UUCP

Post by Doron Shmaryah » Fri, 08 Nov 2002 00:44:48

Hi,

I have a leased line. My provider upstream runs uucp for mail. Can anyone
explain in simple terms what I need to do to get it up and running ??

thanks

UUCP

Post by ta.. » Fri, 08 Nov 2002 02:11:09

: Hi,

: I have a leased line. My provider upstream runs uucp for mail. Can anyone
: explain in simple terms what I need to do to get it up and running ??

First you have to configure uucp so that it can speak to your provider,
the most difficult part.
The most important file is sys, here is an example for connexion over TCP

system asmodee

# The login name and password are kept in the callout password file
# (by default this is the file "call" in newconfigdir).
call-login *
call-password *

# We can send anything at any time.
time any

# The port we use to dial out.
port type tcp
port service 540
port family inet
address asmodee.lpthe.jussieu.fr
chat ogin: \L word: \P

Here system asmodee is described as known to the local machine, and the way to
contact it. If you have a modem connection things are more involved, you have
to describe chat scripts in the dial file and refer to them in sys. See
info uucp.

When uucp works, you need to ask sendamil to route mail through uucp. Here is
an example of .mc file (you convert to .cf using make in /etc/mail)
VERSIONID(`$FreeBSD: src/etc/sendmail/freebsd.mc,v 1.10.2.8 2001/03/06 02:12:59 gshapiro Exp $')
OSTYPE(bsd4.4)
DOMAIN(generic)
MASQUERADE_AS(`lpthe.jussieu.fr')dnl
FEATURE(`masquerade_entire_domain')dnl
FEATURE(access_db, `hash -o -T<TMPF> /etc/mail/access')
FEATURE(`accept_unqualified_senders')dnl
FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl
FEATURE(local_lmtp)
FEATURE(mailertable, `hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable')
FEATURE(`use_cw_file')dnl
FEATURE(dnsbl)
define(`SMART_HOST', `[parthe.lpthe.jussieu.fr]')
define(`confCW_FILE', `-o /etc/mail/local-host-names')
define(`confMAX_MIME_HEADER_LENGTH', `256/128')
define(`confNO_RCPT_ACTION', `add-to-undisclosed')
define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `authwarnings,noexpn,novrfy')
define(`confBIND_OPTS', `WorkAroundBrokenAAAA')
MAILER(local)
MAILER(smtp)
MAILER(uucp)

Main points, you introduce uucp mailer, disable everything trying to contact
nameservers, while preserving good looking addresses (MASQUERADE).
You send all your mail to the upstream provider (SMART_HOST).
Local mail should be delivered locally.
The way to direct mail to uucp is through an entry in mailertable, such as:
rose.lpthe.jussieu.fr    uucp-dom:rose

Then all is setup. When you contact the uucp peer by issuing something as
uux rose!
the system discovers mail queued on rose, downloads all the spool.
It also sends all local mail to the distant machine.
Then uucp sends the files to rmail which hands them to sendmail for local delivery.

: thanks

--

Michel TALON

1. uucp ignores /etc/uucp/port file ???

I can't get UUCP to dial out.  I think the problem relates to
UUCP ignoring my port file.  I'm running uucp-1.06.1-16 on a
Redhat 5.1 (plus most errata patches) system.  Below are some
diagnostics.  Any ideas?

uuchk reports in part:

Alternate 0
 When called using any login name
  This alternate applies when calling using port ACU at speed 38400
  The possible ports are:
  Port name ACU
    Port type modem
    Device /dev/cua0
    Speed 38400
    Carrier available
    Hardware flow control available
    Dialer hayes
    [snip]

I've confirmed that UUCP *is* reading my /etc/uucp/config file,
which says in part:

    portfile /etc/uucp/port

My /etc/uucp/port file says in part:

    port ACU
    type modem
    device  /dev/ttyS0
    dialer hayes
    speed 57600

Thanks in advance....

--
kevinc AT doink DOT com

Change the AT and DOT in my reply-to address to send e-mail.

2. smtp exploit

3. Taylor UUCP <-> VAX/VMS UUCP problems

4. Slackware Updates?

5. UUCP-NEWS-MAIL-FAQ: Linux UUCP/News/Mail Frequently Asked Questions

6. How to limit the use of /tmp and /var/tmp by arbitrary users

7. slip or PPP setup on slackware?

8. Solaris UUCP <-> Taylor UUCP

9. UUCP and Anonymous UUCP

10. UUCP-NEWS-MAIL-FAQ: Linux UUCP/News/Mail Frequently Asked Questions

11. UUCP --> Internet --> UUCP connection

12. UUCP-NEWS-MAIL-FAQ: Linux UUCP/News/Mail Frequently Asked Questions