PCMCIA

Post by J. Goldstei » Thu, 30 May 1996 04:00:00

I got the PCMCIA installation disk from a site that someone had posted
in this news group... I tried booting from it but it didn't seem to work
because it gave me an error message saying cannot find /dev/pcmcia or
whatever it was... I even tried editing the startup using the -c option
switching com3's info with com2's...since the pc card almost always goes
on com3...can some1 plz help me? I'd really like to get freebsd
installed on my notebook...later

J.G.

PCMCIA

Post by HOSOKAWA Tatsu » Tue, 04 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>> I got the PCMCIA installation disk from a site that someone had posted
>> in this news group... I tried booting from it but it didn't seem to work
>> because it gave me an error message saying cannot find /dev/pcmcia or
>> whatever it was...

I think that it's because PC card bridge in your laptop is not
supported by PC-card package of FreeBSD.  For example, Databook TCIC
and Cirrus Logic CLPD-6729 have not been supportted yet.

Quote:>> I even tried editing the startup using the -c option
>> switching com3's info with com2's...since the pc card almost always goes
>> on com3...can some1 plz help me? I'd really like to get freebsd
>> installed on my notebook...later

It makes no difference.

What's the type of PC card bridge of your laptop?

--

          WWW homepage: http://www.mt.cs.keio.ac.jp/person/hosokawa.html
        Department of Computer Science, Keio University, Yokohama, Japan

PCMCIA

Post by HOSOKAWA Tatsu » Wed, 05 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>> I think that it's because PC card bridge in your laptop is not
>> supported by PC-card package of FreeBSD.  For example, Databook TCIC
>> and Cirrus Logic CLPD-6729 have not been supportted yet.

Somebody misunderstood this sentence.  It does *NOT* mean that *ALL*
Cirrus Logic PCMCIA bridge is not supported.  It's not true!

Our package supports,
        Intel i82365SL (and compatibles),
        Cirrus Logic CLPD-6710, 6720, 6722,
        IBM PCIC, King,
        Ricoh RF5C396,
        Vadem 468, 469,
        VLSI 82C146.

--

          WWW homepage: http://www.mt.cs.keio.ac.jp/person/hosokawa.html
        Department of Computer Science, Keio University, Yokohama, Japan

1. Socket Enet PCMCIA and Socket/Trimble GPS PCMCIA on SCO

I'm responsible for getting Socket Ethernet PCMCIA and Socket/Trimble
GPS PCMCIA cards working on several SCO Unix systems.  I'm having
problems with the gps card on my custom 486/33 boxes.

Setup:  Socket EA Lan Adapter
        Socket/Trimble GPS Card
        SCO Unix
        Wimsey?/Socket? Driver
        Hardware: Either IBM Thinkpad or custom 486/33 Box

This setup works fine on the Thinkpad, but fails on the custom box.
What do I mean by failure?  On the Thinkpad, the driver finds
/dev/tty2a available for use, but on the custom box, tty2a is busy
(for some reason), and so the driver tries to use tty3a.

I've done "mkdev serial" several times to make sure tty3a exists.  It
does.  The call to (Unix) open(...) succeeds, we initialize/write
packets to the port, but we never read anything, the call to read()
just blocks forever.  Something's not right.

I've tried several things to jar it loose.  I've altered the irq to be
used for IBM-COM3 in /etc/conf/pack.d/sio/space.c (from 12 to
11,10,5).  I've tried enabling the #defines for SEL_COM3.  But still I
have no success.  I've also tried using COM4 for that matter.

I should say that the unix-boot messages indicate presence of the
Trimble GPS card, so I know the card is plugged into the PCMCIA card
ok.  I've tried the same gps cards in my Thinkpads, and they work just
fine.  I've also tried switching the enet card and the gps card
between slots.  Enet card works, but gps doesn't.

Do you have any documentation or other guidance on how to use
the Socket/Wimsey cards/drivers with SCO Unix?  Do you have any direct
experience with this configuration?  Do you have any references to
other users with this kind of configuration?  Do you have any
references to internet sources for help?

Desperate for help.
--

2. Problem w/ SCO UNIX 3.2.4.2 with printer permission on DG 2600

3. Hawking Wireless PCMCIA card / pcmcia-cs

4. Screen goes black

5. Texas Instrument PCI7420 PCMCIA controlers don't see any PCMCIA Card

6. cgi file not found

7. Sucessful PCMCIA Setup w/ pcmcia-cs-3.0.1

8. Linux 2.5.34-ct1

9. Win98 PCMCIA -> Linux : no more PCMCIA

10. Having problem with PCMCIA and USR Sportster PCMCIA modem

11. Eiger Labs SS1000 PCMCIA / Fujitsu SCSI600 PCMCIA

12. PCMCIA Grey Cell Network Card and PCMCIA Modem don't work together

13. only show the PCMCIA/CardBus submenu if "PCMCIA/CardBus support" is selected