No power off at shutdown

Post by Jochen Stei » Tue, 05 Feb 2002 06:06:14

Hello!
I (newbie to FreeBSD) installed FreeBSD 4.5 on a PC with a GA 686BX
(Gigabyte) Board, and
i wonder, which BIOS or FreeBSD - setting i do have to set in order to
power down the whole system with the command "shutdown -p now".

The last message i get is "The operating system has haltet - Please
press any key to reboot".

Can you help me?

Jochen

No power off at shutdown

Post by Stephen Montgomery-Smit » Tue, 05 Feb 2002 06:13:15

> Hello!
> I (newbie to FreeBSD) installed FreeBSD 4.5 on a PC with a GA 686BX
> (Gigabyte) Board, and
> i wonder, which BIOS or FreeBSD - setting i do have to set in order to
> power down the whole system with the command "shutdown -p now".

> The last message i get is "The operating system has haltet - Please
> press any key to reboot".

> Can you help me?

> Jochen

Just guessing here, but maybe you need
apm_enable="YES"
in /etc/rc.conf, and
device          apm0    at nexus? flags 0x20 # Advanced Power Management
in your kernel config.  Well, these are what I have.

--
Stephen Montgomery-Smith

http://www.math.missouri.edu/~stephen

No power off at shutdown

Post by Robert Altschaffe » Tue, 05 Feb 2002 06:56:21

> Just guessing here, but maybe you need
> apm_enable="YES"
> in /etc/rc.conf, and
> device          apm0    at nexus? flags 0x20 # Advanced Power Management
> in your kernel config.  Well, these are what I have.

> --
> Stephen Montgomery-Smith

> http://www.math.missouri.edu/~stephen

yep...it is...if i halt using the generic kernel, i have a power off - if i halt using my custom kernel ( with not apm ) it don't powers off

No power off at shutdown

Post by Jochen Stei » Tue, 05 Feb 2002 17:22:26

>>Hello!
>>I (newbie to FreeBSD) installed FreeBSD 4.5 on a PC with a GA 686BX
>>(Gigabyte) Board, and
>>i wonder, which BIOS or FreeBSD - setting i do have to set in order to
>>power down the whole system with the command "shutdown -p now".

>>The last message i get is "The operating system has haltet - Please
>>press any key to reboot".

>>Can you help me?

>>Jochen

> Just guessing here, but maybe you need
> apm_enable="YES"
> in /etc/rc.conf, and
> device          apm0    at nexus? flags 0x20 # Advanced Power Management
> in your kernel config.  Well, these are what I have.

I do have those settings in the conf-files, but the PC this does not power down. Maybe it is a BIOS setting i do not have set up right??

E.g. "PNP BIOS yes/NO", or some Powermanagement stuff.
But on the  othe hand: Before i installed FreeBSD on this machine, i
installed (yes, i tries a few systems ;-) ) Mandrake Linux with just the
same BIOS setiings and Power off after logging out worked fine! (???)
Any other suggestions?

Greetings

Jochen

No power off at shutdown

Post by Vitaly Markitanto » Tue, 05 Feb 2002 18:10:33

> I do have those settings in the conf-files, but the PC this does not power down. Maybe it is a BIOS setting i do not have set up right??

> E.g. "PNP BIOS yes/NO", or some Powermanagement stuff.
> But on the  othe hand: Before i installed FreeBSD on this machine, i
> installed (yes, i tries a few systems ;-) ) Mandrake Linux with just the
> same BIOS setiings and Power off after logging out worked fine! (???)
> Any other suggestions?

> Greetings

> Jochen

I think, apm in FreeBSD is buggy and unstable :(
When i include apm in kernel, then somtimes system startup hangs just when tries
to detect apm device. So, for me, i just kick out options apm from my kernel config

--

                             phone: 332-23-90, 99-87-15

No power off at shutdown

Post by Michel TALO » Tue, 05 Feb 2002 19:37:59

: I think, apm in FreeBSD is buggy and unstable :(
: When i include apm in kernel, then somtimes system startup hangs just when tries
: to detect apm device. So, for me, i just kick out options apm from my kernel config

Strange, for me it works without problem. May depend on the BIOS and
in particular on the new ACPI features. For example it is well known
that WIN98 has problems on some ACPI computers (the machines go to sleep
and cannot be recovered).

