Disabling ppp's firewall

Post by Davo » Thu, 20 Jun 2002 12:50:32

I want to disable every firewall but ipfw on my machine cause there is
something blocking connections and I can't tell what it is, I don't know
what firewalls are present but I've given access to port 6699 in IPFW
but I still get kernel messages saying connection attempt to (my
IP:6699) but I want to let them through and I'm getting really
frustrated!

Thanks in Advance,

Dave

Disabling ppp's firewall

Post by Thomas Wo » Thu, 20 Jun 2002 17:08:22

Hi Dave,

>I want to disable every firewall but ipfw on my machine cause there is
>something blocking connections and I can't tell what it is, I don't know
>what firewalls are present but I've given access to port 6699 in IPFW
>but I still get kernel messages saying connection attempt to (my
>IP:6699) but I want to let them through and I'm getting really
>frustrated!

Some questions to track the problem down:
Are you sure your program is listening on port 6699
and on the correct IP ?
What does 'sockstat | grep 6699' print out ?
Can you connect locally ?
(e.g.does ' telnet localhost 6699' connect or print
out 'connection refused')
Can you connect to other services running on your IP ?

Wild guess: Do you have IPFILTER enabled in your kernel
with a default-to-deny in addition to IPFW ? (This would obviously
block incoming connections but I dont know if it would lead to the
 kernel messages you described)

Thomas