What is the best way to go about upgrading a remote system.
In the Handbook it recommends booting to single and updating from there, but
obviously that isn't possible in this case. ( No serial connection 8( )
My current plan of attack is to do the following:
1) Install www/mod_layout and put a header at the top of every http-request
saying briefly the system is undergoing maintainance.
2) CvsUp with 'tag=RELENG_4_5' in supfile.
3) cd /usr/src; make clean && make buildworld && make buildkernel
4) stop all non-critical services (apache, mysql, imapd, smtp, etc)
5) make installworld && make installkernel
6) cp -rp /etc /etc.old; mergemaster
8) bring up services and keep a eye on system for any abnormal behaviour.
Does this sound ok to people who have performed this before?