FreeBSD 2.1.0 install on a Micron 486 VLB/EISA PC causing grief

FreeBSD 2.1.0 install on a Micron 486 VLB/EISA PC causing grief

Post by rajesh vaidheeswarra » Fri, 12 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I am trying to install FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE on a Micron 486 PC (VLB/EISA)
[I know it is not the machine I should be using, but lets not discuss that
issue now ], and all is well till I try to use the ep0 interface with the
3c509 card.

Irrespective of whether I try an NFS install or an FTP install, the machine
just spews the error (along with questionable DEBUG messages):

DEBUG: Init routine called for network device ep0.
Output=786432 Inflate_error=1 igz.error=0 error2=0 where=279
Output=786432 Inflate_error=1 igz.error=0 error2=0 where=279
Output=786432 Inflate_error=1 igz.error=0 error2=0 where=279
DEBUG: Network initialized successfully.

(and if NFS, it also says:)

DEBUG: Mounted NFS device lamprey-eth:/usr/export/common/freesd/2.1.0-RELEASE

I know this is not true because, at this point I dont see the link light on
my hub, and the install also stops with either (depending on whether I chose
FTP or NFS):

   Cannot resolve hostname 'ftp.freebsd.org'! Are you sure that your name
   server, gatewayand network interface are configred?

or

  Couldn't get root image from lamprey-eth:/usr/export/common/freebsd/2.1.0-RELEASE
  Will try to get it from floppy.

I went to DOS and configured the 3c509 not to use Plug and Play mode because
I learnt that it didn't like it in my other install (which was
successful). The bus has only 3 cards.

1. Viper
2. 3com
3. Ultrastor

I know that I am not making any config errors because I have another Dell
Omniplex which I installed FreeBSD in the same exact fashion, and it works.

I am kind of almost at the end of the debugging, so I thought I might find
out something from anyone who might have encountered this.

Any help is appreciated.

thanks

rv

FreeBSD 2.1.0 install on a Micron 486 VLB/EISA PC causing grief

Post by J Wuns » Sun, 14 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I am trying to install FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE on a Micron 486 PC (VLB/EISA)
> [I know it is not the machine I should be using, but lets not discuss that
> issue now ], and all is well till I try to use the ep0 interface with the
> 3c509 card.

(Various trouble indications deleted.)

Is your 3c503 card configured to use irq 10, or have you been booting
with `-c', and reconfigured the FreeBSD kernel?

--
cheers, J"org

1. question about EISA/VLB and EISA/ISA/VLB MBs

I'm currently in the process of upgrading my 386/40 machine to a 486DX2/66
machine and I need to buy a motherboard.  I have to have VL BUS since I
have a #9 VL BUS card coming. other than that I also wanted an EISA bus.
I'm finding it rather confusing and difficult to find true EISA/VESA
motherboards. most of what I find are "hybrid" boards that also have ISA
slots such as 3EISA/2ISA/2VL or such thing. and these tend to be
substantially less money than the true EISA/VL boards.

what I would like to know is what performance differences I'll see between
a true EISA board and one of these hybrid boards.  is the extra money for
the true EISA/VL board worth it?  will I run into difficulties or
incompatibiities with the hybrid boards that I wouldn't if I went with a
true EISA/VL board.  the reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of breaking
down and buying one of the hybrid boards.

also some boards use 72 pin simms and some use 30 pin simms.  the 30 pin
simms are cheaper but again... is it worth the extra money to get 72 pin
simms and the motherboard that supports them?

please help clue me in on anything I don't know or may not have thought of.

oh it might also help to know that I plan on using the board to run the
Linux operating system if that makes a difference.

thanks for your time and advice I really appreciate it.

- Jeff

2. scripts to insert string in files

3. Looking for 486 EISA motherboard and EISA Config Archive

4. help for the disk sets

5. How many MFLOPS can Linux run at on a PC 486/66 VLB?

6. Co noveho s ext3 ve 2.5.66 ? (fwd)

7. Install ?: Micron 486 mitsumi/fx001 proprietary interface

8. X program that reads Outlook PST

9. Anybody install Linux on a Compaq Deskpro 486/50L EISA machine?

10. EISA or VLB (EISA th

11. Installing NIC on Solaris 8 -- Causing me grief!

12. Installing libc-5.2.18 gives me grief - LOTS of grief...