: --

:                             phone: 332-23-90, 99-87-15

--

Michel TALON

No power off at shutdown

Post by Vitaly Markitanto » Tue, 05 Feb 2002 21:42:44

> : I think, apm in FreeBSD is buggy and unstable :(
> : When i include apm in kernel, then somtimes system startup hangs just when tries
> : to detect apm device. So, for me, i just kick out options apm from my kernel config

> Strange, for me it works without problem. May depend on the BIOS and
> in particular on the new ACPI features. For example it is well known
> that WIN98 has problems on some ACPI computers (the machines go to sleep
> and cannot be recovered).

Looks like my hardware (board Intel D815EEA + celeron600 cpu) have this ACPI feature,
because under win98 it really cannot be recovered from sleep mode.

--

                             phone: 332-23-90, 99-87-15

No power off at shutdown

Post by Michel TALO » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 00:49:09

: Looks like my hardware (board Intel D815EEA + celeron600 cpu) have this ACPI feature,
: because under win98 it really cannot be recovered from sleep mode.

Well i have an Abit KT7 and indeed Win98 goes to sleep forever :)
(There is a workaround it is to install Win98 with a special flag
which removes ACPI support, try searching google). But apm works OK
under Linux and FreeBSD. I have even installed linux 2.4.16 and enjoyed
seeing the power button properly performing a shutdown on the machine
(so Linux ACPI supports works). The problem is that many motherboards have
very crappy ACPI support, to the point that even apm does not work any
more, not to mention ACPI. At present ACPI support is developed in
FreeBSD-CURRENT, but people have hard time smoothing out things for
all existing mobos under the sun.

: --

:                             phone: 332-23-90, 99-87-15

--

Michel TALON

No power off at shutdown

Post by <mis.. » Sat, 09 Feb 2002 07:41:03

>I think, apm in FreeBSD is buggy and unstable :(

"Stop talking about who is a good people, the time to become one of them..."

:)

--
BR, Mishka.

No power off at shutdown

Post by Chri » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 09:03:02

Hi,
I also had this problem.
I tried what you mentioned and now, the power goes off after shutdown

It works fine.
Chris

> > Hello!
> > I (newbie to FreeBSD) installed FreeBSD 4.5 on a PC with a GA 686BX
> > (Gigabyte) Board, and
> > i wonder, which BIOS or FreeBSD - setting i do have to set in order to
> > power down the whole system with the command "shutdown -p now".

> > The last message i get is "The operating system has haltet - Please
> > press any key to reboot".

> > Can you help me?

> > Jochen

> Just guessing here, but maybe you need
> apm_enable="YES"
> in /etc/rc.conf, and
> device          apm0    at nexus? flags 0x20 # Advanced Power Management
> in your kernel config.  Well, these are what I have.

> --
> Stephen Montgomery-Smith

> http://www.math.missouri.edu/~stephen

1. RH 7.2 Power Management, power-off on shutdown?

Hi,

I  am using  an SMP  machine  (Tyan 1836  dual uprocessors).  Previous
versions of  RH allowed me  to power-off the machine  during shutdown,
but  I  am  not  able  to  shutoff the  power  using  RH  7.2.   Tried
recompiling the kernel,  etc.  Has anyone gotten power-off  to work on
an SMP?  I would love some suggestions.

Thanks,

marc

--

2. Just test

3. v2.4.1-v2.4.3pre2 doesnt power off by halt or shutdown -h

4. Backupprogramm SCSI DAT

5. Auto power off on shutdown?

6. OSI Stack for Linux

7. How can I use power off on shutdown with my DFI K6-XV3+ - mainboard?

8. poor network performance / TX overruns

9. Shutdown won't Power-off using SuSE-6.1

10. No power off on shutdown

11. power off after shutdown command

12. Can power-off call shutdown ?

13. Power off on shutdown