Locating Routers

Post by David Turne » Mon, 24 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Does anyone know how to locate the routers on a network and for that
matter all the machines on a network?

                                        Thanks, Dave Turner

Locating Routers

Post by Jerry Hick » Tue, 25 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> Does anyone know how to locate the routers on a network and for that
> matter all the machines on a network?

>                                         Thanks, Dave Turner

We use scotty/tkined around here, it has a 'discovery' function.

Good Luck,

Jerry Hicks

Locating Routers

Post by J Wuns » Tue, 25 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> Does anyone know how to locate the routers on a network and for that
> matter all the machines on a network?

routers: watch RIP, or RDISC (router discovery protocol)
all machines: ping the broadcast address; Winloose machines won't
respond, so well, ping each of the addresses in sequence. ;-)

--
cheers, J"org

Locating Routers

Post by Tony Griffith » Fri, 28 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> Does anyone know how to locate the routers on a network and for that
> matter all the machines on a network?

>                                         Thanks, Dave Turner

(1)  Start at some central point in the network
(2)  Follow wire to end...  Look at what is there!
(3)  Select next wire
(4)  Repeat from (2)            ;-))

Failing the above, buy a very expensive package like Netview(tm), a
beefy Pentium/WNT system to run it on, and sit back while it tries
to figure out your network.  Hopefully it has 'improved' since I last
tried to use it when it kept telling me that DECrouter-90s (a CISCO 25xx
clone) were actually "Terminal Servers" rather than routers.

In fact it is a non-trivial exercise to figure this out electronically
simply by MIB probing and looking at Ethernet packets to see what OUI
(Organisation Unique Identifier) is being used.

Tony

Locating Routers

Post by Tim Whi » Sat, 29 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>> Does anyone know how to locate the routers on a network and for that
>> matter all the machines on a network?

>Failing the above, buy a very expensive package like Netview(tm), a
>beefy Pentium/WNT system to run it on, and sit back while it tries
>to figure out your network.  Hopefully it has 'improved' since I last
>tried to use it when it kept telling me that DECrouter-90s (a CISCO 25xx
>clone) were actually "Terminal Servers" rather than routers.

>In fact it is a non-trivial exercise to figure this out electronically
>simply by MIB probing and looking at Ethernet packets to see what OUI
>(Organisation Unique Identifier) is being used.

   Or use Scotty/TKined( see the ports collection ). Dunno if your Dec-
 routers will be misidentified or not but you can easily install Scotty
 for free in seconds... Scotty seemed to accurately find every router
 between my source and destination in 10 seconds. About 15 routers.
 As I recall it says something like 'querying router for netmask' for each
 router it identified. And we used poor old FreeBSD and a 486/66 to start
 with.... There may be some scale dicsussions in the Scotty/Tkined white
 papers or mailing list archives to help you discover how big an engine you
 need. Scotty  is a free tool to allow graphic monitoring of snmp  variables
 on a host..and of course you can diagram your networks with it.

Tim White                       Open Systems Administrative Services

(803)-561-6464                  Columbia, SC 29211

Remove the X's to email.

1. can't locate my router !

Hi all,

        I have installed Solaris 8 on my network, and there have a sercomm
IP5020 broadband router, when I try to ping the router from Solaris, I have
get an error message "no answer from router", but when I used the other
machine such as Linux, Windows to ping to the router, they are both success
to locate it, and Solaris also get success when I try to ping other machine
from Solaris. Could anyone know what's up in there ?

Thanks for all of your kindly attention and help

Karl

2. LinuxPPC and g++

3. PROCESS:kerbd: could not be located + PROCESS:lpNet: could not be located

4. XChat - Unix/X-Windows Freeware

5. Why is OpenBSD's locate update beating FreeBSD's locate update speed?

6. Account Expiration Notice

7. Linux/Win2K Server As A Router vs. Linksys Router (BEFSR41)

8. ioctl problem..

9. SnapGear firewall, ADSL router and backup ISDN router

10. 1 Router or config hosts as routers

11. linux router Vs Linksys Router

12. Webserver behind provider router /local router

13. Linux setup as IPX router and TCP/IP router??