HELP...is the Adaptec AIC 7880 supported?

HELP...is the Adaptec AIC 7880 supported?

Post by Louis Epste » Sat, 25 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I'm just about to get major upgrade hardware for my news server,
everything is on its way to or already at my supplier except for the SCSI
adapter.

Concurrent with the hardware upgrade,I will be moving from FreeBSD 2.1.0
to 2.2.5.

A key part of the upgrade is moving from single to multiple SCSI
adapters,and the existing motherboard and VL-Bus SCSI adapter
are both being removed.I have chosen a motherboard with an onboard
SCSI controller,the Adaptec 7880...but FreeBSD docs only mention
support for the older,slower AIC 7850.

Do I need to get a 3940 to have multiple SCSI channels,or will I,
as intended,be able to use both the 7880 on the MB and a 2940??

Post by James Zepe » Sun, 26 Oct 1997 04:00:00

: A key part of the upgrade is moving from single to multiple SCSI
: adapters,and the existing motherboard and VL-Bus SCSI adapter
: are both being removed.I have chosen a motherboard with an onboard
: SCSI controller,the Adaptec 7880...but FreeBSD docs only mention
: support for the older,slower AIC 7850.

It has support for most Adaptec SCSI controllers, I have a 7880 based
motherboard, and it works fine, however tagged queuing under load could
cause some problems.  I however would stay away from Adaptec controllers
for a news server, as a caching controller would help a lot, speedwise.

: Do I need to get a 3940 to have multiple SCSI channels,or will I,
: as intended,be able to use both the 7880 on the MB and a 2940??

No. Yes.

- j. a. zepeda

Post by Louis Epste » Sun, 26 Oct 1997 04:00:00

:
: : A key part of the upgrade is moving from single to multiple SCSI
: : adapters,and the existing motherboard and VL-Bus SCSI adapter
: : are both being removed.I have chosen a motherboard with an onboard
: : SCSI controller,the Adaptec 7880...but FreeBSD docs only mention
: : support for the older,slower AIC 7850.
:
: It has support for most Adaptec SCSI controllers, I have a 7880 based
: motherboard, and it works fine, however tagged queuing under load could
: cause some problems.  I however would stay away from Adaptec controllers
: for a news server, as a caching controller would help a lot, speedwise.

So why don't the FBSD docs say the newer AIC models are supported??

: : Do I need to get a 3940 to have multiple SCSI channels,or will I,
: : as intended,be able to use both the 7880 on the MB and a 2940??
:
: No. Yes.

Good...

HELP...is the Adaptec AIC 7880 supported?

Post by Steinar Ha » Sun, 26 Oct 1997 04:00:00

[James Zepeda]

|   It has support for most Adaptec SCSI controllers, I have a 7880 based
|   motherboard, and it works fine, however tagged queuing under load could
|   cause some problems.  I however would stay away from Adaptec controllers
|   for a news server, as a caching controller would help a lot, speedwise.

Lots of people use Adaptec controllers for News servers.

As for a caching controller: If you have a caching controller with NVRAM,
so that you can safely turn on async metadata update, it may be a good
idea. If you don't have NVRAM, a lot of people think that the money for a
caching controller is better spent on extra memory for the server (and/or
more disks) instead.

HELP...is the Adaptec AIC 7880 supported?

Post by Jerry Hick » Sun, 26 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I however would stay away from Adaptec controllers
> for a news server, as a caching controller would help a
> lot, speedwise.

So... anyone have specific experience with caching controllers they
would recommend?

Jerry Hicks

HELP...is the Adaptec AIC 7880 supported?

Post by James Zepe » Sun, 26 Oct 1997 04:00:00

: So why don't the FBSD docs say the newer AIC models are supported??

I don't know that much about the Adaptec line, but I know the 7880 is essentially a 2940UW, but the aic that's listed may not have a PCI card
counterpart.  It does list the 294x though, and I know the 7880 works because I have one.

: : : Do I need to get a 3940 to have multiple SCSI channels,or will I,
: : : as intended,be able to use both the 7880 on the MB and a 2940??
: :
: : No. Yes.

: Good...

HELP...is the Adaptec AIC 7880 supported?

Post by James Zepe » Sun, 26 Oct 1997 04:00:00

: > I however would stay away from Adaptec controllers
: > for a news server, as a caching controller would help a
: > lot, speedwise.

: So... anyone have specific experience with caching controllers they
: would recommend?

I've heard Mylex is good.

- j. a. zepeda

HELP...is the Adaptec AIC 7880 supported?

Post by Jerry Hick » Sun, 26 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> : > I however would stay away from Adaptec controllers
> : > for a news server, as a caching controller would help a
> : > lot, speedwise.

> : So... anyone have specific experience with caching controllers they
> : would recommend?

> I've heard Mylex is good.

> - j. a. zepeda

Once bitten, twice shy...

They burned me pretty bad a couple of years ago. No Thanks.

Any others?

Cheers!

Jerry Hicks

HELP...is the Adaptec AIC 7880 supported?

Post by James Zepe » Sun, 26 Oct 1997 04:00:00

: >

: > : > I however would stay away from Adaptec controllers
: > : > for a news server, as a caching controller would help a
: > : > lot, speedwise.
: >
: > : So... anyone have specific experience with caching controllers they
: > : would recommend?
: >
: > I've heard Mylex is good.
: >
: > - j. a. zepeda

: Once bitten, twice shy...

: They burned me pretty bad a couple of years ago. No Thanks.

: Any others?

DPT makes what look like nice megabuck scsi raid controllers, so I'd
assume that they make caching controllers.  FreeBSD's drivers for these
though are very alpha, and not public domain, but free. Noncaching but
nice are the NCR/Symbios cards.

- j. a. zepeda