PS/2 Mouse

Post by cj.. » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I am trying to install FReeBSD 2.2.1 on a NEC Versa 4000D notebook which has a glidepoint mouse.  I have not been able to get the driver into the FreeBSD kernel.  I tried to rebuild the kernel but without success.  I even copied the LINT file and take out this and that which I don't need, but still without success.  Is there anyway of getting it to work?  Please help.
Thanks.

Regards,
C. J. Tan

PS/2 Mouse

Post by cj.. » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I have since solved the problem.  I don't know exactly what I did, but I got it going!  The system now recognizes the glidepoint mouse and I am trying to get the fvxm95 going.

Regards,
C. J. Tam
------------------------

  Subject: PS/2 Mouse
  Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 04:59:26 -0700
gary.ca

I am trying to install FReeBSD 2.2.1 on a NEC Versa 4000D notebook which has a glidepoint mouse.  I have not been able to get the driver into the FreeBSD kernel.  I tried to rebuild the kernel but without success.  I even copied the LINT file and take out this and that which I don't need, but still without success.  Is there anyway of getting it to work?  Please help.
Thanks.

Regards,
C. J. Tan

PS/2 Mouse

Post by Kazutaka YOKO » Tue, 24 Jun 1997 04:00:00

cjtan>>I am trying to install FReeBSD 2.2.1 on a NEC Versa 4000D notebook which has a glidepoint mouse.  I have not been able to get the driver into the FreeBSD kernel.  I tried to rebuild the kernel but without success.  I even copied the LINT file and take out this and that which I don't need, but still without success.  Is there anyway of getting it to work?  Please help.

FreeBSD 2.2.1 include the PS/2 mouse driver (psm0) in the GENERIC kernel,
but the driver is disabled by default.

You don't need to recompile the kernel to use the driver, but just need
to enable it. When the driver is disabled, you see the message

    psm0: disabled, not probed

during the boot process.

To enable the psm0 device, specify the flag "-c" to the "Boot:" prompt
when you start the system and enter

    enable psm0
    quit

at the kernel configuration (UserConfig) prompt, then the driver
is enabled and your mouse (pad) should be probed. You will see something
like:

    psm0 at 0x60-0x64 irq 12 on motherboard

If you see

    psm0 not found at 0x60

the driver somehow failed to detect your mouse. In this case, a bit
more detective work is necessary. Specify the "-v" option at the
"Boot:" prompt when you start the system. Once the system is up and
running, run the `dmesg' command and watch out for error messages.
You should be looking for the lines "psm0: ..." and "kbdio: ..."

Please send the entire `dmesg' output to me, I might be able to help
you.

Kazu