how to use Java plugin with Netscape von FreeBSD?

how to use Java plugin with Netscape von FreeBSD?

Post by Georg Schwa » Sun, 24 Feb 2002 21:50:48

How can I use the (Linux) Java Plugin with Netscape 4.7.9 on FreeBSD 4.5?
The following packages are installed:

linux-jdk-1.3.1.02_1
linux-netscape-navigator-4.79

Nevertheless, Netscape seems to ignore the Java plugin.
--
Georg Schwarz    http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/

Post by Philip Paep » Sun, 24 Feb 2002 22:53:31

> How can I use the (Linux) Java Plugin with Netscape 4.7.9 on FreeBSD 4.5?
> The following packages are installed:
> linux-jdk-1.3.1.02_1
> linux-netscape-navigator-4.79

For Linux netscape you need the Linux Java plugin.  You should symlink it into
the Netscape plugin directory.  It is usually found in
/usr/local/linux-jdk1.3.1/jre/plugin/i386/ns4.

Quote:> Nevertheless, Netscape seems to ignore the Java plugin.

It needs to be able to find it first.

 - Philip

--

  Trial balances don't.

how to use Java plugin with Netscape von FreeBSD?

Post by Simon Barne » Sun, 24 Feb 2002 22:28:39

Hello Georg,

Quote:> How can I use the (Linux) Java Plugin with Netscape 4.7.9 on FreeBSD 4.5?
> The following packages are installed:

> linux-jdk-1.3.1.02_1
> linux-netscape-navigator-4.79

As root:
ln -s /usr/local/linux-jdk1.3.1/jre/plugin/i386/ns4/javaplugin.so
 /usr/local/lib/netscape-linux/plugins/

But why do you want to do do this: AFAIK netscape has its own java (although I
don't why version, and wether disabling the build-in java will prevent the
plugin java from working.
And, I can't tell you wheter netscape will work with two javas installed
(although it does start).

Simon

Post by Georg Schwa » Mon, 25 Feb 2002 21:51:58

>As root:
>ln -s /usr/local/linux-jdk1.3.1/jre/plugin/i386/ns4/javaplugin.so
> /usr/local/lib/netscape-linux/plugins/

Did you actually try that? I had, and it hadn't worked.

2001, which still seems to be true for 4.5 as well)
--

Post by Mr Lov » Mon, 25 Feb 2002 23:31:34

>>As root:
>>ln -s /usr/local/linux-jdk1.3.1/jre/plugin/i386/ns4/javaplugin.so
>>/usr/local/lib/netscape-linux/plugins/

> Did you actually try that? I had, and it hadn't worked.

> 2001, which still seems to be true for 4.5 as well)

For me it's working if i use netscape as root, while when i use X as non
root the java machine crashes.

Post by Georg Schwa » Wed, 27 Feb 2002 02:03:22

>For me it's working if i use netscape as root, while when i use X as non
>root the java machine crashes.

Form me, running eveything as root, the Netscape complains that exec of
/usr/local/bin/i386/lative_threads/java_vm has failed (no wonder, that
path does not exist) or the Java VM process has died.

--

Post by Philip Paep » Wed, 27 Feb 2002 02:22:55

>>For me it's working if i use netscape as root, while when i use X as non
>>root the java machine crashes.
> Form me, running eveything as root, the Netscape complains that exec of

           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Might I ask why you are doing this?  You should not be using root for anything
other than systems administration tasks.  Any actual 'working' should be done
as a normal user to prevent 'accidents' (rm -rf /*; oops).

Quote:> /usr/local/bin/i386/lative_threads/java_vm has failed (no wonder, that
> path does not exist) or the Java VM process has died.

If this is a Linux Netscape, you should put the Linux Java plugin somewhere
where Netscape can find it (like the plugins directory).

 - Philip

--

  Any child who chatters non-stop at home will adamantly
  refuse to utter a word when requested to demonstrate