need an advice about addressing

Post by Lindber » Fri, 26 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I am setting up a host not permanently connected to the net, say a FreeBSD
work station aimed to personal needs: scientific documentation, and mail
(not much). Nothing too intensive. But my ISP need 5 user names (I am entitled
to 5 address publicly declared with my domain name) and perhaps I'd better
to give three or four "technical" address to manage correctly my system.
Of course there is "postmaster" and "root". And I don't believe I need a
Majordomo.

I'd like to know whether someone could give me a few suggestions; naturally
I consulted /etc/aliases to find some account or pseudo account which could
be useful, but I'm not convinced.

Thank you very much

(Please just answer directly in the Newsgroup)

Post by coka » Fri, 26 May 2000 04:00:00

>Hi,

>I am setting up a host not permanently connected to the net, say a FreeBSD
>work station aimed to personal needs: scientific documentation, and mail
>(not much). Nothing too intensive. But my ISP need 5 user names (I am entitled
>to 5 address publicly declared with my domain name) and perhaps I'd better
>to give three or four "technical" address to manage correctly my system.
>Of course there is "postmaster" and "root". And I don't believe I need a
>Majordomo.

If it's just for personal use then it is a normal ISP a/c yes?
If you're not using it to host a website or live on a network or anything
then you don't need to give your ISP root or postmaster as email addresses

Conor, prolly completely mis-understanding...

1. need advice needed on partioning

I have a 2GB partition that I am upgrading my system with. When I first
setup Linux years ago I was new to Unix and so I put everything in one
big partition in /   Now I know that's a bad idea.
I intend to split up the 2GB as follows
/     100MB
/usr  800MB or 900MB
/var  100MB
/home 800MB
/tmp  100GB
Swap will be on another drive/partition
The machine is my home PC and Linux is now the primary OS.  MSWindows
has been relegated to online banking and games.  Are these reasonable
numbers or am I missing something?  What kind of numbers do you guys
have for your drives?  The distribution I have is Debian and the kernel
is v2.0.33

later
jmb

2. How can I config Redhat Linux Apache server

3. Have IP Address need MAC address

4. socks5 zombies (lots of them) on 4.1.1-R

5. Need help: getting name address from ethernet address

6. Database with ODBC Driver for linux

7. newbie advice:changing ip address on redhat machine

8. Small error in 2.4.19 makefile a real show stopper...

9. Advice about 10 addresses on a single pipe to router

10. YDL 1.2 Synergy VGM5 Virtual Address, Physical Address, Bus Address and remap_page_range (HELP!)

11. Need advice to build Mosaic 2.6 on Linux system

12. RAID Level 1 errors, need advice...

13. Need advice re chaining http proxies