How do I do subdomains?

Post by *Wal » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Sorry, I posted that message (Re: Can I manage a friends Class C IP on my
server?) from ReMarQ, I didn't realise how old the messages were.

I should have started a new subject.

So...

I am about to start using a dedicated server running freeBSD.

I am thinking about running a lot of subdomains.

If I just point all these subdomains at an IP address assigned to
my server, how do I set up the server to handle them correctly?

I am new to this, so I hope I understand your answer, and TIA.

W.

How do I do subdomains?

Post by *Wal » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Actually...

I should think before I post these darned things -

I really should have asked about virtual hosting, as the fact that they are
subdomains doesn't, I think, matter(?)

I really want to know how to point a bunch of names at the same IP address,
and have each one go to its own page/folder.

I am new at this, so, sorry if I wasn't being/am not being entirely clear.

(Also, I am handicapped by having been born with a pea-sized brain...)

W.

Quote:

> So...

> I am about to start using a dedicated server running freeBSD.

> I am thinking about running a lot of subdomains.

> If I just point all these subdomains at an IP address assigned to
> my server, how do I set up the server to handle them correctly?

> I am new to this, so I hope I understand your answer, and TIA.

> W.

How do I do subdomains?

Post by Miguel Cr » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> I really want to know how to point a bunch of names at the same IP address,

In the DNS, set up a bunch of names pointing at the same IP address.

Quote:> and have each one go to its own page/folder.

In your web server configuration, set it up so that each host name is
associated with a different virtual host. If you are using Apache, the
documentation at www.apache.org is an excellent place to start.
comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix is probably a good next step.

miguel

How do I do subdomains?

Post by J Wuns » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> I really want to know how to point a bunch of names at the same IP
> address, and have each one go to its own page/folder.

Host don't go into folders, usually, they rather sit in server
rooms. :-))

If what you mean is a virtual HTTP server for different names that are
known by the same IP address, in the DNS configuration you need to
setup CNAME records (i. e., DNS aliases) that point all to the same
canonical (`master') hostname.  E. g., if your HTTP server's canonical
hostname is `www.foobar.com', and you want to create a virtual host
for `www.mumble.org', you need to setup a DNS zone file for mumble.org
containing (among the usual stuff on top of the file):

www             IN      CNAME   www.foobar.com.

In the HTTP server setup on www.foobar.com, you need to tell the
server about www.mumble.org so it can tell them apart.  Read the HTTP
server docs on how to do that (i don't know it offhand).  The way it
works is that the browser then looks up www.mumble.org, finds the
pointer to www.foobar.com, looks up the address for www.foobar.com,
connects to that address, and formulates the request which is
accompanied by an HTTP request header of `Host: www.mumble.org'.  The
HTTP server then evaluates the headers and knows that he's supposed to
get out the information for www.mumble.org, as opposed to its default
information.

--
cheers, J"org  /  73 de DL8DTL

HI there,

In about march we should be getting a second PC in our house. I was
concidering trying to network the two machines. One of the machines
is going to be a DOS/Windows affair while the other one is hoping
to become a DOS and Linux setup. I have a few questions that I hope
that someone out there can answer. (The kind of network I'm concid-
ering is peer-to-peer, I think)

1) Using Novell Netware light on the DOS/Windows machine, could it
connect to the Linux machine using standard networking stuff? Would
I be able to have netware on my DOS partition of my Linux/DOS machine
so that when I boot it up using DOS I'm still connected?

2) If I were using the Linux front end for DOOM, could I still play
a multiplayer game across the network? Or would I have to go back to
DOS?

3) Just out of curiosity, could anyone give me info on cost. I've
got a home made estimate (made from various sources) of :

Cabling (roughly)                               :20
                                                ----
Total                                           136

This is a rough estimate, if anyone can confirm or deny this value
please set me straight.

Answers would be much appersiated as it will influence my decision
as to weather to get the network and/or to get Linux.

TTFN and TC, Michael Dales

-'Damn you and your networking problems Q!'-Picard

2. Symboliic Debuggers

3. accessing dos partitions with wd7000fasst scsi, isc unix 2.2, dos[345]

4. preconnected file descriptors

5. Uninstall Linux: Deleted "non dos partition" with DOS fdisk -- Now what?!?

6. still LILO and the 1024 cylinders limit ...

7. Samba w/ DOS box - what does DOS need?

8. GCC-2.7.2.1 and Linux-2.0.23

9. Can I boot from DOS to use DOS Device Drivers?

10. Mini Linux coexists in DOS partition and boot from DOS

11. Q: Filenames turnicated DOS to LINUX to DOS?

12. DEFBOOTSTR=dos should this allow dos to boot by default?

13. copying files from unix to dos system in dos readable format