Informix & FreeBSD - anyone done it

Post by Darren Edgerto » Wed, 27 Mar 1996 04:00:00

gidday,

im intending to install FreeBSD on my PC this coming weekend, for three
reasons
        1. i want/need a unix OS
        2. FreeBSD seems to be the better option over Linux
        3. i want to run an Informix V5.x database

Question ?
Has anyone installed an Informix DB on FreeBSD before ?
If so pls let me know any tricks etc that will ensure a successfull
installation.

i have heard that FreeBSD is SCO compatible, is this so ?
if so, is all i need a version of Informix ported for SCO ?

thanks in advance
Darren Edgerton

Post by Christoff Snijder » Sat, 30 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> gidday,

> im intending to install FreeBSD on my PC this coming weekend, for three
> reasons
>         1. i want/need a unix OS
>         2. FreeBSD seems to be the better option over Linux
>         3. i want to run an Informix V5.x database

> Question ?
> Has anyone installed an Informix DB on FreeBSD before ?
> If so pls let me know any tricks etc that will ensure a successfull
> installation.

> i have heard that FreeBSD is SCO compatible, is this so ?
> if so, is all i need a version of Informix ported for SCO ?

> thanks in advance
> Darren Edgerton

I e-mailed Informix about exactly this question.  Here's the
correspondence:

My original message to Informix:

 Subject: You're Product information Item # 826827371

 Name:                         Christoff Snijders

 *************************
 `Information about Informix products` Thu Mar 14 10:16:11 PST 1996

 I am running BSD UNIX on an Intel 120MHz
 single-processor Pentium system.  I was wondering
 whether Informix-SE would run under BSD 4.4 Lite
 (a.k.a. FreeBSD--to my knowledge System V and
 POSIX-compliant), and, if so, what the cost of
 purchasing a two-user version (for development
 purposes).  I would also require Informix-ESQL
 for C and C++.

 Thank you for your attention.

 Christoff Snijders.

 *************************

Informix's Reply:

        Re: Informix WWW Server comments
  Date:
        Fri, 15 Mar 96 10:23:23 CST

    CC:

Finders)

Dear Christoff,

Informix does not support BSD UNIX.  Informix-SE is available on other
flavors of UNIX, including SCO, Unixware, Solaris X86, in addition to
Windows 3.1 and NT 3.5.

Thanks for your interest in Informix.
Elan Lantz, Marketing Response Group, Lenexa KS

Post by Terry Lamber » Fri, 05 Apr 1996 04:00:00

]
] > Question ?
] > Has anyone installed an Informix DB on FreeBSD before ?
] > If so pls let me know any tricks etc that will ensure a successfull
] > installation.
] >
] > i have heard that FreeBSD is SCO compatible, is this so ?
] > if so, is all i need a version of Informix ported for SCO ?
]
] I e-mailed Informix about exactly this question.  Here's the
] correspondence:

[ ... and Informix responds ... ]

] Subject:
]         Re: Informix WWW Server comments
]   Date:
]         Fri, 15 Mar 96 10:23:23 CST
]   From:

]     To:

]     CC:

] Finders)
]
]
] Dear Christoff,
]
] Informix does not support BSD UNIX.  Informix-SE is available on other
] flavors of UNIX, including SCO, Unixware, Solaris X86, in addition to
] Windows 3.1 and NT 3.5.
]
] Thanks for your interest in Informix.
] Elan Lantz, Marketing Response Group, Lenexa KS

"Does not support" is not equal to "will not run".

I have installed SCO (SVR3 IBCS2) Informix on a FreeBSD system
and run it.

This was on the initial release of the IBCS2 code, and required
a lot of work to install, mostly because IBCS2 is supposed to
imply install tools, as well as execution environment.

I have also installed and run:

SVR3 (AT&T/NCR OEM release) Lotus 1-2-3
SVR3 (AT&T/NCR OEM release) Text mode WordPerfect 4.2
SVR3 (sold for SVR4; IBCS2 version) Sybase

I used the Sybase system over the network from SVR3, FreeBSD
(running SVR3 code) and NeXTStep (68030/68040/x86) clients
to run a local mirror of the Human Genome Project database
(which requires a Sybase server).

People have reported Success with WordPerfect 5.x for SCO
(X windows version), and numerous other applications.

Sean Eric Fagan has reported the ability to run the full
SCO developement softwar environment in a chroot'ed partition,
using a FreeBSD kernel.

Needless to say, I think the ABI support (which in -current
can even run Linux ELF binaries sufficient to run Mathematica
and Linux "Quake") is quite good.

                                        Terry Lambert

---
or previous employers.

1. Anyone running Informix 4GL/SE on Linux or FreeBSD?

Subject: Re: Anyone running Informix 4GL/SE on Linux or FreeBSD?
Date: 11 Mar 1996 18:22:54 GMT

Fair enough, but then you are basically creating a complete SCO
development setup on a FreeBSD box, which requires that you have a SCO
developement license in order to get all of the necessary libraries and
include files.  It's *much* easier just to install SCO on a separate
partition to do the development.

Plus all of the necessary include files and such.

Nate

--

Operations

of
work #: (406) 449-7662 | Montana.
home #: (406) 443-7063 | A fly pole and a 4x4 Chevy truck = Heaven on
Earth

2. Memory Leak detector

3. NIS support for Linux ...

4. PERL && mod_perl && FreeBSD && Apache

5. Compiling C++ code in LINUX; can't do it

6. FreeBSD + NT-- anyone done it?

7. help : looking for boot tape

8. Anyone doing real-time analog/digital on FreeBSD?

9. I MUST have a Floppy (yech) FreeBSD install --- anyone ever done one?

10. Windows Apps in X on FreeBSD - anyone doing it?

11. EIDE & FreeBSD; Windows NT 3.51 & FreeBSD.

12. AIX & FreeBSD........ anyone?