Where is the Time Zone setting recorded?

Where is the Time Zone setting recorded?

Post by Scott Lambe » Sun, 03 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I did an FTP install of FreeBSD 2.2.8 a couple of days ago.  The download was
going slowly so I went home to bed while it completed.  When I came back, the
system had been re-booted from the install floppy which was, of course, still
in the drive.  I don't know what caused the machine to re-boot.  There were
no power problems.

Anyway, I pulled the floppy and eventually got the thing to boot.  It still
recognized the network and most all of the stuff was there so I just CVSuped
2.2-STABLE and did a 'make world'.  All went well.  I installed the server
processes needed for this machine and put it into production as a radius
server.

A couple of hours later we noticed that the times were 6 hours fast.  It
thought it was in GMT.  So I went hunting in /etc but couldn't find a Time
Zone setting.  Eventually, we resorted to /stand/sysinstall and everything
looked once we set the Time Zone.  Unfortunately, a day or so later we re-
booted and he again thought he was in GMT.

Where is the TZ setting and how do I make it stick?

Thanks,
Scott Lambert

--
Scott Lambert

Post by Patrick TJ McPh » Sun, 03 Jan 1999 04:00:00

% Where is the TZ setting and how do I make it stick?

 /etc/localtime

Look at
 man tzfile
 man zic

You can probably also just copy one of the files under /usr/share/zoneinfo.
--

Patrick TJ McPhee
East York  Canada

1. how to set time and time zone correctly?

date returned by "date" on my linux system is always 4 hours behind
the real time, with something like this:
Mon Jul  1 09:37:22 EDT 1996
when the real time 13:37 EDT.

I think that my PC's machine clock is 13:37. It looks that linux think
the machine's time is GMT, thus set the local time (EDT) to 09:37.
How can I make linux think that the machine's time is local time,
rather than GMT?

I also found that just after I started the system, I got:
Mon Jul  1 13:37:22 1996
without the timezone. Shortly I will get:
Mon Jul  1 09:37:22 EDT 1996

if I use "date" to set the new date to "13:37:22", I think that it will
set the machine's clock to "17:37:22". Thus the time within windows and
DOS won't be correct.

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot.

--

Queen's University               Tel: (613) 545-2723 (o)
Kingston, Ontario K7L 3N6             (613) 547-1353 (h)

2. Help: why make modules doesn't work

3. How to set format.dat information for zoned bit recording drives?

4. remote printing on a HP Laserjet 1200

5. How to set Date/Time zone on Linux?

6. Client NFS File Locking

7. how do I set my time zone ??

8. easy newbie question

9. How to set time zone?

10. How to set Date/Time zone on Linux?

11. setting time zone

12. Setting date correctly for my time zone

13. set time zone