3dFx Banshee & FreeBSD

3dFx Banshee & FreeBSD

Post by Thomas O'Connel » Wed, 03 Nov 1999 04:00:00



The default settings for XFree86 3.3.5 for the banshee chipset don't
seem to work well.. windows don't refresh at all (just glad I got
*something* to start up!)

I was wondering if anybody has had any luck with getting the various
banshee servers working under FreeBSD.  There's one at 3dfxgamers.com
and another can be found at www.creativelabs.com..  I've tried the
latter, but doesn't work.  Both seem rather linux specific (regardless
of binary compatibility).

Thanks,
Thomas

--
        )|||(    I get enough exercise
        (0 o)          just pushing my luck     |----------------|
|--0000--(_)--0000------------------------------|  ICQ# 1341568  |

|----------------------------------------------------------------|

 
 
 

3dFx Banshee & FreeBSD

Post by sagej.. » Fri, 05 Nov 1999 04:00:00


the 3.3.5 compiled binaries for freebsd include a 3dfx banshee
driver...  no included glide, but it does the 2d nice.  if you can't get
it to work, make sure you have updated 3.3.5 servers too (i worked for
about a week only to find old servers)

~jtsage



> The default settings for XFree86 3.3.5 for the banshee chipset don't
> seem to work well.. windows don't refresh at all (just glad I got
> *something* to start up!)

> I was wondering if anybody has had any luck with getting the various
> banshee servers working under FreeBSD.  There's one at 3dfxgamers.com
> and another can be found at www.creativelabs.com..  I've tried the
> latter, but doesn't work.  Both seem rather linux specific (regardless
> of binary compatibility).

> Thanks,
> Thomas

> --
>         )|||(    I get enough exercise
>         (0 o)          just pushing my luck     |----------------|
> |--0000--(_)--0000------------------------------|  ICQ# 1341568  |

> |----------------------------------------------------------------|

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

3dFx Banshee & FreeBSD

Post by Thomas O'Connel » Sat, 06 Nov 1999 04:00:00



> the 3.3.5 compiled binaries for freebsd include a 3dfx banshee
> driver...  no included glide, but it does the 2d nice.  if you can't get
> it to work, make sure you have updated 3.3.5 servers too (i worked for
> about a week only to find old servers)

> ~jtsage

Really, by 'driver' you mean using the SVGA server, with the "Voodoo
Banhshee (generic)" profile?  I can get that to run, but with windows
leaving traces when you move them.. LOTS of traces.... of course, this
is with twm.. haven't hooked up anything more robust as of yet, but
figure it's more of a server issue??

thoughts?

thanks though,
Thomas

--
        )|||(    I get enough exercise
        (0 o)          just pushing my luck     |----------------|
|--0000--(_)--0000------------------------------|  ICQ# 1341568  |

|----------------------------------------------------------------|

 
 
 

3dFx Banshee & FreeBSD

Post by sagej.. » Sat, 06 Nov 1999 04:00:00


yup, driver being synonymous with x server...  sorry, used to be a
windows user...  i have had 0 problems with refresh, with the exception
of a poorly written ftp program not refreshing when it is downloading.
*might* be the window manager...  i'm using KDE...

~jtsage

In article <3822EDAA.7C03



> > the 3.3.5 compiled binaries for freebsd include a 3dfx banshee
> > driver...  no included glide, but it does the 2d nice.  if you can't
get
> > it to work, make sure you have updated 3.3.5 servers too (i worked
for
> > about a week only to find old servers)

> > ~jtsage

> Really, by 'driver' you mean using the SVGA server, with the "Voodoo
> Banhshee (generic)" profile?  I can get that to run, but with windows
> leaving traces when you move them.. LOTS of traces.... of course, this
> is with twm.. haven't hooked up anything more robust as of yet, but
> figure it's more of a server issue??

> thoughts?

> thanks though,
> Thomas

> --
>         )|||(    I get enough exercise
>         (0 o)          just pushing my luck     |----------------|
> |--0000--(_)--0000------------------------------|  ICQ# 1341568  |

> |----------------------------------------------------------------|

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.
 
 
 

3dFx Banshee & FreeBSD

Post by Hartoy » Thu, 11 Nov 1999 04:56:00



> the 3.3.5 compiled binaries for freebsd include a 3dfx banshee
> driver...  no included glide, but it does the 2d nice.  if you can't get
> it to work, make sure you have updated 3.3.5 servers too (i worked for
> about a week only to find old servers)

> ~jtsage



> > The default settings for XFree86 3.3.5 for the banshee chipset don't
> > seem to work well.. windows don't refresh at all (just glad I got
> > *something* to start up!)

