How do I stop top priority processes?

Post by vector_sigm » Wed, 18 Apr 2001 02:23:33

Hi there:

  I burn my CD on an IDE cd-burner using FreeBSD 3.4 with the following

rtprio 5 team -v 1m 5 < $1 | rtprio 5 dd of=$flame obs=20k

  When I run into problems (e.g., drive won't burn), I can't stop my
script even as root, and I had no choice but to do **manual** reset
(keyboard is unresponsive).

  Is there a way I can stop these top priority processes if they run
astray?

  Thanks.

vector sigma

Post by Nick Hilliar » Wed, 18 Apr 2001 19:01:25

>   I burn my CD on an IDE cd-burner using FreeBSD 3.4 with the following

> rtprio 5 team -v 1m 5 < $1 | rtprio 5 dd of=$flame obs=20k

Oops, baaaaaaad idea that.

Quote:>   When I run into problems (e.g., drive won't burn), I can't stop my
> script even as root, and I had no choice but to do **manual** reset
> (keyboard is unresponsive).

>   Is there a way I can stop these top priority processes if they run
> astray?

No.  If a RT priority blocks on a resource, then all other processes will be
forced to queue up behind it and will themselves block.  For this reason, using
rtprio for IO-bound applications like this something which probably won't gain
you too much at best, and at worst, will jam up your machine.

If you're burning CD's, just make sure that the machine is generally idle at the
time.

Nick

How do I stop top priority processes?

Post by vector_sigm » Wed, 18 Apr 2001 22:39:43

Thanks, Nick. I will be more careful next time.

1. Using TOP (monitoring top processes)

Could anyone help me on how to configure the top ?
I ran the file top but nothing happened.....

I tried running ps but an error messages stated that the /proc is not
mounted.....
I tried what the message suggested but nothing happened
It suggested something like below:
mount /proc  /proc/proc default

I put the above line in the ftabs file... but still nothing happened...
I don't have the so called "default" file....

Can anyone please tell me what's the problem and help me configure so
that I could use the "top" or "ps" program....

Thank you....

Stanley...

2. SCO Unix device driver

3. kill -STOP <PID#> -> "child process has been stopped, restarting." ?

4. DM3024 and Plug-and-Play Linux

5. Gates says security is now a top priority for Windows!

6. Typical Linux Zealot response

7. Top shows low priority with biowr, biord

8. term 2.2.x slow interactive response

9. Viewing real-time priorities with top?

10. Can a signal be sent to process when another process dies or stops?

11. how do i get top priority search engine listing

12. NICE/TOP and priorities [Info]

13. Priority in ps/top command on Sgi