Different keymap on FreeBSD 4.4 stable won't work

Different keymap on FreeBSD 4.4 stable won't work

Post by Henrik Larsso » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 19:31:21

I wan't to use the danish keymap i FreeBSD.

I have set the following line in rc.conf:
keymap="danish.cp865"

I started with a FreeBSD 4.3 Release and after the upgrade to 4.4 Stable i
can't use the danish map with this setting. It worked both on the console
and in SSH before the upgrade.

If i use the command kbdcontrol as in the admin faq 8.19 i get the following
error:
server# kbdcontrol -l danish.iso
kbdcontrol: setting keymap: Inappropriate ioctl for device

What is the problem here?

Best regards Henrik

Post by Philip Paep » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 19:37:27

> I wan't to use the danish keymap i FreeBSD.
> I have set the following line in rc.conf:
> keymap="danish.cp865"

Try danish.iso -- that one seems to work for me under various versions:
including 4.4 -STABLE.

Quote:> I started with a FreeBSD 4.3 Release and after the upgrade to 4.4 Stable i
> can't use the danish map with this setting. It worked both on the console
> and in SSH before the upgrade.

Did mergemaster nuke one of your rc scripts, which it shouldn't have?  Have
you tried rebooting with your rc.conf(5).

Quote:> If i use the command kbdcontrol as in the admin faq 8.19 i get the following
> error:
> server# kbdcontrol -l danish.iso
> kbdcontrol: setting keymap: Inappropriate ioctl for device

I seem to get the same, but my keyboard is set up fine with just the keymap
line in rc.conf.

Quote:> What is the problem here?

Try and reboot with the danish.iso keymap, see if that works.  If it doesn't,
I'll investigate.  There's nothing as horrible as not being able to type 'r?d
gr?d med fl?de' :-)

 - Philip

--

  Kinkler's First Law:
        Responsibility always exceeds authority.

  Kinkler's Second Law:
        All the easy problems have been solved.

Different keymap on FreeBSD 4.4 stable won't work

Post by Henrik Larsso » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 20:05:08

Quote:> Try danish.iso -- that one seems to work for me under various versions:
> including 4.4 -STABLE.

ok, changed rc.conf to:
keymap="danish.iso"

Quote:> Did mergemaster nuke one of your rc scripts, which it shouldn't have?
Have
> you tried rebooting with your rc.conf(5).

yes, and the dmesg shows:
Configuring syscons:
 keymap
 blanktime
 screensaver

So it looks like the keymap is set.

Quote:> Try and reboot with the danish.iso keymap, see if that works.  If it
doesn't,
> I'll investigate.

It don't work.

When i press the danish characters nothing happends in the command line.
If i write "???" in VI i get: \xe6\xf8\xe5

Quote:> There's nothing as horrible as not being able to type 'r?d gr?d med fl?de'

:-)

Exactly :-)

Best regards Henrik

Different keymap on FreeBSD 4.4 stable won't work

Post by Philip Paep » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 20:17:58

# -- snip snip -- #

Quote:> When i press the danish characters nothing happends in the command line.
> If i write "???" in VI i get: \xe6\xf8\xe5

Try setting LC_CTYPE, MM_CHARSET and LESSCHARSET environment variables, in my
.tcshrc file, I've got the following -- depending on your shell, you might
need to change another file and stick other things into it:

 |?setenv  LESSCHARSET latin1
 | setenv  LC_CTYPE da_DK.ISO_8859-1
 | setenv  MM_CHARSET ISO-8859-1

I think that should print things in vi(1) and on the console, if that still
fails, stick the following into your .exrc or your .nexrc (for vi(1)):

 | set print="??????????????a???"

...and for good measure, you might want to set the console font to something
different too, note that this will make things like sysinstall(8) look very
though, but not to worry:

In rc.conf(5):

 |?font8x14="iso-8x14"
 |?font8x16="iso-8x16"
 |?font8x8="iso-8x8"

... and I think that should do it :-)

Quote:>> There's nothing as horrible as not being able to type 'r?d gr?d med fl?de'
> :-)
> Exactly :-)

Good luck :-)

 - Philip

--

  Best of all is never to have been born.  Second best is to die soon.

Different keymap on FreeBSD 4.4 stable won't work

Post by Henrik Larsso » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 20:48:35

Quote:> Try setting LC_CTYPE, MM_CHARSET and LESSCHARSET
> environment variables

Well that did work :-)

Why do i have to do this?
I haven't had this in my .cshrc files before?

Is there any reason for me not to use this for the root user too?

Best regards Henrik

Post by Philip Paep » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 21:33:46

>> Try setting LC_CTYPE, MM_CHARSET and LESSCHARSET
>> environment variables
> Well that did work :-)
> Why do i have to do this?
> I haven't had this in my .cshrc files before?

I don't remember when the FreeBSD project decided to make csh(1) effectively
the same as tcsh(1) (it's a hardlink), but might that possibly have to do with
it?  I don't know -- I've always had these variables lying around because some
applications seemed to need it.  Setlocale(3) has loads and loads of
information about this stuff.

Quote:> Is there any reason for me not to use this for the root user too?

I've stuck this in skeleton, so that all users have it as soon as they're
created (/usr/share/skel), and my root .tcshrc also has it set.  You never
know what user you'll be logged in as when you quickly need to order a beer
from a Dane :-)

 - Philip

--

  Before Xerox, five carbons were the maximum extension of anybody's
  ego.

1. USR 56k 5610 Modem: How to get it to work in FreeBSD 4.4 stable

Ok, here goes:

I have a modem in my box. It is a USR 5610 Pci modem. It is not a
winmodem, cause, well, i can use it in linux. This is a reach, but I
think it should work in fbsd as well. Ok, I have a serial port (sio0).

i said that right, i'm typing it from memory). Anywho, I can't get the
modem to initialize in PPP. I know that it is on COM3 (or ttyS4 in
Linux ---> but shouldn't it be ttyS2 cause it is 1 less in *nix
systems? Somebody could answer that for me too :-)) When I try to set
the device to /dev/cuaa2 (where is should be), it doesn't work. When I
try cuaa0 bsd freezes up on me. I know somebody out there can shed
some light on this subject for me :-)

Bonus question:

When I run KDE 2.2 in FBSD, the screen is huge. I've managed to gather
that it is some kind of virtual desktop or I have to edit the
resolution somehow. Could somebody point in the right direction (file
to edit)?

THANK YOU in advance, I am in dire need of help.

Regards,

J. Lucas
St. Clair, MI

2. free_task_struct() called too early?

3. Vmware2 and FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE network trouble

4. current prompt for tcsh

5. FreeBSD 4.4-20011111-STABLE bug?

6. 4.4-release main memory size

7. Network bug in FreeBSD 4.4 STABLE

8. Lightweight process info

9. XFree86 4.1 Problem with FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE

10. FreeBSD 4.4 - STABLE lockup

11. New FreeBSD-stable 4.4 release?

12. problems with FreeBSD 4.4-stable- HELP