init: can't exec getty 'perl' for port /dev/cuaa0

init: can't exec getty 'perl' for port /dev/cuaa0

Post by Boris Zay » Sun, 19 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hiya's,

I've written a perl script which detects if pppd is down - it's run
via Cron every minute. It checks to see if pppd is a running process,
if not the script runs $system("/usr/sbin/pppd") and kicks the link
back into place.

While the script works A-OK, it refuses to work correctly under Cron.

Quote:>init: can't exec getty 'perl' for port /dev/cuaa0: No such file or directory
># ls -l /dev/cuaa0
>crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer   28, 128 Jul 17 19:14 /dev/cuaa0

Strange how it refuses to work via Cron.

If anyone give me a few pointers to why it's dead, i'd really
appreciate it!

init: can't exec getty 'perl' for port /dev/cuaa0

Post by Michael E. Jaskowia » Sun, 19 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I had a similar problem with a shell script that was supposed to mount a zip
drive and copy some files to it for backup purposes.  The copy part worked OK,
but it just copied the files to the /zip directory, which is the mount point, and
not to the media.  The problem turned out to be a path issue.  I was giving the
command /mount /zip, but when I changed it to /sbin/mount /zip, it worked great.
Good luck.

Michael

> Hiya's,

> I've written a perl script which detects if pppd is down - it's run
> via Cron every minute. It checks to see if pppd is a running process,
> if not the script runs $system("/usr/sbin/pppd") and kicks the link
> back into place.

> While the script works A-OK, it refuses to work correctly under Cron.

> >init: can't exec getty 'perl' for port /dev/cuaa0: No such file or directory
> ># ls -l /dev/cuaa0
> >crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer   28, 128 Jul 17 19:14 /dev/cuaa0

> Strange how it refuses to work via Cron.

> If anyone give me a few pointers to why it's dead, i'd really
> appreciate it!

1. init: can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port /dev/ttyv0:

In my new job, I have inherited a FreeBSD Box. To physically check out
some hardware I performed a Shutdown (can't remember the exact arguments
used now).

At restart, kernel processing appears to proceed without problems, until
the system somewhere during init, it apparently can't find getty. A
typical error report line looks like:
Jan 16 23:58:13 init: can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port
/dev/ttyv0: No such file or directory
From this point, every 30 seconds the system constantly attempts to
execute getty.

And I can't get any response past this point. No keystrokes seem to do
anything, no tty devs of any kind seem to be in place. I can't RCMD from
another box anywhere.

I can reboot to a startup floppy (made with the boot.flp using fdimage),
but as the prblem seems to be a missing file (getty) I can;t get much
further.

I can get to the holographic tty4, but can't do much there either.

I can restart in single user mode, but that puts the system into
read-only mode and so I can't even see the /usr directory and files.

Any help appreciated......

2. How to attach telnet to a process?

3. init: can't exec getty 'none' ...

4. SSL for TCP communication?

5. Need 'exec.h' file or 'struct exec' definition

6. chown of dos partition

7. "init: can't exec getty" errors...

8. RH6.2 and Intel EtherExpress TP16 NIC Problem

9. After new 4.5 install - init: can't exec getty

10. Dev's Dev's Dev's

11. LinuxPPC99: 'INIT: ld ''x'' respawning too fast...'??

12. **URGENT HELP Wanted 'init: exec failed' **

13. Initiating application from 'getty', not 'login'?