Three really bizarre problems that may or may not be related

Three really bizarre problems that may or may not be related

Post by Maxwell Ediso » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 20:19:43

The specs:
OS: FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE
Motherboard: ASUS P2B-D (Dual 350mhz PIIs)
SCSI Controller: Adaptec 2940UW
CD Burner: Ricoh MP-6201S (same as MP-6200S but with 2MB buffer instead
of 1MB, why isn't it 6202?)

My first problem is the following two lines appear at boot:

isa0: too many dependant configs (8)
isa0: unexpected small tag 14

I thought it might be a resource conflict.  I've pulled out cards,
disabled unecessary serial ports in the BIOS, and checked all the
resources listed in dmesg via pen and paper.  I assure you, there are no
resource conflicts that I can find. What else could it be?  I'm not
really sure if this even a problem, but I haven't been able to get rid
of these lines and it may be an indication of the cause of my other
problems.

My second problem occurs when I try to burn a CD using cdrecord.  It
seems to be working just fine until the end when it's fixating and I get
the following error:

cdrecord: Input/output error. close track/session: scsi sendcmd:
retryable error
CDB:  5B 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
status: 0x0 (GOOD STATUS)
cmd finished after 138.882s timeout 480s

I've tried running cdrecord with the -fix option.  This does not result
in any errors, nor does it result in a readable disc.

My third problem is a real bummer.  It might not be my fault at all.  I
have 2 SCSI hard disks in a striped vinum RAID array.  Whenever I do
something disk-intensive, it slows my system down a lot more than it
should.  I'm not using identical drives, but the disk slices being used
are identical in size.  It also slows down considerably when I burn a
CD, and any mp3s I have playing are stopped for the duration of the
burn.

I've already invested a considerable amount of time trying to fix all of
these problems both reading and banging away at the keyboard.  I haven't
been able to make any progress, and I'm all out of ideas as to what to
try next.

Three really bizarre problems that may or may not be related

Post by John » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 23:10:04

Have you tried a silver hammer?

Quote:> The specs:
> OS: FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE
> Motherboard: ASUS P2B-D (Dual 350mhz PIIs)
> SCSI Controller: Adaptec 2940UW
> CD Burner: Ricoh MP-6201S (same as MP-6200S but with 2MB buffer instead
> of 1MB, why isn't it 6202?)

> My first problem is the following two lines appear at boot:

> isa0: too many dependant configs (8)
> isa0: unexpected small tag 14

> I thought it might be a resource conflict.  I've pulled out cards,
> disabled unecessary serial ports in the BIOS, and checked all the
> resources listed in dmesg via pen and paper.  I assure you, there are no
> resource conflicts that I can find. What else could it be?  I'm not
> really sure if this even a problem, but I haven't been able to get rid
> of these lines and it may be an indication of the cause of my other
> problems.

> My second problem occurs when I try to burn a CD using cdrecord.  It
> seems to be working just fine until the end when it's fixating and I get
> the following error:

> cdrecord: Input/output error. close track/session: scsi sendcmd:
> retryable error
> CDB:  5B 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> status: 0x0 (GOOD STATUS)
> cmd finished after 138.882s timeout 480s

> I've tried running cdrecord with the -fix option.  This does not result
> in any errors, nor does it result in a readable disc.

> My third problem is a real bummer.  It might not be my fault at all.  I
> have 2 SCSI hard disks in a striped vinum RAID array.  Whenever I do
> something disk-intensive, it slows my system down a lot more than it
> should.  I'm not using identical drives, but the disk slices being used
> are identical in size.  It also slows down considerably when I burn a
> CD, and any mp3s I have playing are stopped for the duration of the
> burn.

> I've already invested a considerable amount of time trying to fix all of
> these problems both reading and banging away at the keyboard.  I haven't
> been able to make any progress, and I'm all out of ideas as to what to
> try next.

1. Shell script question (may or may not be specific to pkgadd)

Hey guys, I've got a problem that is starting to drive me nuts.  Let's see
if anyone can help.  It's occurring on Solaris 2.x (2.4 in particular), in
a pkgadd request script, but I wonder whether the answer might be more
general.

My request script has stdin capability (as expected), and that works fine.
However, I'm trying to list a file prior to getting input, and I am using
'more' to do this.  'more' starts and prints the first screen of the file,
says that it is 25% (or however much) done, but then abruptly exits without
giving me the chance to view the rest of the file.  I've tried invoking it
in the following methods, with no difference in behavior:

more $MYFILE
more $MYFILE <&0
(more $MYFILE)
(more $MYFILE <&0)
cat $MYFILE | more
cat $MYFILE | more <&0
(cat $MYFILE | more)
(cat $MYFILE | more <&0)

Why would 'more' not be able to continue?  Is its stdin not the same as (or
inherited from) the one in my request script?

If the answer to the above is 'Sorry, but no solution', then here's what
I'm trying to do, and let's see if there is an alternate path I can take.
The file I am viewing is actually a license agreement, which I follow up
with a question verifying that the user agrees to it.  I could just use the
'copyright' file capability associated with pkgadd, but that does not pause
between screens, and the user would not be able to see the entire file
contents.  Furthermore, I have an INSTALL script that installs multiple
packages, so I only want to present the license once from the installer.
However, I want each package to be able to present the license if the user
is using either swmtool or pkgadd directly (the scripts detect whether I am
running from the INSTALL script and bypass this step.)  One possible
solution would be to make the license file the copyright, and just have my
request script ask if they agree, but then I would need to pass some
argument to pkgadd (from my INSTALL script) to tell it to not display the
copyright agreement.  Based on the pkgadd man pages, however, I don't think
such an argument exists.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Dan Mondrik

2. pam_ldap goofs things up for local user login when network interface is down

3. iptables woes - may be RELATED related :)

4. AIX 4.3.2 How many memory sticks?

6. Anyway to limit the bandwidth a server can use?

7. help: __CurrentException problem, may be 4.1.5 related

8. linux cd-rom kernel patch

9. Network Latency problem 2.4.20 (may be related to cls_u32)

10. Socket to which related processes may read/write ?.

11. This may seem like another really stupid one

12. Linux *Really* Takes Off Beginning May 2001

13. Help: lilo problem (BIOS drive 0x82 may not be accessible)