chflags question

Post by Daniel Rud » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 03:33:50

Hello,

        Anyone know what the purpose of the opaque and nodump flags is?  The
man page is not exactly clear.
--
Daniel Rudy
Reply to dcrudy at aol dot com.

*!*!* DO NOT HIT REPLY *!*!*
ALL EMAIL SENT TO REPLY ADDRESS WILL BE DELETED!

chflags question

Post by David Malo » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 04:10:20

>    Anyone know what the purpose of the opaque and nodump flags is?  The
>man page is not exactly clear.

The nodump flag means that the file will not be backed up by the
dump program. The opaque flag means (according to the chflags(2)
man page):

        The directory is opaque when viewed through a union stack.

Have a look at the mount man page and look at the "union" option.
I think this is what this applies to.

        David.

chflags question

Post by Daniel Rud » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 03:22:52

> >       Anyone know what the purpose of the opaque and nodump flags is?  The
> >man page is not exactly clear.

> The nodump flag means that the file will not be backed up by the
> dump program. The opaque flag means (according to the chflags(2)
> man page):

>         The directory is opaque when viewed through a union stack.

> Have a look at the mount man page and look at the "union" option.
> I think this is what this applies to.

>         David.

Ok, now that makes sense.  Question two:  Why would someone want to use
the union option?
--
Daniel Rudy
Reply to dcrudy at aol dot com.

*!*!* DO NOT HIT REPLY *!*!*
ALL EMAIL SENT TO REPLY ADDRESS WILL BE DELETED!

1. securelevel & chflags question.

hi all,

   I read the manpages ofchflags, but i still donot understand
what is the meaning of archived & opaque flags. Can anyone explaint to me?
The manpages of init, securelevel 2 is "same as secure mode,
plus disks may not be opened for writing (except by mount) whether mounted
or not. ".  but i still donot understand it. anyone can help me?

Regards,
jkng

2. Pls help me we want buy Video CHIPSET "Conexant" Fusion878A(BT878A)

3. prb with chflags

4. how to change print que name

5. chflags not change flags at symlink

6. IBM ViaVoice for Linux

7. Upgrading to FBSD3.4: chflags problems?

8. Programmatically signing in as root?

9. make installkernel error with chflags

10. chflags

11. locked system on bootup with immutable chflags

12. chflags problem

13. 4.4BSD (and others) chflags, sysctl, and secure levels