> > I was wondering if anybody has had any luck with getting the various
> > banshee servers working under FreeBSD.  There's one at 3dfxgamers.com
> > and another can be found at www.creativelabs.com..  I've tried the
> > latter, but doesn't work.  Both seem rather linux specific (regardless
> > of binary compatibility).

> > Thanks,
> > Thomas

My banshee works great though
I installed FreeBSD 3.2 and download the xf86 source and compiled it on
my machine. No problem (except the long wait for compile - my system is
kindda old, pentium pro 200). But after that everything running great.
It's 3.3.5 version (which included in FreeBSD 3.3).

--

Microsoft: Where do you want to go today?
Linux    : Where do you want to go tomorrow?
FreeBSD  : Are you guys coming or what?
=============================================
                 FreeBSD - The power to serve

 
 
 

3dFx Banshee & FreeBSD

Post by Thomas David River » Fri, 19 Nov 1999 04:00:00




> > the 3.3.5 compiled binaries for freebsd include a 3dfx banshee
> > driver...  no included glide, but it does the 2d nice.  if you can't get
> > it to work, make sure you have updated 3.3.5 servers too (i worked for
> > about a week only to find old servers)

> > ~jtsage

> Really, by 'driver' you mean using the SVGA server, with the "Voodoo
> Banhshee (generic)" profile?  I can get that to run, but with windows
> leaving traces when you move them.. LOTS of traces.... of course, this
> is with twm.. haven't hooked up anything more robust as of yet, but
> figure it's more of a server issue??

> thoughts?

> thanks though,
> Thomas

> --
>         )|||(    I get enough exercise
>         (0 o)          just pushing my luck     |----------------|
> |--0000--(_)--0000------------------------------|  ICQ# 1341568  |

> |----------------------------------------------------------------|

I just upgraded to a creative-labs 3dfx Voodoo Banshee.

I get the same `traces' - things not redrawn correctly.

This isn't an artifact of the window manager (I don't
believe) - something "funky" is going on in XFree86.

Did anyone already figure out what this problem was?

    - Dave Rivers -

--

Get your mainframe (370) `C' compiler at http://www.dignus.com

 
 
 

3dFx Banshee & FreeBSD

Post by John Rap » Sat, 20 Nov 1999 04:00:00



>--------------B344175FA2200E6E68569CB3
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit



>> Really, by 'driver' you mean using the SVGA server, with the "Voodoo
>> Banhshee (generic)" profile?  I can get that to run, but with windows
>> leaving traces when you move them.. LOTS of traces.... of course, this
>> is with twm.. haven't hooked up anything more robust as of yet, but
>> figure it's more of a server issue??

>> thoughts?

>I just upgraded to a creative-labs 3dfx Voodoo Banshee.

>I get the same `traces' - things not redrawn correctly.

>This isn't an artifact of the window manager (I don't
>believe) - something "funky" is going on in XFree86.

>Did anyone already figure out what this problem was?

I used to get some odd drawing mistakes using an older version
of XFree on a different kind of chip, so it may not be a similar
situation, but I was able to solve the problem by experimenting
with options in the server section of XF86Config.  First try
option "noaccel"
If that clears it up, there are more specific options you can try
that don't disable acceleration entirely.  "xaa_no_color_exp"
was what I needed, if i remember correctly.
See the man page for XF86_SVGA.

--
-john           Finally the day came when I did desperately want a job.
                I needed it.  Not having another minute to lose,
                I decided that I would take the last job on earth,
                that of messenger boy.          -- Henry Miller

 
 
 

3dFx Banshee & FreeBSD

Post by Thomas David River » Sat, 20 Nov 1999 04:00:00




> >--------------B344175FA2200E6E68569CB3
> >Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> >Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit



> >> Really, by 'driver' you mean using the SVGA server, with the "Voodoo
> >> Banhshee (generic)" profile?  I can get that to run, but with windows
> >> leaving traces when you move them.. LOTS of traces.... of course, this
> >> is with twm.. haven't hooked up anything more robust as of yet, but
> >> figure it's more of a server issue??

> >> thoughts?

> >I just upgraded to a creative-labs 3dfx Voodoo Banshee.

> >I get the same `traces' - things not redrawn correctly.

> >This isn't an artifact of the window manager (I don't
> >believe) - something "funky" is going on in XFree86.

> >Did anyone already figure out what this problem was?

> I used to get some odd drawing mistakes using an older version
> of XFree on a different kind of chip, so it may not be a similar
> situation, but I was able to solve the problem by experimenting
> with options in the server section of XF86Config.  First try
> option "noaccel"
> If that clears it up, there are more specific options you can try
> that don't disable acceleration entirely.  "xaa_no_color_exp"
> was what I needed, if i remember correctly.
> See the man page for XF86_SVGA.

