HELP! IDE CD-ROM not recognized!

Post by Conrad Sabati » Sun, 16 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I have a 4x Acer CD-ROM (Windows 95 shows it as a CD-747E/HAS) and Maxtor
PCI EIDE interface (2 ports).  The CD is configured as a master on the 2nd
IDE interface.  I have no docs on how to change it to slave, so that FreeBSD
will recognize it.

Anyone have any specs on this drive?  Or perhaps a kernel that would
recognize it?  This is very frustrating!  I've got the Walnut Creek CD and
can't use it!

--
Conrad Sabatier -- http://www.neosoft.com/~conrads/

Post by Conrad Sabati » Tue, 18 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>>PCI EIDE interface (2 ports).  The CD is configured as a master on the 2nd
>>IDE interface.  I have no docs on how to change it to slave, so that FreeBSD
>>will recognize it.

>If you can get a minimal system installed, perhaps via a DOS partition,
>it's only a one line change, if I recall correctly, to configure a kernel
>to support your configuration.

Yep, that's exactly what I did.  Copied a minimal install set (including
src, of course) to my DOS partition, installed from there, rebuilt the
kernel (luckily, I have a 166 MHz machine; didn't take long at all) and
voila!  Finally!  When I saw my CD show up in the boot scan I wanted to
break out the champagne, let me tell ya!  :-)

As it turned out, despite what the docs said, it wasn't even necessary to
slave the drive.

I'm wondering now if a simple MAKEDEV wcd0 might have done the trick (with
the IDE kernel, of course).  Still had to do this after rebuilding.  Just as
well, though.  Weeded out a lot of devices I don't have (like all the SCSI
and Ethernet stuff).

Quote:>From there, if you are really adventurous, you can try to make an
>installation floppy that you can use for future installations.  How
>to do this is not well documented, which is why it will be an adventure.
>Apparently, FreeBSD is only set up to do this easily as part of making
>a complete release, so it takes a lot of fiddling to do it otherwise.  At
>least, that's what I was told by email by someone who had done it when I
>asked a few months ago.

Now there's a great suggestion for a new utility!

This is so cool, now that I can add packages and stuff from the CD!  Nice!

Conrad, pleased and proud (and it's my birthday, too!)  :-)

--

Post by Tim Smi » Tue, 18 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>PCI EIDE interface (2 ports).  The CD is configured as a master on the 2nd
>IDE interface.  I have no docs on how to change it to slave, so that FreeBSD
>will recognize it.

If you can get a minimal system installed, perhaps via a DOS partition,
it's only a one line change, if I recall correctly, to configure a kernel
to support your configuration.

From there, if you are really adventurous, you can try to make an
installation floppy that you can use for future installations.  How
to do this is not well documented, which is why it will be an adventure.
Apparently, FreeBSD is only set up to do this easily as part of making
a complete release, so it takes a lot of fiddling to do it otherwise.  At
least, that's what I was told by email by someone who had done it when I
asked a few months ago.

--Tim Smith

Post by Annius Groeni » Fri, 21 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>>>PCI EIDE interface (2 ports).  The CD is configured as a master on the 2nd
>>>IDE interface.  I have no docs on how to change it to slave, so that FreeBSD
>>>will recognize it.

Sounds exactly like my configuration---and I have the same problems.

Quote:>>If you can get a minimal system installed, perhaps via a DOS partition,
>>it's only a one line change, if I recall correctly, to configure a kernel
>>to support your configuration.
>Yep, that's exactly what I did.  Copied a minimal install set (including
>src, of course) to my DOS partition, installed from there, rebuilt the
>kernel (luckily, I have a 166 MHz machine; didn't take long at all) and
>voila!  Finally!  When I saw my CD show up in the boot scan I wanted to
>break out the champagne, let me tell ya!  :-)

Hm.  And I thought Linux was a pain to install.  Is there really no
way to do this without compiling a complete new kernel first?

Why is there no standard boot disk image for such a typical setup?
The majority of IDE CDROM users will, I think, have a HD and CDROM
on two different ports, both master.

