im a newbie

Post by EscapeCharacte » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

ok i just got freebsd redhatlinux 5.2 and win95 tribooting and i am
using lilo at the moment, i would like to know where i could find out
how to use the bsd loader and what it is called, so i can look at the
man pages, installed redhat last and lilo overwrote the bsd loader which
i like much better. email me directly if you like :)

im a newbie

Post by Bill Mora » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> ok i just got freebsd redhatlinux 5.2 and win95 tribooting and i am
> using lilo at the moment, i would like to know where i could find out
> how to use the bsd loader and what it is called, so i can look at the
> man pages, installed redhat last and lilo overwrote the bsd loader which
> i like much better. email me directly if you like :)

it's called booteasy. Do a search on www.freebsd.org.

FreeBSD: Are you guys coming or what?

im a newbie

Post by Mark Tingue » Tue, 11 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>ok i just got freebsd redhatlinux 5.2 and win95 tribooting and i am
>using lilo at the moment, i would like to know where i could find out
>how to use the bsd loader and what it is called, so i can look at the
>man pages, installed redhat last and lilo overwrote the bsd loader which
>i like much better. email me directly if you like :)

Also be certain that your Linux lilo is configured to load from the parition
and not from the global boot blocks, so you can still boot Linux when you
place the BSD bootloader in the global boot blocks.

The BSD bootloater (aka booteasy) can be either downloaded from
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/tools/bootinstr.exe and
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/tools/boot.bin and run from a DOS
boot diskette or you can install the FreeBSD bootloader by running the
install, choose Custom, Partition; on the prompt line type a 'W'
(note this is an unlisted option, it will give you a warning message.
read the message carefully, if you agree, type 'Y'). here it will
give you the option to install the FreeBSD bootloader. When it is done
installing the bootloader, it will place you back into the Partition section;
choose "q" and it will ask you about the bootloader again, you can answer
it anyway you wish, it will not be saving the answer to the disk anyway,
because the next steps you take will be to go back to the main menu and
then exit the install.

1. Newbie Help Needed (Im almost there)

Ok... after struggling and swapping network cards... and reinstalling and
installing RPM's im almost there... but not quite

Ive got a Pent 166 system running 7.2.    Im connected to DSL by Verizon via
eth0 and I can get online without a problem (using Netscape)

I also have a Compaq Laptop... running Windows 98SE.    I installed DHCPD on
the Linux system... configured it... and I can retrieve the IP settings just
fine via the Laptop... and I can ping the Linux system successfully.

My problem is I can't ping to the internet via the laptop at all... I even
tried pinging a IP I knew was valid (I even checked with the linux box and
got a successful ping)

I know its not the laptop... because I can get online via the DSL modem
without a problem.

I ran gnome-lokkit btw... and still no luck.

What do I need to check/do and how?

Thanks

2. Default colour depth in Xfree86..how to change when X starts automatically at boot?

3. Im a Newbie and need some HELP!!

4. Monitor (part 2)

5. partition help (PLEASE IM A NEWBIE)

6. emulate a removable media

7. Help im a newbie who can't patch another server before I go postal!!!

8. Setting up redhat 6.0 behind a NT proxy?

9. Im a newbie and in need of help

10. Newbie newbie newbie

11. Newbie, Newbie, Newbie... Please be patient with me

12. what route add -net command would i need here, im close!

13. Fenster immer im Vordergrund, (always on Top)