upgrade FBSD

Post by Jeff Deakl » Thu, 10 Dec 1998 04:00:00

If I upgrade FBSD should I copy my .conf file to tape or flopy before
upgrading?  Does the upgrade rewrite the .conf files?

upgrade FBSD

Post by Steven G. Kar » Thu, 10 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> If I upgrade FBSD should I copy my .conf file to tape or flopy before
> upgrading?  Does the upgrade rewrite the .conf files?

Yes.  It depends.

Yes, back up your /etc directory to floppy.  This is good for
security reasons as well asi a safety net in case of a hardware
failure.

If you use a standard method to upgrade your system, then
the files in /etc will not be touched.  If you do anything
in a haphazard manner, then you could toast those files.

You will want to merge changes in /usr/src/etc into /etc.

--
Steve

1. Upgrading FBSD 2.1.5 to 3.1 with no working floppy disk drive

I'm trying to upgrade my FBSD box and it doesn't have a working floppy disk
drive.  Some where down the line in headed south on me.  I have the
distribution files available on the my network via ftp so that is not a
problem, but how can I get the system booted up with the 3.1 kernel(the one
that would otherwise go on the floppy disk) so I can do the install.  I
tried to copy the boot.flp to the "/" and specify it on a reboot but it
complains of an invalid something or another.  I also tried to "dd
if=/boot.flp of=/kernel.31", but I got the same non-results.

I'm thinking that the boot up process has changed from 2.1.5 to 3.1 so it
won't allow me to boot the boot.flp(v3.1) kernel on a 2.1.5 box. Does that
sound accurate?

thanks
Brian

or

2. The Linux Group

3. How to upgrade my FBSD 4.1.1-release to 4.1.1-stable using CTM ?

4. Ping / networking problems

5. Upgrade KDE 2.0 to KDE 2.1.2 on FBSD 4.2R....

6. Sound on YDL

7. Best way to change from FBSD-2.2.7 to FBSD-4.1-stable

8. Licence regime turns off buyers

9. upgrading bind on fbsd 3.4

10. Upgrade Sendmail 8.11.1/8.11.1 on FBSD 4.2

11. HELP: How does a FBSD/FBSD diskless configuration perform booting?

12. FBSD 2.2.1R -> 2.2.2R cdrom upgrade problem

13. FBSD 2.2.2 vs. FBSD 2.2-STABLE