CD-RW drive

Post by S?ren Schmid » Thu, 18 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I am in the process of installing 2.2.6 on a machine with a Memorex
> CRW-1622 CD-RW drive on it.
> This is an IDE CD-ROM writer/rewriter (and they are getting to be fairly
> cheap today).
> Does anyone have any idea if/when/how this class of device will be
> supported in the future?

I'm close to having such a driver finished, well so finished that it
works for me and my MMC compliant drive. I have burned normal CDR's
and of cause used CDRW. Using CDRW as medium while developing was
a  good thing (erasing the media sure beats throwing it in the trash)

It will show up in -current when I feel its stable enough...

S?ren Schmidt                                       FreeBSD Core Team
           Even more code to hack -- will it ever end?

CD-RW drive

Post by David Smeet » Sat, 20 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I noticed your message here and wondered if you'd run accross any freeware for
making CD-RWs on a UNIX system. HY-CD is available for UNIX, but costs between
$1300 and $2000 - more than we want to afford. We need a CD-RW to do backup
and archiving work (for our small ISP), but need affordable software to make
the project feasible. Any ideas?

Dave

CD-RW drive

Post by Kenneth Furg » Tue, 23 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I noticed your message here and wondered if you'd run accross any freeware for
> making CD-RWs on a UNIX system. HY-CD is available for UNIX, but costs between
> $1300 and $2000 - more than we want to afford. We need a CD-RW to do backup
> and archiving work (for our small ISP), but need affordable software to make
> the project feasible. Any ideas?

No problem, use "mkisofs" to create your filesystem image and use
"cdrecord" to burn it to disk.  Cdrecord works with most SCSI cd-r/rw
drives and can be found in the ports.

- K.C.

CD-RW drive

Post by David Deave » Thu, 02 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Try using cdrecord (it's in the fbsd ports).  Works great for backups
in conjunction with mkisofs.  I burn images of my filesystems directly
to my cdr using something like

  mkisofs -a -l -L -R <filesystem> | (sleep 300 ; cdrecord -v -)

the sleep allows mkisofs to do all of the precomputes before the
burning begins.  In this way, I avoid having to make a temporary iso fs
image.

I have also usde cdrecord for making audio and raw data (i.e. not iso)
CDs, with great success.

Dave

--

http://www.execpc.com/~deaven