 1.2 ghz processor, and 384 mb of ddr 133 ram.
>Thanks.
>Dave.

That's almost the exact configuration which I'm running my family
server on (I've got a 1.1 GHz duron). I'm currently running 5.0 on it
with SAMBA, the UW IMAP service, sendmail, ISC's DHCP 3, Bind 9,
squid, Apache plus PHP4, OpenSSL, PostgreSQL, and Webmin all purring
along very smoothly.

FWIW, I've already cvsup-ed the source tree for 5.1, so I'm planning
on doing a "make build kernel KERNCONF=CLARDY" and "make build world"
sometime in the next few days to upgrade it to 5.1.

Bill Clardy

1. sound and ECS K7S5A motherboard

Hello,

Having sound issues with an ECS K7S5A board (SiS 735 chipset). My fear is
that the video card, or some other PCI card, is causing problems. Here is
what happens:

When playing mp3's (doesn't matter which app - xmms, freeamp etc), putting
any sort of load on the video display causes sound output to stutter and
drop out. In Windowmaker, changing virtual desktops, or even just loading
a semi-large page in Opera is enough to cause the problem.

Or expanding an Eterm window will cause it to happen, as it redraws the
background image to scale.

Heavier system loads (like sorting a few hundred thousand articles in Pan
from my Giganews account) can sometimes cause issues as well. But it
really has to be working hard (load average over 1), and doesn't seem to
be as big a culprit.

Here is what makes me wonder about PCI issues -- doing any of these
things does not affect the playback of plain old CDs. .

I've tried several different sound cards (Solo, C-Media) using several
different output methods. OSS drivers, ALSA, all to no avail.

It's an Athlon 1.33GHz, running Debian 'Woody'.

Not sure what else will be relevant, so here is an lspci to give you an
idea of the board's config:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 735 Host (rev 01)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5591/5592 AGP
00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 85C503/5513
00:02.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 7001 (rev 07)
00:02.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 7001 (rev 07)
00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE] (rev d0)
00:03.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900
10/100 Ethernet (rev 90)
00:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology ES1969 Solo-1
Audiodrive (rev 01)
00:0d.0 VGA compatible controller: 3Dfx Interactive, Inc. Voodoo 3 (rev 01)
00:0f.0 SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AIC-7881U
00:11.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905 100BaseTX [Boomerang]

I've just upgraded from an old PII system, with an ISA SB Awe64, so PCI
sound is new to me. The old card worked great and I miss it already :)

So, some of my questions are as follows:
1) am I the victim of a poor motherboard design/PCI implementaion?
2) have I just tested using 2 crappy sound cards?
3) Would perhaps moving to an AGP vid card somehow help out?

Any insight that anyone can give would be helpful. The board was priced
right for the features it has. It has been solid in every way, minus this
sound issue. Is there anything I can do, or am I doomed? ;)

thanks in advance for any help.

jef

2. ANNOUNCE: QuickPort, the fastest route from Windows - UNIX & DOS !

3. HELP: finding NIC driver for ECS K7S5A motherboard

4. JPEG is not JPEG ?

5. How to get working NVidia AGP on ECS K7S5A motherboard (SIS 735)?

6. BILLYG parrody pictures web site!

7. ECS k7s5a motherboard doesnt work

8. color printing

9. ECS K7S5A Motherboard Problems?

10. ECS k7s5a motherboards-linux compatibility?

11. Network adapter on ECS K7S5A Pro

12. sis7012 audio on ecs k7s5a not working

13. debian + ECS K7S5A + ethernet