Newbie question about installation FreeBSD 4.2

Newbie question about installation FreeBSD 4.2

Post by NDQ » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 18:06:55

Hi,
I'm newbie with FreeBSD. I would like to install 4.2 on my old
486DX2/66/16MB ram (with CD 8x driver). It's OK for this hardware ? I
use console mode only because I don't think I can install X-window with
this PC, right ?

Thanks for your help.
--
NGUYEN-DAI Quy

Newbie question about installation FreeBSD 4.2

Post by Benoit BERTRAN » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 18:31:48

Of course this is OK!!!!

FreeBSD can run on a 386 with 4Mb of ram...

you could even use X but it depend on the use of your machine... i used in
on a 12'' with a 1Mb video card... but it was just for a try...

Quote:> Hi,
> I'm newbie with FreeBSD. I would like to install 4.2 on my old
> 486DX2/66/16MB ram (with CD 8x driver). It's OK for this hardware ? I
> use console mode only because I don't think I can install X-window with
> this PC, right ?

> Thanks for your help.
> --
> NGUYEN-DAI Quy

1. Newbie FreeBSD 4.2 Questions

Hello. I've just installed FreeBSD 4.2 and am very new to BSD, but a
somewhat experienced Linux user. Two quick questions:

1. Where do I need to change it so that I can SSH into my box remotely and
su as root. Neither telnet or SSH is providing me that capability so far.

2. How do I enables colors in my directory listing? (ie. ls --color doesn't
work)

Thank you.

-Brenden Bixler

2. reverse ipv6 dns lookup in a script, using, for example, /usr/bin/host utility ?

3. installation of freeBSD 4.2

4. /etc/pam.d/xlock problem

5. FreeBSD 4.2/4.3 Installation saga!!

6. Linux Swap space question

7. Newbie: RH 4.2 Installation Problem

8. Sendmail and Named

9. Newbie - 1.1.2 -> 2.1 on FreeBSD 4.2-Release

10. Newbie installing X 4.1 on FreeBSD 4.2

11. Newbie installing JDK 1.31 on FreeBSD 4.2

12. Red Hat 4.2 Installation Question

13. Installation Question - RedHat Linux 4.2