Can't get Dial-up-on-demand using PPP/NAT to work

Can't get Dial-up-on-demand using PPP/NAT to work

Post by Dale Rodgi » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 10:14:13

I am trying to set up a FreeBSD system to dial-up-on-demand using PPP/NAT
but with limited success.

I am able to connect via PPP to the internet and ping IP addresses and URLs
on the internet. I can also access web sites using Lynx on the FreeBSD
machine.

I have a Mac connected to the FreeBSD box by ethernet. Sometimes I can
access the IP address (192.168.0.100) of the FreeBSD box (FTP etc) and other
times I can't.

I am using FreeBSD 4.7 and Pacific Internet as my ISP.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

1. linux 2.018/kerneld/PPP dial on demand: 'network unreachable' then starts dialling

I recently upgradet to the 2.0.18 kernel from 1.2.13, and decided to
switch from using diald to the kerneld-based dial-on-demand solution
documented in the kerneld READMEs.

Most of the time, my connections come up OK (except for some
irrelevant rumbles that I suspect are due to a misconfiguration
on my ISP's side), but when I try starting ncftp from the command
line, I get this:

--------[snip]---------

NcFTP: nic.funet.fi (101): Network is unreachable

NcFTP 1.9.4 (April 15, 1995) by Mike Gleason, NCEMRSoft.

Tip: If you don't want a .ncrecent file in your home directory, put
the
     command '#unset recent-list' in your .ncftprc file.

ncftp>
--------[snip]---------

then, after some seconds, my modem starts dialling and a PPP
connection gets established. To me, it looks like ncftp times
out immediately, but kerneld processes the package anyway.

Is it possible to devise a workaround for this?

- Peter

2. Using Win95 Longfile names

3. PPP demand dialing won't work under 2.2.3 ???

4. If you want to connect using any operating ...

5. PPP problems - "Dial on Demand" won't dial

6. Connecting to Solaris CDE from X-Terminal

7. FreeBSD3.3 PPP -nat dial on demand gateway ..need to open a few ports...

8. cc & srand()

9. Can't Get PPP Working - Chat (ppp-on) script won't dial

10. 2.3 -> 2.7 via Dial-up (Re: CVS over 'dropping' dial-ups)

11. demand dialing vs. the other demand dialing

12. ppp+pppoed: Works except demand dialling

13. ppp-2.3.1 demand dialing does not work in RedHat 4.2