Changing the default color depth in X ?

Post by Matthew Crav » Thu, 20 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi ,

>Anyone know what stupid newbie type mistake I'm making when I try to
>change the color depth in X from 8 bpp to 16 bpp ? It works fine with X

I did this with the "DefaultColorDepth" setting in my XF86Config. The
relevant chunk of /etc/XF86Config looks like this:

    Section "Screen"
        Driver            "svga"
        Device            "Toshiba 205CDS Video"
        Monitor           "Toshiba 205CDS LCD"
        DefaultColorDepth 16

        Subsection "Display"
            Depth       16
            Modes       "800x600" "640x480"
            ViewPort    0 0
            Visual      "TrueColor"
        EndSubsection
    EndSection

This seems to work fine.

Hope this helps.

/MC

--
Matthew Cravit, N9VWG               | Experience is what allows you to

Post by Allan Housto » Thu, 20 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hi ,

Anyone know what stupid newbie type mistake I'm making when I try to
change the color depth in X from 8 bpp to 16 bpp ? It works fine with X
-bpp 16 , but I'm battling to integrate that with xinit. Is there
anything I can stick in my .xinitrc file ? The man page also refers to
the .xserverrc file , but it never gets past that when I run xinit ,
i.e. stops before loading afterstep.

Any help would be _greatly_ appreciated.

Thanks,
Allan.

Post by Simon Ok » Thu, 20 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> Anyone know what stupid newbie type mistake I'm making when I try to
> change the color depth in X from 8 bpp to 16 bpp ? It works fine with X
> -bpp 16 , but I'm battling to integrate that with xinit. Is there
> anything I can stick in my .xinitrc file ? The man page also refers to
> the .xserverrc file , but it never gets past that when I run xinit ,
> i.e. stops before loading afterstep.

My .xserverrc contains the following:

exec X :0 -bpp 16

Hope this helps,
Simon.

Post by Serge S. Maleye » Thu, 20 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> Hi ,

> Anyone know what stupid newbie type mistake I'm making when I try to
> change the color depth in X from 8 bpp to 16 bpp ? It works fine with X
> -bpp 16 , but I'm battling to integrate that with xinit. Is there
> anything I can stick in my .xinitrc file ? The man page also refers to
> the .xserverrc file , but it never gets past that when I run xinit ,
> i.e. stops before loading afterstep.

> Any help would be _greatly_ appreciated.

> Thanks,
> Allan.

try     xinit -- -bpp 16
or make an alias

Serge
--

UNIX System Administrator            Academic Computing and Networking
624 Engineering Bldg., 15 Gillson Str., The U[niversity] of M[anitoba]

Post by Edward Thorde » Fri, 21 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> Hi ,

> Anyone know what stupid newbie type mistake I'm making when I try to
> change the color depth in X from 8 bpp to 16 bpp ? It works fine with X
> -bpp 16 , but I'm battling to integrate that with xinit. Is there
> anything I can stick in my .xinitrc file ? The man page also refers to
> the .xserverrc file , but it never gets past that when I run xinit ,
> i.e. stops before loading afterstep.

> Any help would be _greatly_ appreciated.

> Thanks,
> Allan.

  Try: startx -- -bpp nn where nn is 16 24 and so on.

1. Changing default color depth.

I am trying to get to 16-bit or 24-bit color in XWindows.  I tried
commenting out the 8-bit screen section in the XF86Config file, and on
startup it said it could not find the 8-bit color display and something
about that being the default mode.  How can I change the default mode to
16 or 24 bits?  Is there a file somewhere I missed?

-Tom

2. AVM B1 PCI failed to load modules

3. Changing Default Color Depth in RH 6

4. balise for Linux fail on FreeBSD

5. Changing the default color depth...

6. transfer process to another TTY

7. Changing Default Color Depth w/ RH 6.0

8. pppd using null modem

9. Changing Default X Color Depth w/3DFX

10. Changing Default Color Depth in RH 6

11. Default colour depth in Xfree86..how to change when X starts automatically at boot?

12. Question: How to change color depth (number of colors) on Solaris 8?

13. Default Color Depth