How to write the program to get the new password

How to write the program to get the new password

Post by Steel Ts » Wed, 08 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hi
        We known that if we want to chage the password , we must to
run the passwd command. I have a project that is write a program and
change the old password. Who can tell me how to do.

Post by Dannym » Wed, 08 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>    We known that if we want to change the password , we must to
>run the passwd command. I have a project that is write a program and
>change the old password. Who can tell me how to do.

        .... change the *old* password? What old password, you mean
one no longer in use? <very confused>
--
=====///====================================================================

\\\///========== HOME PAGE! http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/djhoward ============
=\XX/Allen=171==============================================================
                 CSx73 has been shown to cause insanity.
--
=====///====================================================================

\\\///========== HOME PAGE! http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/djhoward ============
=\XX/Allen=171==============================================================

How to write the program to get the new password

Post by Bill Hilbur » Sat, 11 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hello Steel Tsai !

More than likely you will not find much help with, number one
no one with the answer is gonna buy into this, ie.. we don't
simply pass out that kind of secure information.

Any program you write must use the password encryption routines,
they are *always* encrypted, there are routines to do what your
asking (Change the password), write your code to ask the user
for there old password, pass this to the proper routine and
it will be compared (in an encrypted form) to the password in
the database and the return value will tell you if they supplied
the proper password, if true pass the new password to the proper
routine and it will change the password in the database (again
encrypted).

No you will never see the password un-encrypted !

CAUTION: IMPROPER EDITING OF THE PASSWD FILE CAN CAUSE CORRUPTION !!!

All the information you will need is already on any UNIX box that
has the development system.

Hope this helps !
#include <bill.h>
Bill Hilburn
Lincoln School of Commerce
http://www.binary.net/billh
http://www.route155.com

> Hi
>         We known that if we want to chage the password , we must to
> run the passwd command. I have a project that is write a program and
> change the old password. Who can tell me how to do.

1. How to program/write a new filesystems into the kernel?

Forgive the dumb question I'm about to ask, but I've been searching
around for a while, and just haven't seen anything on this topic.

I am interested in adding an Microware OS9 system into the kernel
(compiled into the kernel or module form), and to have it work properly
with mount.  Is there any documentation that tells what one has to do to
hook the file systems into the kernel?  I have looked into the kernel
source files and the various file systems.  It's still not really clear
to me as to what structures have to be loaded with the entry points.
From what I can tell, there is an inode structure and a file handler
structure that has the function entry points listed...however this
doesn't look consistent to me yet.

Can anybody tell me where my next step for researching is?  Kernel Core
Commentary?

Thanks in advance.

2. News groups

3. Writing a program to add a new user to /etc/passwd in sunos 4.1.3

4. max bomb segment tuning with read latency 2 patch in contest

5. Getting programs to recognize new GTK-1.2 on RH5.2 system

6. HP NetBeam IR driver for Linux ?

7. Question on writing c program implement cp function using UNIX system calls - read, write, etc.

8. comp.unix.admin

9. Need help writing C program using UNIX system calls (read, write, etc) that copies files

10. Converting old-style password file to new password/shadow file

11. password does not allow add a password for a new user with a Permission denied

12. Tools to change password without ask new password twice time.

13. Writing drawing program for Linux -- program behaving incorrectly