Bandwidth Limiting w/ IP Masq & User PPP

Bandwidth Limiting w/ IP Masq & User PPP

Post by Don O'Nei » Wed, 27 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Is there a package that will allow me to limit the PPP bandwidth used by a
particular internal host when user PPP is doing IP Masqarading?

We need to set priority to a set of machines during the day for important
file transfers and don't want other people's "browsing" getting too much in
the way.

Thanks!

Bandwidth Limiting w/ IP Masq & User PPP

Post by Mike Tanc » Thu, 28 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Is there a package that will allow me to limit the PPP bandwidth used by a
>particular internal host when user PPP is doing IP Masqarading?

see man dummynet

        ---Mike

Sentex Communications Corp,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Post by Wilko Bul » Thu, 28 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Is there a package that will allow me to limit the PPP bandwidth used by a
>particular internal host when user PPP is doing IP Masqarading?
>We need to set priority to a set of machines during the day for important
>file transfers and don't want other people's "browsing" getting too much in
>the way.

Search the mailing list archives for 'Dummynet'

W/

--
Wilko
_     ______________________________________________________________________

 |/|/ / / /( (_) Arnhem, The Netherlands          WWW  : http://www.tcja.nl

Bandwidth Limiting w/ IP Masq & User PPP

Post by Don O'Nei » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00

The only reference I can find to this is in the 2.2.7 release note (which I
am unfortunately not running). Is there another resource for this? Even the
online MAN pages on my 3.0 machine and freebsd.org don't seem to have any
info.

Thanks!

Post by Karl Wie » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00

} The only reference I can find to this is in the 2.2.7 release note (which I
} am unfortunately not running). Is there another resource for this? Even the
} online MAN pages on my 3.0 machine and freebsd.org don't seem to have any
} info.
[ ... ]

} >Search the mailing list archives for 'Dummynet'

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=dummynet&apropos=0&sektion=4...

You might also wish to look into ALTQ:

http://www.csl.sony.co.jp/person/kjc/programs.html#ALTQ

HTH.

--Karl
--

"Order is a form of repetition compulsion" --Freud
"Order is a form of repetition compulsion" --Freud
"Order is a form of repetition compulsion" --Freud

Bandwidth Limiting w/ IP Masq & User PPP

Post by Luigi Rizz » Sat, 30 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> The only reference I can find to this is in the 2.2.7 release note (which I
> am unfortunately not running). Is there another resource for this? Even the
> online MAN pages on my 3.0 machine and freebsd.org don't seem to have any
> info.

it is also part of 2.2.8 and was introduced in 3.0-current slightly
after the release so you should not have problems upgrading your system
to it

        cheers
        luigi

-----------------------------------+-------------------------------------
  Luigi RIZZO                      .

  HTTP://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/  . Universita` di Pisa
  TEL/FAX: +39-050-568.533/522     . via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
-----------------------------------+-------------------------------------

1. Limiting bandwidth across IP masq

I have a linux box currently running ip-masquerading via two network cards.
 I managed to snag a connection to a UUNet T1 (via a Cisco router), but
with one condition.  I have to limit bandwidth utilization to 128K during
the day because I can't interfere with other traffic on the pipe.

Can I configure my server to throttle bandwidth back during the day, but
allow full usage at night?

James Sharp

2. ipx router

3. IP Bandwidth Limiting per user

4. File Sets

5. IP Masq & Diald & PPP

6. Error Redhat System Control Panel

7. mail config for PPP & IP Masq

8. cpio

9. HELP!!! IP-Masq & PPP Serious PROBLEM!!!!!

10. IP Masq'd Workstation to connect to IP Masq'd Workstation

11. bandwidth control with IP Masq?

12. QUESTION: IP Masq, Modem Sharing - Bandwidth

13. IP Masq - Specify IP to Masq as?