> --
> -john           Finally the day came when I did desperately want a job.
>                 I needed it.  Not having another minute to lose,
>                 I decided that I would take the last job on earth,
>                 that of messenger boy.          -- Henry Miller

Yes - adding
    Option "noaccel"
to the Device entry for the card did "correct" the problem.

However, X is *painfully* slow now - particularly when
moving windows around; so this isn't a viable long-term
solution.

By the way - I should add that this is an AGP card; could
there be some issue there?

    - Dave Rivers -

--

Get your mainframe (370) `C' compiler at http://www.dignus.com

 
 
 

3dFx Banshee & FreeBSD

Post by John Rap » Sat, 20 Nov 1999 04:00:00



Quote:

>Yes - adding
>    Option "noaccel"
>to the Device entry for the card did "correct" the problem.

>However, X is *painfully* slow now - particularly when
>moving windows around; so this isn't a viable long-term
>solution.

Try experimenting with the other flags listed in man XF86_SVGA.
In my case I was able to find a specific feature to turn off
which didn't degrade the performance noticeably.  Do try
"xaa_no_color_exp" instead of "noaccel"; I think that was the
one that worked for me.  However this would be very chipset
dependent.

--
-john           Finally the day came when I did desperately want a job.
                I needed it.  Not having another minute to lose,
                I decided that I would take the last job on earth,
                that of messenger boy.          -- Henry Miller

 
 
 

3dFx Banshee & FreeBSD

Post by Thomas O'Connel » Sat, 20 Nov 1999 04:00:00


For me, running a fancier window manager (Enlightenment) seemed to make
it go away.. dunno.

Thomas



> >Yes - adding
> >    Option "noaccel"
> >to the Device entry for the card did "correct" the problem.

> >However, X is *painfully* slow now - particularly when
> >moving windows around; so this isn't a viable long-term
> >solution.

> Try experimenting with the other flags listed in man XF86_SVGA.
> In my case I was able to find a specific feature to turn off
> which didn't degrade the performance noticeably.  Do try
> "xaa_no_color_exp" instead of "noaccel"; I think that was the
> one that worked for me.  However this would be very chipset
> dependent.

> --
> -john           Finally the day came when I did desperately want a job.
>                 I needed it.  Not having another minute to lose,
>                 I decided that I would take the last job on earth,
>                 that of messenger boy.          -- Henry Miller

--
        )|||(    I get enough exercise
        (0 o)          just pushing my luck     |----------------|
|--0000--(_)--0000------------------------------|  ICQ# 1341568  |

|----------------------------------------------------------------|
 
 
 

3dFx Banshee & FreeBSD

Post by Thomas David River » Sat, 20 Nov 1999 04:00:00



> For me, running a fancier window manager (Enlightenment) seemed to make
> it go away.. dunno.

I would _guess_ that Enlightenment is redrawing a lot of stuff, which
may be covering up the problem....  the problem definately looks
related to low-level routines...

    - Dave Rivers -

--

Get your mainframe (370) `C' compiler at http://www.dignus.com

 
 
 

3dFx Banshee & FreeBSD

Post by Thomas David River » Sat, 20 Nov 1999 04:00:00


Just to keep up-to-date;
I've discovered (as I mentioned)
that if I add

   Option  "noaccel"

then I have a "correct" (albeit far
too slow to use) X server.

Others suggested I try to find, perhaps
a single option that I can apply which
may correct the problem.

I've read the XF86_SVGA man page,
and then did a strings on the server
itself to find other interesting items.

I've currently tried the following
options - none of which seem to bear
on my problem:

   Option          "xaa_no_color_exp"
   Option          "no_pixmap_cache"
   Option          "fifo_conservative"
   Option          "slow_dram"
   Option          "sgram"
   Option          "no_2mb_banksel"
   Option          "no_bitblt"
   Option          "no_imageblt"
   Option          "no_block_write"
   Option          "no_split_xfer"
   Option          "no_2mb_banksel"

 I'm not sure if I mentioned, but this
 is an AGP card - in case that matters.

 And, with these options enabled, the
X server still uses the following "accelerations"
(which I haven't found a way of disabling):

(--) SVGA: Virtual resolution set to 1152x864
(--) SVGA: SpeedUp code selection modified because virtualX != 1024
(--) SVGA: Using XAA (XFree86 Acceleration Architecture)
(**) SVGA: Pixmap cache disabled
(--) SVGA: XAA: Solid filled rectangles
(--) SVGA: XAA: Screen-to-screen copy
(--) SVGA: XAA: 8x8 color expand pattern fill
(--) SVGA: XAA: General lines and segments

Assuming the problem is an acceleration-related
issue, and that all the XAA improvements are listed,
the problem must lie with one of these....

