Printing, apsfilter & samba & brother hl-1240

Printing, apsfilter & samba & brother hl-1240

Post by Steve Malinsk » Tue, 16 Jul 2002 01:30:34

I have a couple of printing questions. I tried comp.lang.postscript on the
first but got no answer.

I have a Brother HL-1240 printer directly attached on LPT1. apsfilter seems
to think there should be a driver for it but that ghostscript is not
configured for it. But then I can't find any such driver available for
ghostscript. Anyone know where it might be?

And then I have a Deskjet on another system that I'm trying to access from
FreeBSD. I can print to it from samba without apsfilter (but it doesn't come
out right of course). I can also configure apsfilter for it (say as LPT1).
But both filters go onto the "if" entry in /etc/printcap. How do I combine
them so apsfilter gets the print job first and then samba? Pipe doesn't seem
to work. I suppose I could just write a script which combines then.

-sm

Printing, apsfilter & samba & brother hl-1240

Post by Lee Har » Tue, 16 Jul 2002 05:41:08

Quote:> And then I have a Deskjet on another system that I'm trying to access from
> FreeBSD. I can print to it from samba without apsfilter (but it doesn't come
> out right of course). I can also configure apsfilter for it (say as LPT1).
> But both filters go onto the "if" entry in /etc/printcap. How do I combine
> them so apsfilter gets the print job first and then samba? Pipe doesn't seem
> to work. I suppose I could just write a script which combines then.

Did you try using apsfilter to configure the remote printer w/samba?

I did this the other day and apsfilter set the whole thing up
automatically. It was simple.

1. Laser Printer by Brother (HL-1240)

[Posted and mailed]

IIRC, the HL-1240 is a semi-crippled beast. It supports some relatively
low level of PCL (PCL 4 or thereabouts), which means you can get it to
crank out 300 dpi output under Linux, but no better. If you want a
Brother, look at the next higher-up model, the HL-1250, which is capable
of doing 600 dpi via PCL 5e.

If you want PostScript capability, there are other options, but most or
all of them will be more expensive than the low-end HL-1240 or even the
HL-1250. Beware of printers that have PostScript interpreters implemented
as Windows drivers; these are akin to Ghostscript, and do Linux users no
good.

--

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~smithrod
Author of _Special Edition Using Corel WordPerfect 8 for Linux_, from Que

2. How many Consoles?

3. Brother HL-1240

4. creating /dev/ entries

5. Q: 2.2.7 cd-rom & scsi emulation support?

6. Brother HL-730 & Linux & 600 dpi

7. Screen flicker with XFree 4.0.3

8. Printing & Brother HL-8PS

9. S:H: Driver for Brother HL-760-Printer under apsfilter

10. How to get Brother HL-630 working with apsfilter?

11. brother 1240

12. Q: How can I use a Brother HL-760 Printer via apsfilter?