AMD Am79c79x PCI Ethernet card

Post by Julien GAB » Sun, 16 Dec 2001 00:13:18

Hello,

I got exactly the same pb on an HP Kayak XA like "Max Files"
in the following message (end of the present mail) !... :(

I try to run correctly FreeBSD 4.4 on this machine, and I can
configure, bring up/down, etc., the pcn interface... but nothing
response (I can't ping any machine or gateway) but I didn't get
any error message. I don't know what to do...

Like "Max Files" with its RedHat, I'm using OpenBSD 2.9 and 3.0 on
this machine without any problem. Like FreeBSD, OpenBSD detect my
PCI card as an AMD card :
  - under FreeBSD 4.4 : AMD Am79c79x PCI
  - under OpenBSD 2.9/3.0 : AMD 79c970 PCnet-PCI LANCE

Can anyone help us ?

Thanks,
Julien.

Subject: NIC works w/3.4 but not 4.2
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
View this article only
Date: 2001-01-15 15:30:04 PST

I am running an HP Vectra VL computer with a built
in NIC. It's a PCI device built into the computer in
lieu of an actual card.

When I install 3.4-RELEASE the NIC is identified as:

  lnc1  PCNet PCI Ethernet adapter int a  irq 11 on pci10.11.0

and everything is just fine. All network functions are up
and running like normal.

When I install or attempt to install 4.2-RELEASE the
NIC gets identified as:

     pcn0     AMD Am79c79x PCI Ethernet card

and then nothing on the network functions.

Can anyone describe what one does in such a
dilema? All versions of RedHat from 5-7 load
and run on it without problems. I'm stumped as
to why one version of FBSD will run and another
will not.

AMD Am79c79x PCI Ethernet card

Post by Jan Goeb » Fri, 21 Dec 2001 08:33:06

Quote:> I try to run correctly FreeBSD 4.4 on this machine, and I can
> configure, bring up/down, etc., the pcn interface... but nothing
> response (I can't ping any machine or gateway) but I didn't get
> any error message. I don't know what to do...

The NIC works fine if you use the lnc-driver instead of the pcn-driver.
Don't ask me why.

1. Adaptec 2940 PCI SCSI controller; AMD 79C970 PCI ethernet card

I plan to get a Pentium 90 with 32MB RAM and 1GB SCSI-2 HD, with PCI/ISA
Bus and running Linux. After reading the various FAQs and HOWTOs, I still
have the following questions:

1. Does the latest Slackware Distribution 2.1.0 comes with the necessary
driver if I use the Adaptec 2940 PCI SCSI controller card? I would like
to hear the experiences of netters who have actually use this card. Does it
install and work smoothly?

2. Similarly, does the latest release of Linux suport the AMD 79C970
(PCnet-PCI) ethernet card? Is it reliable? Experiences with the actual
use of this card (both positive and negative) would be most helpful.

3. Please suggest alternative PCI SCSI controller card and PCI ethernet
card if you know of any other that will work better.

4. I have come across questions similar to mine being asked on linux
newsgroup before. Please email your reply to me and I will post a summary of

Hwee Tou Ng

2. How does slip turns port into network interface?

3. Adaptec 2940 PCI SCSI; AMD 79C970 PCI ethernet card

4. So, which do I install ???

5. AMD PCI Ethernet Card

6. Development questions

7. AMD PCNet PCI Ethernet Card Problem

8. Backspace Stopped working?

9. AMD PCI Ethernet card on Solaris 2.4

10. What is a Good AMD Based PCI Ethernet Card?

11. AMD am79c971 PCI Ethernet Card

12. Txpro mother board and AMD PCI ethernet card problem

13. PCI ethernet card shares irq with PCI scsi card