How to use the bootable floppy to restore the kernel ?

How to use the bootable floppy to restore the kernel ?

Post by Thomas Cho » Fri, 07 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hello all,

I have made the bootable floppy for emergency restore procedure. One of the
floppies has the file "boot.flp" and the other one with "fixit.flp". I have
tried to use the bootable floppy with "boot.flp" to boot up my machine. And
then I select the option which require the other floppy with "fixit.flp".
After that, I don't know how to do ? Can somebody help me  how to do the
rest steps so that I can recover my kernel ?

Best regards,

Thomas

How to use the bootable floppy to restore the kernel ?

Post by Mark W J Reddin » Fri, 07 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> I have made the bootable floppy for emergency restore procedure. One of the
> floppies has the file "boot.flp" and the other one with "fixit.flp". I have
> tried to use the bootable floppy with "boot.flp" to boot up my machine. And
> then I select the option which require the other floppy with "fixit.flp".
> After that, I don't know how to do ? Can somebody help me  how to do the
> rest steps so that I can recover my kernel ?

What is the problem you are having ? If it is that you have compiled a
new kernel which is broken, then you should be able to boot the previous
kernel by interrupting the boot process and selecting "boot
0:wd(0,a)/kernel.old" (assuming that you are using IDE and that you are
booting from wd0 (IDE0).

--

Mark W J Redding

How to use the bootable floppy to restore the kernel ?

Post by Thomas Cho » Sat, 08 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hello Mark,

The really thing I want to do is that I want to recover the FreeBSD box with
the original kernel.
Since I consider that the unix box can't boot up with the damaged kernel.
Thus I use the bootable floppy to boot it up and restore the original or the
old kernel from the hard disk. Is it necessary to mount the hard disk
partition again and then restore all the programs from the backup tape ? It
is because I want to draft the recovery procedure for the unix box in case
of the kernel will be damaged due to the hardware problem.

Anyway, Thanks for your kind attention.

Best regards,

Quote:

>> I have made the bootable floppy for emergency restore procedure. One of
the
>> floppies has the file "boot.flp" and the other one with "fixit.flp". I
have
>> tried to use the bootable floppy with "boot.flp" to boot up my machine.
And
>> then I select the option which require the other floppy with "fixit.flp".
>> After that, I don't know how to do ? Can somebody help me  how to do the
>> rest steps so that I can recover my kernel ?

>What is the problem you are having ? If it is that you have compiled a
>new kernel which is broken, then you should be able to boot the previous
>kernel by interrupting the boot process and selecting "boot
>0:wd(0,a)/kernel.old" (assuming that you are using IDE and that you are
>booting from wd0 (IDE0).

>--

>Mark W J Redding

1. bootable floppy 'emergency' restore util?

I've just been through the 'unexpected powerdown ==> trashed filesystem'
experience...everything was sensibly backup up (tar) on DAT, but it still
took about 4 hours to build (from my slackware CD) a new filesystem,
install a basic system, restore the tar into a subdir and copy the
relevant bits (mostly /etc and /usr/local) back where they belonged.

WHat would have REALLY been useful is some utility that would

- fit on a floppy with a minimal system

- do all the fdisk stuff (with suitable prompts if necessary) to redo the
partitions and swap

- restore a complete filesystem cf ufsdump on Sun, from DAT

...all of which would have taken about 30 minutes and left me *much* more
confident that everything was in the right place with the correct
permissions when I'd finished...

Does anything like this exist for linux?

Does the equivalent of ufsdump exist for Linux?

thanks

2. Dumb Question

3. Restoring system files using jumpstart from a flar image on a bootable DVD

4. Solaris 8 4/01 large file problem (sunpci issue)

5. Bootable Floppy bin image to bootable CD?

6. FreeBSD server for VPNs

7. Make a DOS bootable floppy-disk/image bootable from Linux?

8. p2c, Turbo Pascal Graph Unit

9. Bootable floppy different than bootable CD ROM for installation of RH 8.0?

10. Can I Install Caldera 2.3 using a floppy and a downloaded bootable CD?

11. Script to create bootable floppy image using genext2fs and grub without root

12. bootable floppy with kernel only

13. Making a bootable Linux floppy with root on the floppy