passwd trouble

Post by Matthew L. Creec » Mon, 25 Feb 2002 06:17:53

I don't know when this started happening (I don't change passwords
often), but now when I try to change my password it does the
following:

Changing password for blah.
New password:
Retype new password:
passwd: cannot set password cipher: Undefined error: 0
passwd: /etc/master.passwd: unchanged

I have no idea when it started doing this, it could be anywhere
along the way as I've probably cvsup'ed and rebuilt about a dozen
times since the last time I changed my password.

(maybe) relevant info:
4.5-STABLE system
login.conf has 'passwd_format="md5"' for default
I tried deleting that line to no avail
make.conf has NODESCRYPTLINKS=true
/usr/bin/passwd is owner root, setuid
Adding a new user works perfectly fine, but I can't change that
user's password once I create it.

Any help is appreciated!

--
Matthew L. Creech

passwd trouble

found this doing a search:

--
Regards,

Michael Austin            Registered Linux User #261163
First DBA Source, Inc.    http://www.firstdbasource.com
Sr. Consultant

passwd trouble

Post by Matthew L. Creec » Mon, 25 Feb 2002 08:10:13

Quote:> found this doing a search:

Yeah, I saw that one as well.  Did you read the solution though?  It
says you need to do a fresh build* and install*, both of which I've
already done to no avail.  This guy had the problem when going from
4.1-STABLE to 4.1.1-STABLE as well, I had it somewhere between 4.2-R
and 4.5-STABLE.

Wow, I just found the problem.  The man page for login.conf says
passwd_format is a string that's either "md5", "blf", or "des".  I
took this to mean that the quotes needed to be in login.conf - after
taking them out it worked fine.  Apparently it didn't work before
because I forgot to cap_mkdb.  Thanks for the help anyway.  :)

--
Matthew L. Creech

1. passwd troubles

We are running OSR 5.0.2, 64 user license, on an Altos 17000.  Yesterday
a user reported that he could not change his password.  "Yeah, right!"  I
thought.  Then I tried it.  A script is shown below.    "root" _can_ change
passwords, but a user can't.

I fired up the Account Administrator from root, thinking there would be
something there, but the Account Administrator cannot find _any_ users
(we have about 500 logins).  The logins were placed (months ago) in the
/etc/passwd file by a Perl script.  We are running "low" security, and the
book claims that "traditional techniques" may be used to create and delete
users.  (paraphrase).

Any ideas ?

BW

----------------------- script below -------------------

Script started on Wed Sep 10 15:14:18 1997
cs3: [15:14] 19% passwd
Setting password for user: bw
Old password:
Last   successful password change for bw: Tue Sep  9 13:17:33 1997

                Choose password

You can choose whether you pick a password,
or have the system create one for you.

        1. Pick a password
        2. Pronounceable password will be generated for you

Enter choice (default is 1): 1
Please enter new password (at least 1 character):

New password:
Re-enter password:
passwd: resource: /etc/passwd-t could not be allocated due to: Cannot securely create new file
Password cannot be changed; see Account Administrator

script done on Wed Sep 10 15:14:50 1997

--
Bill Walker

2. feasability - mirror ide + raid-5 scsi (sw raid)

3. caldera /etc/passwd troubles? Help!

4. Diamond Fire GL 3000?

5. user/passwd trouble

6. "/dev/nst0" Error.

7. passwd troubles followup

8. File Transfer

9. NIS passwd troubles

10. Big trouble--/etc/passwd is hosed!

11. Ekk sp error in passwd, im in trouble

12. Trouble with passwd

13. Some trouble in Solaris passwd and shadow (NIS)