--

Room M233, CWI, Kruislaan 413, 1098 SJ Amsterdam phone +31 20 592 40 77
.. and ZFC/home P.O.Box 15813, 1001 NH Amsterdam phone +31 20 4 208 248

Post by Conrad Sabati » Fri, 21 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>>Yep, that's exactly what I did.  Copied a minimal install set (including
>>src, of course) to my DOS partition, installed from there, rebuilt the
>>kernel (luckily, I have a 166 MHz machine; didn't take long at all) and
>>voila!  Finally!  When I saw my CD show up in the boot scan I wanted to
>>break out the champagne, let me tell ya!  :-)

>Hm.  And I thought Linux was a pain to install.  Is there really no
>way to do this without compiling a complete new kernel first?

>Why is there no standard boot disk image for such a typical setup?
>The majority of IDE CDROM users will, I think, have a HD and CDROM
>on two different ports, both master.

Actually, the CD does include a kernel for IDE setups, but it wouldn't work
for me.  Unlike my own kernel, it would recognize both controllers OK, but
not the actual CD device, and then hang at the end of the boot scan (almost
afraid to ask, but is it possible they forgot to uncomment "controller wcd0"
in the config?).  :-)

--
Conrad Sabatier -- http://www.neosoft.com/~conrads/

HELP! IDE CD-ROM not recognized!

Post by Annius Groeni » Sat, 22 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I (avg) wrote

>>Why is there no standard boot disk image for such a typical setup?
>>The majority of IDE CDROM users will, I think, have a HD and CDROM
>>on two different ports, both master.

>Actually, the CD does include a kernel for IDE setups, but it wouldn't work
>for me.  Unlike my own kernel, it would recognize both controllers OK, but
>not the actual CD device, and then hang at the end of the boot scan (almost
>afraid to ask, but is it possible they forgot to uncomment "controller wcd0"
>in the config?).  :-)

I think they must have made a mistake with the ATAPI.FLP disk.

I tried `atapi.flp', but its kernel doesn't even contain a wcd0
device.  I type '-c', then 'visual', and neither of the active or
inactive lists contains a `wcd0'.  It loads the setup program fine
(i.e. doesn't hang at the end of boot), but starts complaining as soon
as I select `CD' for installation source media.

The disc (BTW, it's a BSDisc from InfoMagic) also talks about another
disk (something with `ide' in it), but that's not included.  I suspect
InfoMagic deleted quite a few things to fit everything on to 2 CDs.

--

Post by Conrad Sabati » Sun, 23 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>I think they must have made a mistake with the ATAPI.FLP disk.

Seems probable.  :-)

Quote:>I tried `atapi.flp', but its kernel doesn't even contain a wcd0
>device.  I type '-c', then 'visual', and neither of the active or
>inactive lists contains a `wcd0'.  It loads the setup program fine
>(i.e. doesn't hang at the end of boot), but starts complaining as soon
>as I select `CD' for installation source media.

Even now that I've gotten my CD mounted under FreeBSD, I can't simply select
"CD-ROM" as my media in sysinstall.  I have to choose "Existing file system"
and give it the mount point ("/cdrom").  Kind of counter-intuitive, isn't
it?

--

    Annius> conr...@neosoft.com (Conrad Sabatier) writes:
> [...]
    Annius> Sounds exactly like my configuration---and I have the same
    Annius> problems.
    >>> If you can get a minimal system installed, perhaps via a DOS
    >>> partition, it's only a one line change, if I recall correctly, to
    >>> configure a kernel to support your configuration.
    >> Yep, that's exactly what I did.  Copied a minimal install set
[[material cut here]]
    Annius> Hm.  And I thought Linux was a pain to install.  Is there
    Annius> really no way to do this without compiling a complete new
    Annius> kernel first?

    Annius> Why is there no standard boot disk image for such a typical
    Annius> setup?  The majority of IDE CDROM users will, I think, have a
    Annius> HD and CDROM on two different ports, both master.

