Getting 'htpasswd' to work w/Apache & FreeBSD

Getting 'htpasswd' to work w/Apache & FreeBSD

Post by Damien Thor » Sat, 21 Sep 1996 04:00:00

We've operated the Apache httpd on FreeBSD for more than a year
without problem.  A client now needs to implement authentication to
several subdirectories, so we upgraded the the latest version of
Apache and compiled the HTPASSWD program to generate password files
for authentication.

However, we keep getting errors of "Password Mismatch."

In browsing some archives, I noted potential problems between DES and
MD5 encryption.  The server runs FreeBSD with MD5 (I assume), and
the copy of Apache we compiled came from the freebsd.org ports
collection and I assume is therefore patched appropriately.

We included -lcrypt as an extra lib when we compiled the htpasswd
binary as well.

Any clues or suggestions?  (Thanks in advance!)

Damien

Post by Ken Bigelo » Sat, 21 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> We've operated the Apache httpd on FreeBSD for more than a year
> without problem.  A client now needs to implement authentication to
> several subdirectories, so we upgraded the the latest version of
> Apache and compiled the HTPASSWD program to generate password files
> for authentication.

> However, we keep getting errors of "Password Mismatch."

> In browsing some archives, I noted potential problems between DES and
> MD5 encryption.  The server runs FreeBSD with MD5 (I assume), and
> the copy of Apache we compiled came from the freebsd.org ports
> collection and I assume is therefore patched appropriately.

> We included -lcrypt as an extra lib when we compiled the htpasswd
> binary as well.

> Any clues or suggestions?  (Thanks in advance!)

Try this (which is what I did): Recompile apache and include the module
on dbm databases. (Not essential, but very desirable if you want to
handle lots of users without long linear name searches.) Then use the
dbmmanage utility provided with apache to manipulate the dbm files. I
put my dbm files into a new directory of /www (as opposed to apache's
/usr/local/www path), so they can't be accessed by browsers, but can be
specified in the .htaccess files and accessed for authentication.

Note that the web access passwords are totally separate from the system
login passwords, and should remain so.
--
Ken

Are you interested in   |
byte-sized education    |   http://www.play-hookey.com
over the Internet?      |

Getting 'htpasswd' to work w/Apache & FreeBSD

Post by Martin Cracaue » Sat, 21 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> We've operated the Apache httpd on FreeBSD for more than a year
> without problem.  A client now needs to implement authentication to
> several subdirectories, so we upgraded the the latest version of
> Apache and compiled the HTPASSWD program to generate password files
> for authentication.

> However, we keep getting errors of "Password Mismatch."

It works for me. Try generating the password file by hand. The easiest way
to get an encrypted password is not have a  temporary account, use `passwd
<thatname>` and then steal the password from  /etc/master.passwd. I don't
think is has to with different libraries.

Martin
--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

BIK Aschurwis + Behrens GmbH, Hamburg/Germany
Markt-, Media- und Regionalforschung
http://www.bik-gmbh.de/~cracauer

1. Can't Find 'htpasswd'

I hope someone can help.

I am trying to complete a simple user authentication on an Apache Web
server, but I keep comming across one problem.  Through all the suggesstion
I've been given, I am told to compile the password using a command
'htpasswd'.  I am unable to find this.

Any advice to where I may find it?

Thanks.

Anuj Jaity

2. Mouse problems

3. Want bash '&' to behave like csh '&'

4. In XLib programming (about pixmap)...

5. Apache's SSI doesn't work for virtural hosts' directories.

6. Help with talk

7. Apache - 'AllowOverride None' doesn't work!!!

8. 320x200 by default

9. Can 'require' override 'allow'/'deny' (Apache)

10. MouseMan and 'selection -t mm &' doesn't work.

11. Can't get '&' to work from inside a script

12. Getting XLock 'swirl' mode working:

13. What is 'stty', 'term' & 'tty'