Problem with natd, running on FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE

Post by Mark Duel » Tue, 23 Oct 2001 04:01:20

Problem with natd, running on FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE:

NATD is configured using default instructions, passing data from outside
card xl0 to inside card rl0.  The router works beautifully from inside the
LAN, but ever since I installed it I've been getting a repeating error on
the server:

 ns1 natd[125]: failed to write packet back (Permission Denied)

The message, over the past few days, have been repeated over 100,000 times.

From what I can tell, it's not a firewall error, because I turned logging
off.  I'm guessing it has something to do with the permissions of the
system, which I have not fiddled with from the default values.  I'm running
natd as root.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.  Let me know if you need more
information about my system.

Mark Duell

Problem with natd, running on FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE

Post by John Nielse » Tue, 23 Oct 2001 07:36:50

Quote:> Problem with natd, running on FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE:

> NATD is configured using default instructions, passing data from
outside
> card xl0 to inside card rl0.  The router works beautifully from inside
the
> LAN, but ever since I installed it I've been getting a repeating error
on
> the server:

>  ns1 natd[125]: failed to write packet back (Permission Denied)

> The message, over the past few days, have been repeated over 100,000
times.

> From what I can tell, it's not a firewall error, because I turned
logging
> off.  I'm guessing it has something to do with the permissions of the
> system, which I have not fiddled with from the default values.  I'm
running
> natd as root.

> Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.  Let me know if you need
more
> information about my system.

Looks like a firewall error to me.  Or rather, natd is trying to do
something not allowed by your firewall rules.

Perhaps you should post the relevant (natd and firewall) portions of
your /etc/rc.conf file, as well as any customized firewall rules you may
have.

JN