newbie Upgrade a 3.0 RELEASE to LAST RELEASE

newbie Upgrade a 3.0 RELEASE to LAST RELEASE

Post by Laurent Breuillar » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi, I decided a few days ago to reinstall all my PC with a good OS and not
this stupid Win...98 !!!
And so, I take me FreeBSD 3.0 RELEASE and install it in me box.
All is ok but I want to upgrade it to have the latest release.
I have never do it and don't understand all they say in web site :(

Can U help me to do this ?

Lob

newbie Upgrade a 3.0 RELEASE to LAST RELEASE

Post by Steven G. Kar » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi, I decided a few days ago to reinstall all my PC with a good OS and not
> this stupid Win...98 !!!
> And so, I take me FreeBSD 3.0 RELEASE and install it in me box.
> All is ok but I want to upgrade it to have the latest release.
> I have never do it and don't understand all they say in web site :(

Check http://www.freebsd.org/ports/ for upgrade kits.

If you want to track the stable branch, then you'll want
to learn about cvsup.

--
Steve

1. newbie-question: upgrading 4.2-RELEASE to 4.3-RELEASE

Greetings,

A couple of days ago, I installed FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE on a (old) PC;
thinking this was the latest 'stable' release. (That where the floppies
I had on my boot-machine ...)

Turns out I was wrong; and the problem is I NEED 4.3-RELEASE as I intend
to use the box for VoIP (opengatekeeper, openam, openmcu) and I found a
message in groups.google.com saying there is a bug in 4.2-release which
causes these programs to crash. (the programs DO core-dump indead!)

So, I have two options.
- Completely reinstall the OS.
- Upgrade.

So, my question:
Is there a flexible way of upgrading a FreeBSD system from one major
release to another; if possible over the network without need of a
'console'?

One small question on the side.
What is the difference between a x.y-RELEASE and a x.y-STABLE release?

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.

2. CODE: Standalone ICP server for CERN caches

3. upgrading 3.5 Release to 4.0 Release error

4. Simple bash script to delete files

5. problem upgrading from 3.0-RELEASE to 3.2-STABLE

6. VPN, Roadwarrior, dynamic IP-Addresses

7. upgrade to 3.0-Release

8. xmh help

9. upgrade from 3.0-RELEASE

10. Press Release: IP2Location Released Free Geolocation Solution to Pinpoint Internet Visitors by IPv6 Address

11. Download release of AIX like release of Oracle is possible ?

12. Fdutils-5.1 released (floppy utilities) - bug fix release

13. will 2.1.5-RELEASE be released on C