As mentioned above, one way to install FreeBSD from CD ia via a copy of the
necessary distribution on disk.  This avoids you having to know anything
about your CD drive (so long as it works with DOS) in the install process.

File ftp://pm.cse.rmit.edu.au/210m/fbsdmove.bat (enclosed) is a DOS batch
file to copy about 35M of the distribution from a CD drive onto a DOS file
system (which I assume has 35M of space) so that you can do an install from
a DOS file system to your new BSD file system.  If DOS sees your CD drive
as D: and the DOS disk file system you want to use is C:, then you would
insert your FreeBSD-2.1.0R CD and enter command

FBSDMOVE D: C:

and wait while XCOPY does some serious file copying.  As prompted, you can
then CD into the boot area C:\DISTS\PM and, if no weird memory managers are
installed, just enter command INSTALL to boot and go.

The reason for writing this script was that I had some students wanting to
install FreeBSD from all sorts of CD drives and it seemd that the easiest
thing to do was automate their installation from a DOS file system so that
they could at least recompile the FreeBSD kernel and sort out their CD
access later.  This also maximised my chance of not learning about all of
their different CD drives...

The file fbsdmove.bat on the anonymous ftp area is a DOS text file (just
the way MS likes them).

Hope this helps, Phillip.

p.s. Also enclosed is a copy of shell script dpa which can be used to
install packages off a DOS file system (the current pkg_add doesn't like to
install packages that have truncated file names, as would occur if you
stashed some packages onto a DOS file system enroute to getting them into
your FreeBSD system).

rem FBSDMOVE.BAT
rem
rem Use   FBSDMOVE src: dest:
rem
rem where
rem       src:  is the CD containing directories \DISTS and \PACKAGES
rem       dest: is the disk to which these directories' contents are copied
rem
rem phil...@rmit.edu.au  1v0 6/2/1996, 1v1 12/2/1996, 1v2 14/2/1996,
rem                      1v3 5/3/1996.

rem STILL TO DO
rem   1) make sure that the xcopy utility is available

rem A FreeBSD installation accessing  the distribution from an existing DOS
rem file system on a hard disk requires no detailed knowledge of the target
rem PC hardware.  This purpose of  this script is  to copy a minimum set of
rem the  FreeBSD distribution from  a CD  mounted  under DOS to a  DOS file
rem system  on a hard disk  so that a  user can do  a complete installation
rem using only disk.  Approximately 35M of disk space is  needed on the DOS
rem disk.
rem
rem
rem The distribution files  copied  are sufficient for   a "Kern-Developer"
rem installation i.e.  we  copy:  the system binaries;  full  documentation
rem (man pages and the  HTML material); the  sources for ONLY the operating
rem system (so  that  you can build  a kernel  for your particular hardware
rem later), plus a few basic packages that you might  want (e.g.  a tcsh or
rem bash shell like your unix account probably has, the micro-emacs editor,
rem and the mtools package for easy access to DOS floppies from FreeBSD).
rem
rem
rem Note that if you  can boot your DOS  system without any memory managers
rem or  TSRs present, then  you will be able  to  boot up  the FreeBSD unix
rem operating system directly from your DOS disk.  One way to boot up a DOS
rem system without any add-ons present is to hold down the SHIFT key during
rem the DOS  boot stage so that  the autoexec.bat and  config.sys files are
rem ignored.  Another   way might  be  to boot   using  a floppy  disk that
rem contains the basic  system and a COMMAND.COM file  (you can make such a
rem floppy by formating a floppy and using the SYS command).
rem

rem This  batch file assumes that  your CD is mounted  as  E: and that your
rem target disk is D: (this is the case if you  are installing FreeBSD onto
rem a second hard disk  with a small DOS file   system and your  first hard
rem disk is seen by DOS as C:).  %1 and %2 can override these defaults.
rem
set SRC=%1
if "x%SRC%"=="x"  set SRC=E:
set DEST=%2
if "x%DEST%"=="x" set DEST=D:
@echo Source is %SRC%
@echo Destination is %DEST%

rem
rem
rem

@echo **********************************************
@echo Creating destination directory %DEST%\DISTS
mkdir %DEST%\dists

