FreeBSD as POP host? Send or Q mail?

Post by Pau » Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

OK, here goes.

I'm putting together a lil 486 and I want to be able to do the following
for me and my wife.

Have that machine go to several ISP's at regular intervals and pick up
(via POP3) any mail waiting for us.  Then allow us to pick up that mail
via POP3 from our 486 machine after it's been run thru send/qmail (or
whatever program is best) to take out spam.

What is the best tool to do this? I've taken an initial look at both
sendmail and qmail and to say the least the config of both seems to be
equally daunting. *grin* I'm not a FreeBSd beginner but I don't know
where to start there. Seems a good topic for my Deamon's Guide site.

Thanks in advance!
--
  __
 /_/             Creator/Maintainer

Post by Kenneth Furg » Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> Have that machine go to several ISP's at regular intervals and pick up
> (via POP3) any mail waiting for us.  Then allow us to pick up that mail
> via POP3 from our 486 machine after it's been run thru send/qmail (or
> whatever program is best) to take out spam.

To get your mail, you'll want to run fetchmail.  It'll fetch from multiple
pop3/imap4 mailboxes and combine them into a single account.  For spam
filtering, I have to recommend procmail.  Attached is a simple .procmailrc spam
filter.  I have found that most spam isn't directly sent to me (i.e.

- K.C.

PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
MAILDIR=$HOME/mail              #you'd better make sure it exists
DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/Spam           #completely optional
LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/.procmaillog   #recommended

:0
*^From:.*X10
{
        :0
        Spam

Quote:}

:0
*^TO_kfurge
/var/mail/kfurge

FreeBSD as POP host? Send or Q mail?

Post by Pau » Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>To get your mail, you'll want to run fetchmail.  It'll fetch from
>multiple pop3/imap4 mailboxes and combine them into a single account.
>For spam filtering, I have to recommend procmail.  Attached is a
>simple .procmailrc spam filter.  I have found that most spam isn't

>so is pretty easy to filter.

Now that sounds good. I forgot about fetchmail. But they needn't be
combined. I want all of them seperate and available via POP3 from my
server. That way my wife can still use her W'98 mailer. *grin* And yeah,
procmail will probably do the trick, but I find I get quite a lot that IS
addressed to me. (Those ****** are getting smart here) so I need to be
able to check Received: headers and stuff and filter on those. As well as
Subject: lines. A Perl script perhaps? *WEG*

Thanks for the info!
--
  __

Post by David Efflan » Thu, 16 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>>To get your mail, you'll want to run fetchmail.  It'll fetch from
>>multiple pop3/imap4 mailboxes and combine them into a single account.
>>For spam filtering, I have to recommend procmail.  Attached is a
>>simple .procmailrc spam filter.  I have found that most spam isn't

>>so is pretty easy to filter.

>Now that sounds good. I forgot about fetchmail. But they needn't be
>combined. I want all of them seperate and available via POP3 from my
>server. That way my wife can still use her W'98 mailer. *grin* And yeah,
>procmail will probably do the trick, but I find I get quite a lot that IS
>addressed to me. (Those ****** are getting smart here) so I need to be
>able to check Received: headers and stuff and filter on those. As well as
>Subject: lines. A Perl script perhaps? *WEG*

Read 'man procmail' and related man pages listed there.  You can filter on
anything in the headers (default) or the body.  One thing you will also
need is a local POP3 or IMAP server.  But I have not done that, I simply
use fetchmail and pine.  And I did not have to configure sendmail because
I have a static hostname and IP for PPP.

--

http://www.de-srv.com/  http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/
http://thunder.prohosting.com/~cv-elgin/

FreeBSD as POP host? Send or Q mail?

Post by QuestionExchang » Sat, 08 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,

> OK, here goes.

> I'm putting together a lil 486 and I want to be able to do
the following
> for me and my wife.

> Have that machine go to several ISP's at regular intervals
and pick up
> (via POP3) any mail waiting for us.  Then allow us to pick up
that mail
> via POP3 from our 486 machine after it's been run thru
send/qmail (or
> whatever program is best) to take out spam.

> What is the best tool to do this? I've taken an initial look
at both
> sendmail and qmail and to say the least the config of both
seems to be
> equally daunting. *grin* I'm not a FreeBSd beginner but I
don't know
> where to start there. Seems a good topic for my Deamon's

Guide site.
The best tool, without a doubt, is fetchmail, which is designed
for the
purpose you describe. Configuration is pretty simple.
Main web site here:
http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/fetchmail
FreeBSD ports collection:
/usr/ports/mail/fetchmail
Or the FreeBSD package:
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-
stable/All/fetchmail-5.2.0.tgz
You'll still need to have sendmail running to do the local
delivery, but the out-of-box configuration works fine.
Rob

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com
  http://www.questionexchange.com/showUsenetGuest.jhtml?ans_id=9432&cus...

1. POP users can't sent mail to remote domains

Hello,

I'm using RH 5.0 with the latest versions of sendmail and imap.  So far
users can telnet in and send & recieve mail using pine.  Remote users
can retrieve their mail using POP3 and Eudora.  But I'm having a problem
with remote users being able to send email through my server to
non-local domains.  Eudora gives the error message: "Recipient is
unacceptable to the SMTP server"

I know its probably a sendmail config somewhere, but I can't seem to put
my finger on it.  Maybe its imap's setup or sendmail's anti-relay?

TIA,
David Edwards

2. my for loop is improperly constrcted, please help

3. sending mail to a POP server??

4. Red Hat 7.0 Joystick

5. Sending Mail Through POP 3

6. DHCP, Dynamic IP, Cable modems, Linux and you!

7. Sending mail via POP

8. Help on hostid

9. Can send mail out but can't send mail in?

10. Send/Recv POP3 mail locally w/o using POP client?

11. sending mail with POP?

12. Sending mail via POP

13. Mailing to NFS mail Qs