Strange self-reboot

Post by Sebastian Ramo » Thu, 17 May 2001 16:46:54

Hello

i am not sure if this already has been answered. i did not find any answer
on various newsgroups so i am sorry if so.

i noticed some strange self reboots on my machine running FreeBSD.4.2. i
treid to catch the process causing this but i failed because it never did it
again. Nothing suspicious in /var/log. Could it be heavy load ?
someone has an idea ?

thanks in advance

Sebastian ramos

Strange self-reboot

Post by Mike Andre » Thu, 17 May 2001 17:28:23

: Hello

: i am not sure if this already has been answered. i did not find any answer
: on various newsgroups so i am sorry if so.

: i noticed some strange self reboots on my machine running FreeBSD.4.2. i
: treid to catch the process causing this but i failed because it never did it
: again. Nothing suspicious in /var/log. Could it be heavy load ?
: someone has an idea ?

It could be a failing or overloaded power supply, an overheated
CPU, or flaky memory, for a start. Check your power supply
voltages (healthd may work for you if you have one of the chips
it's built for) and your CPU temperature (healthd again, if
you're lucky), and your fan speed (healthd again).

Make sure that the machine is clean, since dust and fluff will
interfere with cooling.

Have your memory tested, if you have a local store that can do
it.

Try running a make buildworld, to _really_ stress the system. It
will keep the CPU very busy, which will induce failures if you
have cooling or voltage problems.

--
0.  Spam is theft.
1.  Spammers lie.

Strange self-reboot

Post by Mar Loreto Apuhi » Fri, 01 Jun 2001 14:20:18

Check the hardware part. We lately experienced a problem in which one of our
server reboot by itself without any unusual critical messages in our logs. We
just found out that the CPU fan power was not attached to the power source port
possibly causing to hanged up the server. After it was properly setup, we don't
again experience problem.

--
-------------------------------+
Mar Loreto Apuhin

voice: (63 2) 910-2288 loc.4804
fax:   (63 2) 922-0051
PGP ID: 0xA9F262D7
-------------------------------+

1. Self-Reboot of Solairs 2.6 E3500 server

Hi,

    We have a E3500 server with a A5000 disk array connected to it.
It's running Solairs 2.6. Lately, the machine has been brought to
"ok" prompt on its onw for unknown reason.  I did not see any crash core
dump or  errors in /var/adm/messages. The file systems space and memory
are fine.
    Our root disk is mirrored via DiskSuite v4.2 and we run
Veritas File System v3.3.1 for the rest of file systems.
    Since the machine is located at another part of the country, it's
not easy to pinpoint whether this is man-made or machine related.
    The server has 2G memory and over 4G swap.

    The problem was reported by our Oracle DBA who was doing an "import"
of an Oracle export file.  It's usually a four-hour task.  The
system shutdown on its own during the third hour.

    Has anyone experienced this before??  What should I capture before
it happened again ??  Any suggestions on how to prevent this from
happening again.

Thanks,

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. .forward file

3. Generally what is the reason of system down & do self-rebooting?

4. mouse pointer offset to the right

5. 2.6 Sys reboots it self

6. Agpgart module

7. odd self-reboots / lockups

8. /etc/rc.syscons {vidcontrol green black}

9. machine rebooting self

10. Clock loses time after reboot, but fixes self

11. Strange BIOS-self-reset and IRQ-conflicts

12. reboot error reboot error reboot error

13. Compaq 6000 reboots and reboots and reboots