@echo **********************************************
@echo (1/8) Copying BIN distribution
@echo       into %DEST%\DISTS\BIN
mkdir %DEST%\dists\bin
xcopy %SRC%\dists\bin\*.* %DEST%\dists\bin /e

@echo **********************************************
@echo (2/8) Copying MANPAGES distribution
@echo       into %DEST%\DISTS\MANPAGES
mkdir %DEST%\dists\manpages
xcopy %SRC%\dists\manpages\*.* %DEST%\dists\manpages /e

@echo **********************************************
@echo (3/8) Copying PROFLIBS distribution
@echo       into %DEST%\DISTS\PROFLIBS
mkdir %DEST%\dists\proflibs
xcopy %SRC%\dists\proflibs\*.* %DEST%\dists\proflibs /e

@echo **********************************************
@echo (4/8) Copying DICT distribution
@echo       into %DEST%\DISTS\DICT
mkdir %DEST%\dists\dict
xcopy %SRC%\dists\dict\*.* %DEST%\dists\dict /e

@echo **********************************************
@echo (5/8) Copying INFO (HTML) distribution
@echo       into %DEST%\DISTS\INFO
mkdir %DEST%\dists\info
xcopy %SRC%\dists\info\*.* %DEST%\dists\info /e

@echo **********************************************
@echo (6/8) Copying floppy images
@echo       into %DEST%\DISTS\FLOPPIES
mkdir %DEST%\dists\floppies
copy %SRC%\floppies\boot.flp %DEST%\dists\floppies
copy %SRC%\floppies\root.flp %DEST%\dists\floppies
rem Copy only what we really need here..............
rem copy %SRC%\floppies\atapi.flp %DEST%\dists\floppies
rem copy %SRC%\floppies\fixit.flp %DEST%\dists\floppies

@echo **********************************************
@echo (7/8) Copying KERNEL and documentation files
@echo       into %DEST%\DISTS\PM
mkdir %DEST%\dists\pm
copy %SRC%\kernel. %DEST%\dists\pm\kernel. /v
rem copy %SRC%\kernel. %DEST%\dists\pm\kernel. /v
copy %SRC%\fbsdboot.exe %DEST%\dists\pm /v
copy %SRC%\*.bat %DEST%\dists\pm /v
copy %SRC%\*.txt %DEST%\dists\pm
copy %SRC%\00*.* %DEST%\dists\pm

@echo **********************************************
@echo (8/8) Copying SRC distribution (kernel only)
@echo       into %DEST%\DISTS\SRC
mkdir %DEST%\dists\src
copy %SRC%\dists\src\ssys.* %DEST%\dists\src
copy %SRC%\dists\src\install.sh %DEST%\dists\src
copy %SRC%\dists\src\00*.* %DEST%\dists\src

echo **********************************************
@echo Almost finished.
@echo (9/8 :-) Copying a few useful packages...
@echo          into %DEST%\PACKAGES\ALL
@echo If you Mount your DOS file system as /dos in
@echo the installation, these files will appear in
@echo directory     /dos/packages/all
@echo and you can enter the unix command
@echo               sh /dos/packages/dpa
@echo to install the packages later.
mkdir %DEST%\packages
copy  %SRC%\packages\INDEX        %DEST%\packages
copy  %SRC%\packages\INDEX.TXT    %DEST%\packages
copy  %SRC%\packages\README       %DEST%\packages
mkdir %DEST%\packages\all
copy  %SRC%\packages\all\bash*.*  %DEST%\packages\all
copy  %SRC%\packages\all\tcsh*.*  %DEST%\packages\all
copy  %SRC%\packages\all\uemac*.* %DEST%\packages\all
copy  %SRC%\packages\all\mtool*.* %DEST%\packages\all
copy  %SRC%\packages\all\zip*.*   %DEST%\packages\all
copy  %SRC%\packages\all\unzip*.* %DEST%\packages\all
copy  %SRC%\packages\all\lynx*.*  %DEST%\packages\all
rem
rem Copy and rename the name translation table across
COPY  %SRC%\PACKAGES\ALL\00_TRANS.TBL %DEST%\PACKAGES\00ALL.TBL
rem
rem Copy a script to install these packages
COPY  C:dpa %DEST%\PACKAGES