Or - as it looks like part of the screen is incorrectly
copied around - it could be because I'm using 1152x864
instead of 1024x768...

    - Dave Rivers -

--

Get your mainframe (370) `C' compiler at http://www.dignus.com

 
 
 

3dFx Banshee & FreeBSD

Post by Scott J. Bert » Sun, 21 Nov 1999 04:00:00




Quote:> Just to keep up-to-date;
> I've discovered (as I mentioned)
> that if I add

>    Option  "noaccel"

> then I have a "correct" (albeit far
> too slow to use) X server.

I'm coming late to this thread, but there is a known bug in XFree86 3.3.5
for the Voodoo Banshee/Voodoo3 cards that causes some operations to be
drawn with an incorrect ROP (ie XOR source & destination instead of
replacing the destination) some of the time.  This was supposed to have
been fixed before 3.3.5 was released, but the patch got lost.  The next
version of XFree86 will fix this.

If this doesn't match the problem you are seeing, please contact me via
e-mail.  I wrote most of the 2D acceleration functions, so I should be
able to help you track down the problem.

Scott J. Bertin

 
 
 

3dFx Banshee & FreeBSD

Post by Thomas David River » Mon, 22 Nov 1999 04:00:00





> > Just to keep up-to-date;
> > I've discovered (as I mentioned)
> > that if I add

> >    Option  "noaccel"

> > then I have a "correct" (albeit far
> > too slow to use) X server.

> I'm coming late to this thread, but there is a known bug in XFree86 3.3.5
> for the Voodoo Banshee/Voodoo3 cards that causes some operations to be
> drawn with an incorrect ROP (ie XOR source & destination instead of
> replacing the destination) some of the time.  This was supposed to have
> been fixed before 3.3.5 was released, but the patch got lost.  The next
> version of XFree86 will fix this.

> If this doesn't match the problem you are seeing, please contact me via
> e-mail.  I wrote most of the 2D acceleration functions, so I should be
> able to help you track down the problem.

I'm not sure if this matches or not.

The effects one sees are that moving a window `bleeds' (leaves
traces) - or sometimes copies into the wrong location on the screen.

Also - in 1280x1024 - if you simply start up X with the
normal stipple; you can see that several blocks on the screen
(rather large ones, given the resolution) are not drawn.

If you'd care to share the patch, I can rebuild 3.3.5
and let you know if that corrects the problem.

    - -Dave Rivers -

--

Get your mainframe (370) `C' compiler at http://www.dignus.com

 
 
 

3dFx Banshee & FreeBSD

Post by Patrick Hutchinso » Mon, 22 Nov 1999 04:00:00


I have this same problem with my Creative Voodoo Banshee AGP board. When
I went from XFree86 3.3.3 to 3.3.5 it started. I get strange lines
flickering all over the screen. If anyone knows of a patch to fix this
please let me know.

-Patrick




> > Just to keep up-to-date;
> > I've discovered (as I mentioned)
> > that if I add

> >    Option  "noaccel"

> > then I have a "correct" (albeit far
> > too slow to use) X server.

> I'm coming late to this thread, but there is a known bug in XFree86 3.3.5
> for the Voodoo Banshee/Voodoo3 cards that causes some operations to be
> drawn with an incorrect ROP (ie XOR source & destination instead of
> replacing the destination) some of the time.  This was supposed to have
> been fixed before 3.3.5 was released, but the patch got lost.  The next
> version of XFree86 will fix this.

> If this doesn't match the problem you are seeing, please contact me via
> e-mail.  I wrote most of the 2D acceleration functions, so I should be
> able to help you track down the problem.

> Scott J. Bertin


 
 
 

1. 3dfx & glide with Banshee Card

one word - how?

I know it has something to do with Mesa and some glide driver, but I
haven't been able to piece the bits together...

is there a thorough how-to anywhere? (pref that goes thru compiles,
configs and installs)

can't you spot the linux newbie? :)

TIA,
Steve


2. x86: precompiled gcc, binutils, gmake

3. 3dfx Banshee & XWindows

4. Very stupid question

5. 3dfx Banshee and SVGATextMode

6. HELP! X freezes solid

7. Drivers for S3 Savage3D 3Dfx Voodoo Banshee

8. He Started Cleaning Carpets...

9. 3dfx Banshee

10. Help: Banshee 3Dfx

11. Creative Lab Banshee 3DFX Voodoo2 anyone fot it 2 work?

12. 3DFX Banshee and Solaris 7

13. XFree86 BSD and the 3dfx VooDoo Banshee