help : Mac adress Traceroute/ping/whatever -like util ???

help : Mac adress Traceroute/ping/whatever -like util ???

Post by Kristian Ra » Sat, 06 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi

For starters .. i'm aware that u cant ping (or traceroute) a mac
adress... but i have two new problems that makes me *think* i need to
have a tool help me find the machines w. certain adresses....

Problem one

1) Print server...
No console port :-((
Programmer forgot what IP he gave it....
mac addr. printet on bottom of printserver
What to do ???
Send something to it and listen via sniffer tool
what it tries to say if someone pumps <what / how ? >
at the mac adress ?????

2) Router error... i think !....

ed0 = dmz       public ip range
ed1 = lan       192.168.1.*
ex0 = internet  one other pub. ip.

from dmesg
arp: 192.168.1.153 is on ed1 but got reply from <mac-addr> on ex0

I checked
- Cable modem from ISP
  It is DIRECTLY connected to ex0 ! No hub or switch !
  just a crossover tp cable
- Anyone in the company have a modem ??? (call other isp
  possible 95/98/Apple Mac *s up and decides to move
  ip in funny ways  ???)
  But no dice ! Only modem is internal in a 24/7 fax server
- ifconfig -a is ok to

And yes... HOW THE F-word is a 192.168.* addr. allowed
through to me ??

Huuh ... :--( )

I'm VERY much interested in the physical location of
said ethernet interface [ :--<= => (grrr......  spoof attack ???)

So in short...

- HOWTO
- TOOLS

TIA & regards

Kristian

Post by Miguel Cr » Tue, 09 May 2000 04:00:00

> 1) Print server...
> No console port :-((
> Programmer forgot what IP he gave it....
> mac addr. printet on bottom of printserver
> What to do ???

Maybe it responds to broadcast pings. Ping 255.255.255.255 and then check
your arp cache for the MAC address of the printer.

miguel

1. Prevent access to linux server when mac adress does not match ip adress

Hello,

i am running a red hat 6.2 server which is used for internet ip traffic
measurement.
All clients connected to this server get a ip adress through dhcp. To be
sure that every client keeps getting the smake ip adress when it connects
the dhcp server gives ip adresses to the client pc's based on their mac
adress.  This works fine as long as the clients are not changing their ip
adress manualy.

Is there a way to prevent access to the linux server when the ip adress of a
certain client does not match the mac adress.

Thanks,

Kris Houben

2. Lilo boot

3. Traceroute/ping help

4. telnet

5. need help ping/traceroute problems and more...

6. Hardening SunOS 2.5.1

7. Please help: Wierd traceroute's and pings

8. Slackware Pro 2.1 & UMSDOS

9. need help ping/traceroute problems

10. ping,traceroute,dns work; telnet,ftp don't - help (LNE100TX, tulip 0.9.13

11. pppd is up, but cannot ping/traceroute/connect to internet - help please

12. Why does compress produce whatever.ext.Z rather than z/whatever.ext?

13. IP-Spoofing / MAC-Adress Spoofing / arp requests