Xdm turns off monitor when logout -- how to avoid?

Xdm turns off monitor when logout -- how to avoid?

Post by vector sigm » Tue, 24 Sep 2002 13:56:01

Hi there:

  I am using FreeBSD 4.6, XFree86 4.x.x (the one that comes with FBSD 4.6
  install disk). I also have ATI Radeon 7500. Xdm runs without problem. But
  what I don't like is that whenever root or a user logs off, the monitor
  gets turned off briefly before that "LOGIN" widget appears.

  How can I prevent that from happening?

  Thanks for any suggestions.

  vector sigma

Xdm turns off monitor when logout -- how to avoid?

Post by Steve Burto » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 04:49:00

Vector,

this is xdm restarting the X server on logoff and is normal! It is
more noticable on some hardware than others. I have a workstation with
a matrox card at home and it just 'blinks' but my workstation at work
with an nVidia card goes black, then shows the crosshatched X
background before coming back to a login. BTW I use wdm rather than
xdm 'cos it's easier to customize IMHO.

Steve.

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002 04:56:01 GMT, "vector sigma"

>Hi there:

>  I am using FreeBSD 4.6, XFree86 4.x.x (the one that comes with FBSD 4.6
>  install disk). I also have ATI Radeon 7500. Xdm runs without problem. But
>  what I don't like is that whenever root or a user logs off, the monitor
>  gets turned off briefly before that "LOGIN" widget appears.

>  How can I prevent that from happening?

>  Thanks for any suggestions.

>  vector sigma

Xdm turns off monitor when logout -- how to avoid?

Post by vector sigm » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 10:03:40

Thanks you, Steve, for your reply. I am at ease now :)

vector sigma