Memory limits

Post by Marcelino Enrique » Mon, 14 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hi there,

    Here is my question and I hope this can be fixed. I am currently
overseeing
a cluster of 3 freebsd machines runnning 2.2.2 Release #0.

First machine has 256Megs of ram
The second machine has 128megs of ram.
Final one has 64Megs.

The first machine has a kernel that has been compiled to allow programs
to grow as
big as 200megs. The only problem is that for some reason the only one
who can have
programs grow to this size are those who are logged in on the console.
If you login remotely
or rsh into the machine you are restricticed to a much smaller chunk of
memory. This
seems to appear in all three setups. If you login on console you get as
much memory as the
machine was setup to give, but remote login users are allowed only 1/4th
to 1/2 of that size.

Unfortunately this is hendering us since the applications we are
running, run in parallel via
rshes and thus need more memory then freebsd is willing to give.

Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks

Memory limits

Post by Matt Dill » Mon, 14 Jul 1997 04:00:00

:>Hi there,
:>
:>    Here is my question and I hope this can be fixed. I am currently
:>overseeing
:>a cluster of 3 freebsd machines runnning 2.2.2 Release #0.
:>
:>First machine has 256Megs of ram
:>The second machine has 128megs of ram.
:>Final one has 64Megs.
:>
:>The first machine has a kernel that has been compiled to allow programs
:>to grow as
:>big as 200megs. The only problem is that for some reason the only one
:>who can have
:>programs grow to this size are those who are logged in on the console.
:>If you login remotely

    one word:   /etc/login.conf

    :-)

1. question about process memory usage and process memory limits

i'd like to check the memory usage of an application (binary executable).

I'd also like to find out if my UNIX system (Tru64) has any utility
to show process memory limits and job memory limits.

ipcs - is one utility, but i'm not sure.

simple tests are fine, tests for shared memory may come later.

please advise.

2. networking problem with LICQ

3. How to find out the share-memory limits of

4. Segmentation Fault

5. IPC Shared Memory Limit

6. problem with compaq prosignia VS

7. Change memory limits for large executable?

8. Arbitrary mlock() half-memory limit.

9. 4GB memory limit

10. loadlin memory limit

11. 64 MB Memory Limit in Red Hat 5.1