Missing files from distribution CD?

Post by Tim Rea » Sun, 04 Mar 2001 01:58:37

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!! (please)

Having successfully installed FreeBSD 4.2 from a CD (which came with a
computer magazine) onto my PC at work I thought I would do the same on the
machine at home (so I could play in both places :-)), only to find that when
I tried to install the XFree86 files I got two error messages, both
complaining that the system was unable to extract things, namely: Xlk98 and
X9set.

What I do not understand is that it is the same CDROM that worked fine in
the office....

Any suggestions?

I am completely new to FreeBSD by the way.

Many thanks in advance.

Tim Read

Post by Tony Sweene » Tue, 06 Mar 2001 11:36:55

> Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!! (please)

> Having successfully installed FreeBSD 4.2 from a CD (which came with a
> computer magazine) onto my PC at work I thought I would do the same on the
> machine at home (so I could play in both places :-)), only to find that when
> I tried to install the XFree86 files I got two error messages, both
> complaining that the system was unable to extract things, namely: Xlk98 and
> X9set.

This was true of the first ISO that was put up on the web site, where a
bunch of this stuff seemed to be missing (or maybe I burned a corrupt
CD).  The X98 stuff is only needed in some funky Japan-only plug and
pray environments, so just keep hitting the ignore/skip button so that
the install runs to completion, and you'll be OK.  If you buy the
official distribution from cdrom.com, it doesn't do this.

Quote:> What I do not understand is that it is the same CDROM that worked fine in
> the office....

Maybe you scratched it?

Quote:

> Any suggestions?

I strongly advise you buy Greg Lehey's book with the official
distribution CDs.  You can get by with what's on the 'net, but the book
is a great resource, and mass-produced CDs are less prone to bit-rot
than green/gold ones.  Plus, you get a static snapshot of the ports
distributions, which can save you hours of downloading time if you have
a slow connection.  And, you'll be supporting the development effort.

Tony.

1. Missing files in Linux-2.0 distribution?

Hi, y'all.

When Linus announced the 2.0 release, I got all excited and immediately
collected that nice 5706K file marked as linux-2.0.  Now that I've
finally had a chance to untar the thing, I've reconfigured for my
preferences and fired off 'make dep' to start the process, and I get and
error during the 'make dep' process.  There seems to be a directory
missing from the 'net' subtree.  The Makefile (and README) expect a
'core' subdirectory which I suspect gets removed if you do a "make
distclean". (which I did right before a cvs import :<)  Would it be
worth renaming this directory to something like 'net-core'?  Also, can
anyone tell me where to pick up just the 'core' sub-tree so that I can
at long last build my 2.0 kernel?

Lamar Folsom

Univerity of Idaho - Network Administrator (208) 885-2702
http://www.cs.uidaho.edu/~fols9488
"Life is wasted on the living."  - The Master

2. Solaris 2.4: tcp_conn_req_max, Apache?

3. Miss and Mach config files from differnt distribution.

4. X Server

5. missing files in SLS 1.03 distribution

6. hi

7. ssl/*.so files missing in binary distribution httpd-2.0.35 for RH72

8. Linux install of IBM Valuepoint - HELP!!

9. How to password protect files on distribution CD

10. Getting RPM files from distribution CD to Linux

11. RH 3.0.3 -> RH 4.2 CD Missing File?

12. Linux CD distribution for Phillips CM206 cd rom

13. libpng.so.3 - missing library file missing