@echo **********************************************
@echo Restart DOS with no memory managers present by
@echo holding the SHIFT key down during boot up,  CD
@echo to the target drive:\DISTS\PM, and enter
@echo     install
@echo to start the installation.  If the system will
@echo not boot, you will have to use a boot floppy.
@echo **********************************************

#! /bin/sh
#
# Script dpa
#       URL = ftp://pm.cse.rmit.edu.au/ftp/pub/FreeBSD/misc/dpa
#
# The current pkg_add command cannot process packages in files that have
# incorrect names e.g. packages that are being read off a DOS file system
# where a shortened name is required.  Shell script dpa (Dos Package Add)
# figures out the real name of a package so it can be temporarily copied
# across to $DEST (with its original name) and have pkg_add run on it.
#
# The user is prompted to have all packages available in the source
# directory installed.
#
# Parameter 1 is taken as the directory holding the 8+3 named packages,
# otherwise we look for a directory named /dos/packages or /dosc/packages
# or /dosd/packages,
# otherwise we ask where ...

read more »

Post by Annius Groeni » Thu, 27 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>Even now that I've gotten my CD mounted under FreeBSD, I can't simply select
>"CD-ROM" as my media in sysinstall.  I have to choose "Existing file system"
>and give it the mount point ("/cdrom").  Kind of counter-intuitive, isn't
>it?

Interesting.  But I don't seem to be offered the possibility to
make such a mount point when running from the install disk...
(setup only lets me mount a primary MSDOS partition).

I thought about copying part of the CDROM to a DOS partition, but
this seems to go wrong because of the rock-ridge extensions.

--

Room M233, CWI, Kruislaan 413, 1098 SJ Amsterdam phone +31 20 592 40 77
.. and ZFC/home P.O.Box 15813, 1001 NH Amsterdam phone +31 20 4 208 248

1. Problems with IDE CD-ROM - not recognised at boot time

I have the following system:

Pentium P75, PCI, 2HDDs (One for W95, one for Linux), CD-ROM,
SMC Ultra ethernet card.

The CD-ROM is an Aztech 46802I, cabled directly to the 2nd IDE socket
on the motherboard, and jumpered to be the master device on that socket.

Using the idecd boot disk, I can boot the system and (usually) recognise
the CD-ROM drive. At boot time there are messages like this:

hda: (correct details of first HDD)
hdb: (correct details of second HDD)
hdc: IRQ probe failed (0)
hdc: CDA46802I, ATAPI, CDROM drive
ide1: secondary interface on irq 15
ide0: primary interface on irq 14

...and I can install a fully working, bootable system without difficulty.

BUT, when I build myself a new kernel, using the IDE CD option and the
primary/secondary IDE option as described in the ATAPI FAQ, the CD-ROM
drive is not recognised. Instead of the messages as above, I get:

hda: (correct details of first HDD)
hdb: (correct details of second HDD)
hdc: no response (status=0x90)
ide0: primary interface on irq 14

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks

Richard
Richard M Rogers

Staffordshire University                Tel: 01785 (+44 1785) 353395

2. Linux vx. bsdi

3. Mitsumi IDE ATAPI CD-ROM not recognized

4. MILO freeze at "jumping to bootstrap code"

5. ATAPI IDE CD-ROM (Mitsumi) Not Being Recognised

6. How to set up Apache to serve out several domains??

7. Goldstar IDE CD-ROM not recognized

8. FreeBSD for Alpha Status

9. Creative IDE CD-ROM drive not recognized

10. Help: My cd-rom does not recognize audio cd

11. Help: My cd-rom does not recognize audio cd.

12. Help. T130B SCSI + NEC CD-ROM Not Recognized.

13. Help kernal not recognising CD-ROM