How to connect PPPD & Win95 DUN via Null Modem

How to connect PPPD & Win95 DUN via Null Modem

Post by Nigel Gor » Sat, 16 Aug 1997 04:00:00

I apologize for being a bit off topic, but the Win newsgroups don't seem to
have the technical expertise found here :)

Does anyone know of how to get Win95 DUN to connect via a Null Modem to PPPD?

I'm running Win95 (osr2) on a laptop and am trying to connect to
my FreeBSD 2.2.1 using PPPD.

At present I have to connect a modem to the Laptop, go through all the modem
handshaking, then unplug the modem and quickly plug in the Null Modem - and
then it works....

I was wondering if anyone knew of a Null Modem driver for Win95, or should I
give up and write a script to make the PPPD pretend to do the modem
handshaking?

Thanks

Nigel

-----
Nigel Gorry
System Administrator
Zed.Net ISP, Radio 4KZ & Kool-FM
Innisfail, Queensland, Australia                   http://www.4kz.com.au/

How to connect PPPD & Win95 DUN via Null Modem

Post by Mikhail Teter » Sat, 16 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Honorable Nigel Gorry

=I apologize for being a bit off topic, but the Win newsgroups don't seem to
=have the technical expertise found here :)
[...]
=Nigel Gorry
=System Administrator
[...]

Sorry, did not you know, that sysadmins are not allowed to use
Windoz? Don't even try to hide, the special squad has already been
dispatched.

Seriously, I recall mentioning of Null-modem somewhere under the
Networking icon in Control Panel. Try using Visual Grep++ to find
it. :) Or look in the "Reference for the Rest of Them"...

        -mi

--
        "Windows for dummies"

Post by Scott Mitchel » Sat, 16 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> I apologize for being a bit off topic, but the Win newsgroups don't seem to
> have the technical expertise found here :)

> Does anyone know of how to get Win95 DUN to connect via a Null Modem to PPPD?

> I'm running Win95 (osr2) on a laptop and am trying to connect to
> my FreeBSD 2.2.1 using PPPD.

> At present I have to connect a modem to the Laptop, go through all the modem
> handshaking, then unplug the modem and quickly plug in the Null Modem - and
> then it works....

> I was wondering if anyone knew of a Null Modem driver for Win95, or should I
> give up and write a script to make the PPPD pretend to do the modem
> handshaking?

> Thanks

> Nigel

You can download a Win95 null modem driver from
http://www.vt.edu:10021/K/kewells/net/

This is working quite well for me.  Does your cable have all of the modem
control lines wired up?  I initially tried to get things working with a 3-wire
cable I had lying around, without much success.  Everything is funky with the
7-wire cable.

Cheers,

        Scott
Scott Mitchell          | PGP Key ID |"If I can't have my coffee, I'm just

QMW College, London, UK |            |     -- J. S. Bach.

How to connect PPPD & Win95 DUN via Null Modem

Post by Ricardo Cueva » Tue, 19 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I was wondering if anyone knew of a Null Modem driver for Win95, or
should I
> give up and write a script to make the PPPD pretend to do the modem
> handshaking?

I have one driver for null-modem, if you want, i can send you.

Sorry by my english.

1. Connecting Win95 to Linux server via null modem

Hello!
I would like to connect Win95 and Linux machines using TCP/IP over
null modem.  I've looked through Text Terminal HOWTO, Serial HOWTO,
NET-4-HOWTO and still doesn't understand what software needs to be
installed on Win95 and Linux.  Should I use sliplogin or mgetty on
Linux?
I would be grateful if someone will point me the right direction.
Eugene

--

2. [2.5] kbuild-2.5:

3. Win95 -> Linux via null-modem .... help!

4. DVB

5. Win95 to Linux network via null modem cable?

6. Can't seem to find source for if_ether.c

7. Win95 ppp via null-modem!

8. Log Questions

9. Win95<->Linux via null modem

10. Linux/Win95 to Linux Box Via Null-Modem, then to Internet

11. AIX pppd w/Win95 DUN client

12. Connect via LAN vs. Connect via modem headache

13. Connect Win95 and Linux 2.x with null-modem cable