cvsup'ing annoyances

Post by Davi » Fri, 10 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi
    I am using 3.3-STABLE and ever 3 weeks or so, i cvsup the tree and
rebuild it.  For example, if I have BIND 8.2.2-P5 installed, and i rebuild
my system, i end up with 8.1.2.  Is there anyway to stop the rebuild from
replacing newer versions?

Thanks

David

cvsup'ing annoyances

Post by ze.. » Fri, 10 Dec 1999 04:00:00

: Hi
:     I am using 3.3-STABLE and ever 3 weeks or so, i cvsup the tree and
: rebuild it.  For example, if I have BIND 8.2.2-P5 installed, and i rebuild
: my system, i end up with 8.1.2.  Is there anyway to stop the rebuild from
: replacing newer versions?

        Simply, keep your hands out of the system's name space.  Don't put
        local stuff under /usr, this isn't Linux after all.  Put local
        additions under /usr/local.

--

                                    "Nyet.  Linux coder in next office."
                                    "Good man.  Ignore the screams."

cvsup'ing annoyances

Post by Steven G. Kar » Fri, 10 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi
>     I am using 3.3-STABLE and ever 3 weeks or so, i cvsup the tree and
> rebuild it.  For example, if I have BIND 8.2.2-P5 installed, and i rebuild
> my system, i end up with 8.1.2.  Is there anyway to stop the rebuild from
> replacing newer versions?

Yes.  Read the man page for cvsup and learn about the refuse
feature.  Edit all Makefiles in usr/src that build components
of bind and refuse to update those Makefiles.  Of course, you
might lose other features.

--
Steve

1. IP Masq'ing annoyance, X-Server needs fixed font

Please reply to newsgroup & email.  Thank you.

First the IP masq'ing annoyance:

I have 2 Win98SE machines behind my Mandrake 7.1 box on a dsl line.  This
seems to be the best way to secure them from scrt-kiddies who don't know
squat about *nix.  Works too - my logs show some neat stuff now & again.

BUT, I want to play Icewind Dale with a friend in AU.  And now my Winboxes
can't get on the Inet thru linux on the ports needed by IWD.  IWD seems to
semi-randomly assign ports from 2300-2400.

I have NO idea how to get it to open.  I portscan the winbox with IWD
waiting for a connection and port 2373 (for instance) will be open.  I scan
the nix box, nothing.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Now for the X-Server:

For no reason I can find, I now can't start my X-server.  It tells me it
can't find the font 'fixed' and I have no idea what I did with it.

The only things I can think of that have changed is I updated to pronto
2.0.0, and I had to replace my swap & /tmp drive.

The old swap & /tmp drive died (not completely, could copy everything in
/tmp over to a diff partition - and it worked).  So I used a diff partition
for a while.  Then I got another small drive I could use, did the same
procedure for copying the /tmp files over.  After getting fstab right &
rebooting I suddenly can't use my X-server.

Quick outline of events in order in case I wasn't clear:

Everything works.
swap /tmp drive fails
copy things to another partition on a diff drive
reboot
update Pronto
get an rpl drive
reboot (to install hdware)
copy things to the new rpl drive
reboot
no more X-server

Again, help appreciated.

Ty

2. Fortune won't run

3. Problem cvsup'ing from 3.4-S to 4.0-S

4. Passwords

5. cvsup'ing an older version of a port

6. Centronics Parallel Port Intermittent Errors To Older Lineprinters

7. CVSUP'ing help

8. Changing IRQs & setserial

9. cvsup'ing 3.0 RELEASE - SOLVED - Works Great..

10. cvsup'ing 3.0 RELEASE

11. cvsup and make'ing new system

12. Help ftp'ing and telnet'ing

13. delay telnet'ing and ftp'ing to System V SVR4