is this compaq config compatible with fbsd 3.3?

is this compaq config compatible with fbsd 3.3?

Post by Neb » Wed, 29 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I have seen in the release note of fbsd 3.3 that it supports the Compaq
Smart Raid family of RAID controllers. I think this possibility is very
interesting. So, would fbsd runs on this config?

System Configuration

Compaq ProLiant 1850R
Intel? Pentium? III processor 500MHz

128MB 100MHz ECC SDRAM Standard
Integrated Wide Ultra SCSI Controller
Compaq Smart Array 221 Controller
9.1GB Pluggable Universal Ultra2 SCSI Hard Drive(1")
9.1GB Pluggable Universal Ultra2 SCSI Hard Drive(1")
9.1GB Pluggable Universal Ultra2 SCSI Hard Drive(1")
1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive Included
24X MAX CD ROM Drive
SmartStart & Compaq Insight Manager
Compaq 10/100 TX UTP (Embedded) Included
12/24GB DDS-3 DAT Drive - Internal
Compaq Hot Plug Redundant Power Supply
Compaq 3-Year Limited Warranty

Especially with the Compaq Smart Array 221 Controller and the Compaq
10/100 TX UTP (Embedded)?

Thanks!
Ben

Post by Bruce Burd » Thu, 30 Sep 1999 04:00:00

: Hello,

: I have seen in the release note of fbsd 3.3 that it supports the Compaq
: Smart Raid family of RAID controllers. I think this possibility is very
: interesting. So, would fbsd runs on this config?
:
        I understand there is a boot issue with RAID boxes, so I
   don't believe you will be able to boot off of the RAID box.
   The issue is that the boot device needs to be "da" or "wd"
   (SCSI disk or IDE disk) to work correctly. I have seen some
   traffic on the -CURRENT mailing list to the effect the change
   has prooven to be non-trivial.

                                                        Bruce
  "I like bad!"                               Bruce Burden    Austin, TX.
        - Thuganlitha
        The Power and the Prophet
        Robert Don Hughes

1. User ppp + alias issue in fbsd 3.3

I have a gateway machine ( ed0 on LAN and tun0 for ppp connection)
and a couple of other non gateway machines on the ethernet (typical).

Using user ppp with aliasing turned on ( ppp -alias or ppp -nat) the
gateway machine does route ethernet frames but only after I manually
place an arp entry pointing to the gateway machine on the non gateway
machines.

I have tried 'proxy' and 'proxyall' but can't get the gateway to reply
to the arp
broadcast. Watching with tcpdump. What setting on the gateway machine
generates the proxy arp reply ?

FBSD v3.3

--
---------------------------------------
Craig G. Andersen

---------------------------------------

2. Linux with HP hardware.

3. CivCTP (lokigame) on fbsd 4.2 fails, works on 3.3

4. SuSE 5.2 > 6.0, PPP ok for root, not user. Permissions?

5. xlockmore 4-14 wont compile with FBSD 3.3/XFree 335

6. Sparc CPU Performance

7. Monobit icons in Netscape 4.7/FBSD 3.3 on Toshiba 310CDS

8. SPEC1170 and / or POSIX.4 - does RedHat conform ?

9. fbsd 3.3 install hangs

10. Can't install FBSD 3.3 with Promise Ultra33 IDE

11. xpaint on fbsd 3.3

12. Help: Intel Ether Express Pro/i960 on FBSD 3.3

13. FBSD 2.2.6 vs. 3.3 vs BSDI/OS