Easy Unix Prob (4 U guys)

Post by darius sutherla » Wed, 04 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I wonder if any of u unix gurus can help me with a small problemo...

I have a file with data as such :

9600012301FDTF02FTDT03FFTF04TFDD05TDFF06TTTT*

Using the unix tools such as awk, grep cmp, sed e.t.c i wish to seperate this
data into the format :

96000123
01FDTF
02FTDT
03FFTF
04TFDD
05TDFF
06TTTT

Thats basically it

If its not too much trouble another step would be to format the data as :

96000123
01 FF DF TT FF
02 FF TT DF TT
03 FF FT TT FF
04 TF FT DT DT
05 TF XF FT FF
06 TT TF TF FF

that would make my life soooo much easier.. If anyone has any solutions to
this please mail me or post to group

Thank You

Easy Unix Prob (4 U guys)

Post by Dave Littel » Wed, 04 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> I wonder if any of u unix gurus can help me with a small problemo...

...as in a small HOMEWORK problemo?

[obvious homework problem description deletia]

Quote:

> that would make my life soooo much easier.. If anyone has any solutions to
> this please mail me or post to group

Yeah, if someone did all my work for me my life would be "soooo much
easier" also.

How about this for a solution: figure it out yourself.

Dave

Easy Unix Prob (4 U guys)

Post by Tor Slettne » Wed, 04 Mar 1998 04:00:00

    darius> I wonder if any of u unix gurus can help me with a small
    darius> problemo...  I have a file with data as such :

I wonder, would faculty at Sheffield Hallam University know how to do
this?  Maybe you could ask them, in particular your computer science
instructor?

As a matter of fact, I'll ask them for you.  Off goes a mail...

-tor

Easy Unix Prob (4 U guys)

Post by Thorbj?rn Ravn Anderse » Thu, 05 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> I wonder if any of u unix gurus can help me with a small problemo...

> I have a file with data as such :

> 9600012301FDTF02FTDT03FFTF04TFDD05TDFF06TTTT*

> Using the unix tools such as awk, grep cmp, sed e.t.c i wish to seperate this
> data into the format :

man perlre

--
  Thorbj?rn Ravn Andersen      "...and...Tubular Bells!"
  http://www.mip.ou.dk

1. Easy Unix Prob (4 U Guys)

[...]

2. Trouble finding libXt.so.6

3. RH 6.0 Routing Prob

4. Easy Unix Problem (4 U Guys)

5. Tape Cartridge systems

6. Removing Linux and LILO

7. Easy Unix Prob

8. An easy question for you guys :-)

9. easy easy easy one

10. (DESPRATE) New guy on the block havin' probs with Lininst.exe and Win95

11. Guys,Guys BeOS For Linux Is Here !!