Anybody have any luck with ApplixWare?

Post by mar » Wed, 11 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I remember that they posted a freebsd port in the works, well I
dont want to wait.  Has anyone goten applixware to run under
freebsd?  There demo installed fine.  I just want to know befor
paying my money if possable.  I have tried star office and it
just did not agree with me.

marc

Post by Peter Lo » Thu, 12 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> I remember that they posted a freebsd port in the works, well I
> dont want to wait.  Has anyone goten applixware to run under
> freebsd?  There demo installed fine.  I just want to know befor
> paying my money if possable.  I have tried star office and it
> just did not agree with me.

> marc

I use Applixware every day under FreeBSD, it works fine.

--
Peter Lowe -- System Administrator, Telenor Internet

Everything I know in life I learnt from .sigs.

1. Trying to compile gtkwave on Solaris 7 box, with GCC 2.95, having no luck.

I am relatively new to Solaris. I am trying to compile a tool called
gtkwave-1.3 on a solaris 7 box. I am much more used to Linux and BSD.

Anyways, the place where it dies is linking some helper command line
applications which require zlib.  There were zlib libraries (static
libz.a and libz.so) already on the machine, but the libz.so needed
a dynamic libc.  So I got this error:

ld: warning: file libgcc_s.so.1: required by /usr/lib/libz.so, not found

I figured it was because the /usr/lib/libz.so needed libgcc_s.so (yes I
can read an error message).  So I searched the whole filesystem and
there is no such file as "libgcc_s.so" or anything close.

So I thought, now I really am confused.

So I then tried to force link with libz.a instead of libz.so, first by
renaming libz.so (yes, this was bad, but if the system has no
libgcc_s.so, any app trying to load libz.so would fail anyways), then
relinking. No luck.

So then I figured both libz.a and libz.so must be screwed, so I decided
to rebuild them from sources. So I did a download of the zlib binaries
from www.sunfreeware.com, and those didn't work, so I did a build from
zlib sources (configure, make test, make install).  Now I have libz.a in
/usr/lib, but attempts to compile a program that uses libz.a ( gcc
option -lz) dies with this error:

bash#gcc -O2 -lz -o mvl2lxt mvl2lxt.c lxt_write.c

Undefined                       first referenced
  symbol                             in file
gzdopen                             /var/tmp/cco1OmHW.o
gzwrite                             /var/tmp/cco1OmHW.o
gzclose                             /var/tmp/cco1OmHW.o

Why is this happening? I have a valid libz.a in /usr/lib/libz.a

What am I doing wrong? Besides being a clueless Solaris Newbie. Help!

Warren Postma
Toronto Canada

2. Why does AppleVision Monitor Flash booting OF or Linux Installer?

3. FreeBSD install - not having much luck

4. Drucker ohne Lizenz zum Drucken

5. HELP: Having bad luck with Xfree86 Cirrus drivers

6. XSun tricks

7. Anybody have luck with xmail?

8. Simple Mail Question

9. Anybody have any luck with an SMC E2000 Clone?

10. VNC - Anybody had any luck with this?

11. Has anybody had any luck with hp722c?

12. anybody has luck with 133MHz pentium by New World?

13. Anybody had luck with rvplayer5.0