IDE disk read timeouts

Post by thomas lackne » Fri, 02 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I was manipulating an MSDOS floppy on my FreeBSD 3.1 system when it
spontaneously rebooted. Now when I try to boot from it, as soon as it
finishes probing devices, I get messages like..

  wd0s1c: wdstart: timeout waiting to give command reading fsbn 1wd0:
  status 0 error 4<abort>
  wd0s1c: wdstart: timeout waiting to give command reading fsbn 1wd0:
  status 0 error 1<no_dam>
  wd0s1c: wdstart: timeout waiting to give command reading fsbn 1wd0:
  status 0 error 1<no_dam>

..these continue forever.

The weird thing is that I can still access the data fine with the boot
loader -- ie, at the prompt, I can "ls" and "more" my way around the file
system. This leads me to believe that the data is intact -- and if it is,
I'd really like to get at it! mount, fsck and disklabel from the fixit
floppy all produce the error message above, though. Perhaps some kind of
header record is wrong?

I have 3 configured slices in the system, and all 3 hang when accessed.

Anyone have any idea what could be wrong? Does this sound like a controller
problem? Can I get the data out of the filesystem some other way?