Installing XFree86 4.2.0.

Post by Stephen Wenzle » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 03:20:49

I have successfully installed FreeBSD 4.4 on the second patition without
X Windows because the 3.3.6 that comes with the FreeBSD on CDROM does
not support Nvidia Geforce2 MX that is the chipset that I have on the
video card so can you kindly give me plain english step by step
instructions on installing X Windows v4.2.0. from either a DOS patition
(the primary one where Windows 98SE is running or a suitable
installation utility that utilizes FTP to download needed files so I
could install the X windows with xde windows manager.

Thanks zillions!

--
WWW: http://stephenw4.tripod.com

AIM: S Wenzler
ICQ: 124608891

**for sale**
I have a bunch of items for sale on eBay, click this link below:
http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewListedI...

**UPDATE**

No updates at this time

Installing XFree86 4.2.0.

Post by Devon Rya » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 08:20:35

> I have successfully installed FreeBSD 4.4 on the second patition without
> X Windows because the 3.3.6 that comes with the FreeBSD on CDROM does
> not support Nvidia Geforce2 MX that is the chipset that I have on the
> video card so can you kindly give me plain english step by step
> instructions on installing X Windows v4.2.0. from either a DOS patition
> (the primary one where Windows 98SE is running or a suitable
> installation utility that utilizes FTP to download needed files so I
> could install the X windows with xde windows manager.

Well, you're not going to get 4.2.0 but 4.1.0 (there was a post
regarding the reasoning in another thread).  It's in the ports:

cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4 && make install clean

You can also install it in parts using other ports in the directory.  As
for xde, I've  never heard of it, are you sure you don't mean kde (which
is also in the ports)?

--

Biology/Neuroscience, Pre-med | http://home.uchicago.edu/~dpryan

Installing XFree86 4.2.0.

Post by Stephen Wenzle » Mon, 28 Jan 2002 04:59:06

I meant KDE not the one I just spoken A question for you - if I install
FreeBSD without X Windows that is 'Typical User' selection during the
installation, will the dir as you explain is being installed or not? if not,
what should I do? I need more details about what the problem with 4.2.0 since
it the version that supports GeForce2 MX video chipset in my system, below
that it does nto supports it causing blank light grey screen if I use Geforce
DDR generic driver but will work fine with Generic VGA driver but when I
starts X Windows, it CRASHED with dump telling me that it can't find display
modes and it shows 'Nvideo (unknown) that applies to v3.3.6. that comes with
FreeBSD CDROM that I bought few weeks ago - to be honest, the version of
FreeBSD I have is 4.4. :)

Post by Devon Rya » Tue, 29 Jan 2002 10:20:01

> Sigh! nobody answers my questions other than what I got the answers, the
> questions is:

> What is wrong with 4.2.0. of xfree86, it is now avaliable on
> www.xfree86.org site and it's ftp sites

> How do I install it from patition or do I need to use suitable utility
> to download and installs the new version?

> Is /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4 dir pre-installed when I installs FreeBSD
> 4.4. without X windows??

There is nothing wrong with 4.2.0, there was a port for it but it was
pulled due to the upcoming release of FreeBSD 4.5.  You can still
install it if you want by downloading and compiling the source yourself
(unless you can find a binary or something).  The
/usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4 directory should be there if you installed the
ports when you setup the system.  If not, you can still install it
through sysinstall (or just download it and untar it).

--

Post by thoma » Tue, 29 Jan 2002 22:38:47

> > Sigh! nobody answers my questions other than what I got the answers, the
> > questions is:

> > What is wrong with 4.2.0. of xfree86, it is now avaliable on
> > www.xfree86.org site and it's ftp sites

> > How do I install it from patition or do I need to use suitable utility
> > to download and installs the new version?

> > Is /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4 dir pre-installed when I installs FreeBSD
> > 4.4. without X windows??

it's easy:
- mount your win partition to, say, /dos ("man mount" if you don't
know how to do it)
- cd to your download dir
- start Xinstall.bin with "./Xinstall.bin" (no quotes)
- follow the instructions on the screen, say yes to everything if
you're unsure
- when finished, start xf86config from the command line to config'
your X
- (btw the mouse (in my system) seems to be /dev/psm0)
- start /stand/sysinstall to add KDE from CD
- add "/usr/local/bin/startkde" to your .xsession file
- startx
- done

Installing XFree86 4.2.0.

Post by Stephen Wenzle » Wed, 30 Jan 2002 01:22:40

Thanks ZILLIONS for this instructions, I've printed this for reference next time when I installs the
FreeBSD :)

--
WWW: http://stephenw4.tripod.com

AIM: S Wenzler
ICQ: 124608891

**for sale**
I have a bunch of items for sale on eBay, click this link below:
http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewListedI...

**UPDATE**

No updates at this time

1. Installing xfree86 version 3.3.3.1

I have installed xfree86 version 3.3.1 in the past without problems, but
after downloading the xfree86 version 3.3.3, or version 3.3.3.1, I have
problems trying to install it.  Specifically I "extract" the files using
the downloaded extract utility and then I run the "postinst.sh" script
and then I try to run XF86Setup, and that is when I get these error
messages:

can't read "pc98":  no such variable while executing
"if !$pc98..."
(file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Setup/carddata.tcl" line 19)
invoked from within
"source $XF86Setup_library/carddata.tcl"
(file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Setup/phase1.tcl" line 27)
invoked from within
"source /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Setup/phase1.tcl"

Here are some of my system specifics:

Linux:  Red Hat Linux Release 4.0 (Colgate)
Kernel:  Kernel 2.0.18 on an i586

video card:  Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 (uses S3 Virge graphics controller,
PCI bus 2.01 compliant) with 4mb of EDO (MMX) memory.

video chip (printed
on chip):  S3 Virge on board, N1C3BD, 86C325, 9637 C15691.00, Taiwan

Windows Manager: fvwm95 2.0.43a

I can go back to Xfree86 version 3.3.1 if I must, but  I would rather
upgrade to the latest version.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

2. Alternatives to NIS(+)

3. Problems installing XFree86 4.0

4. I probebly do not anderstand the chdir() function!!!

5. Need help installing XFree86 on a 755CSE ThinkPad

6. RH5.2 as a client for SBS

7. Problem installing Xfree86 3.2

8. COLA FAQ 2 of 7 13-Sep-2002

9. need help to install xfree86!

10. Install XFree86 on Compaq Notebook

11. Installing XFree86 on DosLinux

12. Installing XFree86 4.0 (sort of Howto)